|Stories subject to change up until showtime|
|Thanks to everyone who supports Daily Tech News Show directly. To find out more head to dailytechnewsshow.com/support|
|play the opening music here....|
|This is the Daily Tech News for Wednesday Sept 12th 2018. In LA, I'm Tom Merritt|
|From studio Feline, I'm Sarah Lane|
|And i'm the show's Producer Roger Chang|
|:31||TM||Let's start with a few tech things you should know...|
|play the news segue music here....|
|sl||Today, Uber unveiled a full rebrand which the company says first began nine months ago, in order to make company branding more clear as Uber continues to expand into new and different markets. Gone is the Uber symbol that’s been featured on its app icon for the past two years which the company said confused customers.||https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/get-an-exclusive-look-at-ubers-new-brand-revamp/|
|SCOTT||Nintendo Switch Online will launch on September 18th for $20 per year, $3.99 per month or $7.99 for three months.||https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/12/nintendo-switch-online-service-will-launch-on-september-18th/|
|TM||The US FCC says it has paused its review of a potential merger of Sprint and T-Mobile to give it more time to analyze submissions on network expansion and expected benefits of the merger coming from both companies. T-Mobile is also submitting additional economic modeling. The 180-day review period will hold at day 55 for now. The merger is also being reviewed by the US Department of Justice.||https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sprint-corp-m-a-t-mobile-us/fcc-pauses-review-of-t-mobile-sprint-merger-idUSKCN1LR2GV?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews|
|SL||Verizon Communications confirmed today that Guru Gowrappan will replace Tim Armstrong as the CEO of Oath and report to Verizon CEO Hans Vestberg. Armstrong will remain at the company to guide management transition efforts and report to Verizon chairman Lowell McAdam.||https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/12/tim-armstrong-is-out-at-oath/|
|SCOTT||Google's 4-year-old experimental email app Inbox will shut down in March. Many of the features from Inbox have been added to Gmail and a few others are on the way. ||https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17848500/google-inbox-shut-down-sunset-snooze-email-march-2019|
|Let's talk a little more about...|
|:33||TM||The European Parliament voted to approve an updated version of the Copyright Directive that it rejected in July. It still includes Articles 11 and 13 sometimes referred to as the link tax and upload filter. Article 11 now allows the sharing of just links without needing to pay, and Article 13 the upload filter, only applies to sites that hosts significant amounts of content and promotes that content, as well as an exception for small businesses. The directive faces a final vote in January. If it passes there, individual countries would then further refine how it is implemented across Europe.||https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/12/european-parliament-gives-thumbs-up-to-controversial-copyright-reforms/|
|:36||SL||Testers of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update have noticed a dialog box launches when installing Chrome or Firefox that says “You already have Microsoft Edge – the safer, faster browser for Windows 10.” The pop-ups can be turned off in settings.||https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17850146/microsoft-windows-10-chrome-firefox-warning|
|:38||SCOTT||Samsung opened its largest mobile store in Bengaluru Tuesday. The 3,000 square meter store will include mobile devices, other consumer electronics and a service center. It comes two months after Samsung opened its biggest smartphone plant in New Delhi.||https://www.reuters.com/article/us-samsung-elec-india/samsung-doubles-down-in-india-opens-its-biggest-store-world-wide-idUSKCN1LR0O5|
|:41||TM||Educational hardware company LittleBits announced three new kits available in time for the new school year in the US. The $10 Base Inventor Kit includes 10 bits that can be used to create a voice-controlled robotic hand, a smart lamp, or an intruder alarm, among other things. The $100 Electronic Music Inventor Kit has 8 bits that can become a keytar or a drum kit among others. And the $130 Space Rover Inventor Kit has 15 bits and 30 activities centered around an app-controlled planetary rover.||https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/12/littlebits-intros-three-kits-to-explore-music-space-and-more/|
|topic reader||To get all the tech headlines each day in about 5 minutes subscribe to dailytechheadlines.com||http://dailytechheadlines.com/|
|play the news segue music here....|
|:43||Apple Watch Series 4|
- 35% and 32% larger display
- Screen goes to the edge, curved corners
- Thiner for less total volume
- New complications
- New watch face with 8 complications (customizable) like tap a pic to connect with someone or add time zones
- Modular face has more detail, and apps like MLB for scores, or boarding info
- Breathe app available as a watchface, raise wrist to breathe
- Dynamic watch faces - fire, water, vapor
- Crown now just has red circle and haptic feedback
- Speaker now 50% louder, mic moved to opposite side of speaker
- Back black ceramic and sapphire crystal, transparent to radio
- 64-bit dual core S4 chip and new GPU both 2X performance
- accelerometer, gyroscope 2X dynamic rane, 32 g forces and 8 times faster sampling.
- Can identify falls. Calls 911 if you are immobile for 1 minute.
- 3 new heart-rate monitors: too low, rhythm irregularity,
- Electrodes on the back allow an ECG. Apple says First OTC direct to consumer. May not eb true Kardia Band Put finger on crown. Classifies Sinus rhythm and AFIB
- FDA approval for heart rates and rhythm (also claim de novo clearance)
- Bluetooth 5.0,
- Same battery life (18 hours, increased to 6 hours outdoor workout)
- Silver, gold, gray and black or gold stainless
- New Hermès looks
- STARTING prices $399 with GPS, $499 for cellular, Series 3 now $295.
- 26 markets, 16 markets for cellular
- Order Friday, available 9/21.
- watchOS 5 available on September 17th.
|iPhone XS and XS Max|
- Stainless steel with gold, silver and gray finishes
- IP68 (2 m up to 30 min.)
- 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED display, both 458ppi,
- 60% increase dynamic range over iPhone X
- Wider stereo sound
- Faster FaceID
- A12 Bionic chip. 7nm chip, 6-core CPU (2high-perf, 4 eff), 4-core GPU up to50% faster) 8-core neural engine for ML
- Up to 512GB
- Core ML run 9 times faster with one-tenth the energy.
- Elder Scrolls Blades for iOS this fall, preorder now
- Homecourt can track on court activities to track shots etc.
- Directive Games, Galaga AR. First game coming later this year
- 12mp wide cam and 12mp tele camera. New sensros in the wide cam, f./18 new true tone flash. Tele lens is f2.4
- 7mp front cam f2.2 with a faster sensor
- New feature called Smart HDR., Zero shutter lag, highlight detail, shadow detail, merging into final photo
- Improved bokeh
- Slider in edit can alter the depth of field
- Record stereo sound
- 30 minutes more battery than iPhone X
- Max gets 1.5 hours more
- Gigabit LTE, Dual SIM Dual Standby (DSDS) with single physical SIM and eSIM. Special Max with two physical SIMs in China
- Starting XS at $999 64 GB also 256 and 512. and Max starts at $1099
- Preorders start on Friday, ships September 21st.
- More locations starting 9/28
- iPhone 7 $449, iPhone 8 $599
- iOS 12 comes out next week, September 17th
|HomePod can now do multiple timers|
- search by lyrics, make and receive calls,
- Both HomePod and tvOS 12 with Atmos updates come on Monday, September 17th.
- macOS Mojave 9/24
- White black blue coral yellow.
- 6.1-inch Edge to edge LCD screen
- 326 ppi 1792x828
- Face ID
- Tap to wake, Haptic touch (not 3D touch)
- A12 Bionic
- 12MP rear camera, single camera portrait with editable depth of field
- 1.5 more hours battery life than 8 Plus
- $749 64 GB (128 and 256)
Can preorder on October 19th, ships on October 26th.
|iPhone XS and XS Plus: Apple announces new smartphones - The Verge||https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/12/17843330/new-iphone-xs-max-release-date-screen-features-specs-apple-2018|
|Apple announces new A12 Bionic chip with upgraded CPU, GPU, and Neural Engine - The Verge||https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/12/17826338/apple-iphone-a12-processor-chip-bionic-specs-speed|
|Apple’s Smart HDR sounds a lot like the Google Pixel camera - The Verge||https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17851284/apple-iphone-xs-camera-vs-google-pixel-2-smart-hdr-2018|
|iPhone XR announced with a notched display and Face ID - The Verge||https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/12/17831092/apple-iphone-xr-price-screen-colors-2018-release-date-specs|
|Apple Watch Series 4 includes a bigger display and new design - The Verge||https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17847086/new-apple-watch-series-4-price-features-release-date-2018|
|The next Apple Watch update will be officially released on September 17th - The Verge||https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17841742/apple-watch-update-new-features-os-5-release-date|
|sl||Thanks to all those who participate in our subreddit. Submit stories and vote on them at dailytechnewsshow.reddit.com and facebook.com/groups/dailytechnewsshow||http://dailytechnewsshow.reddit.com|
|tm||Let's check out the mailbag|
|So at the ripe old age of 48, I have found myself single, and have been working my way through the dating apps, trying to figure out how things work these days. I recently decided to give Tinder a try and allowed myself to get suckered into buying a Gold Subscription. |
I have been getting the Tinder Top Picks for the last few weeks and Ironically I find it pretty much useless. As far as I can tell all it does is monitor the people you swipe on normally, then feeds you the popular people in your "area" that match your perceived preferences.
The end result is you just see a bunch of people that are already super popular, and to be put bluntly, are probably out of your class. This might work better if you're young and hip. But as an older more discerning user I certainly would never pay extra to get more of these suggestions. I would love to see the match rate on the top picks, In some ways, I feel pretty bait and switch to me.
Embarrassed that I know this.
|:58||sl||Thanks to... Scott Johnson||frogpants.com|
|Patron Thank You||http://www.dailytechnewsshow.com/support|
|tm||(Thank a boss, buy a mug, tell a friend)||http://patreon.com/dtns|
|And please peruse our fine selection of DTNS stuff!||http://dailytechnewsshow.com/store/|
|play the end theme music here....|
|sl||Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org! We're live M-F at 4:30 PM eastern/20:30 UTC find out more at dailytechnewsshow.com/live.||http://www.reddit.com/r/dailytechnewsshow/|
|tm||Plug tomorrow's guest: Justin Robert Young|
|END OF SHOW|
|STOP DISCORD Stream|