|:00||TITLE: Apple event: New iPhone, New iPad, New Watch - DTNS 3613||Guest:|
|Stories subject to change up until showtime|
|Coming up on DTNS Reprogrammable Ink so you can change that cars colors with a flash of UV light and Apple annoucnes adate and price for AppleTV+, new iPhones, new Apple Watch and more!||Twitch Chat|
|play the opening music here....||Twitch Chat (Dark Mode)|
|This is the Daily Tech News for Tuesday Sept 10th, 2019. In LA, I'm Tom Merritt|
|Allison Sheridan from the Podfeet Podcast Empire|
|And I'm the show's Producer Roger Chang|
|Get the wider conversation on our expanded show, Good Day Internet by becoming a member at patreon.com/dtns.|
|:31||TM||Let's start with a few tech things you should know...|
|play the news segue music here....|
|tm||We'll get to all the Apple announcements in a bit but by press release, Apple announced the dates for its updates to operating systems. iOS13 arrives September 19 and iOS 13.1 comes September 30. The quick .1 update will add things like shortcut automations, sharing ETA in Apple Maps and a few other things that weren't ready for the main launch. iOS 13 works on iPhone 6s or later, an iPhone SE or a 7th-generation iPod touch. WatchOS 6 comes September 19 as well. iPadOS and tvOS arrive September 30. And Apple also updated its website to indicate macOS Catalina will arrive for non-beta users in October. ||https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/10/ios-13-will-be-available-on-september-19/|
|pb||The Polaroid Lab desktop photo printer can make prints form your smartphone's screen.|
Lay the phone screen-side down on the Polaroid Lab platform and the device takes a picture of your screen and projects it onto film which is ejected like a usual polaroid picture.
Polaroid Lab goes on sale on October 10th for $130 in the US, $130 in Europe and £120 in the UK.
It works with iOS 11 and Android 7 or newer for the app which controls settings and provides alignment guidance for the scan.
|as||Facebook posted an explanation of how it uses background location data from smartphones. In Android 10 Facebook will phase out its app location settings in favor of the new Android 10 location settings and will respect the most restrictive choice until then. Facebook also notes that in iOS 13 users will see a popup informing them of how often and for what reason Facebook accessed location info. The post notes that Facebook may also know some location information based on check-ins, events and IP address.||https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/09/facebook-warns-about-apple-ios-13-privacy-improvement.html|
|pb||EU Commission President-elect Ursula von der Leyen named Margrethe Vestager executive vice president in charge of digital policy.|
Vestager will also continue as Commissioner for Competition which handles antitrust.
In her knew role Vestager will add issues like 5G, AI and data sharing.
|Let's talk a little more about...|
|:35||tm||Alibaba chairman Jack Ma is stepping down as chairman fo the company he co-founded in 1999. Jack Ma bought his first computer when he was 33 years old and Alibaba was his third attempt at a startup. Ma is 55 and is expected to focus on philanthropy and education. Alibaba has a market cap of US$460 billion and is considered the world's most valuable retail brand outside the US. Daniel Zhang Yong will become the new Chairman of Alibaba. He has been its CEO since 2015. Zhang is credited with popularizing Alibaba's Singles Day online shopping festival, considered the biggest retail shopping day in the world. Zhang is encouraging in house experiments that compete with Alibaba's current retail offerings, telling Bloomberg “If we don’t kill our existing business, someone else will. So I’d rather see our own new businesses kill our existing business.”||https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49644025|
|:38||pb||McDonald's is acquiring a company called Apprente which makes smart conversational agents meant to automate voice ordering in multiple languages.|
McDonald's is already testing Apprente's technology in a few location's drive thrus.
It could also be used for mobile and kiosk ordering.
Apprente will become the founding member of McD Tech Labs research group.
|:40||as||Scientists at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), have developed a reprogrammable ink that can change color when exposed to ultraviolet light. Cyan, magenta and yellow photochromic dyes are mixed and then sprayed on a surface. Users decide what colors they want where in a program. That program directs a machine that projects different wavelengths of UV light to activate or deactivate different colors. Colors can be changed multiple times. An object the size of a shoe takes 15 to 40 minutes to process the changes. The PhotoChromeleon Ink study was funded by Ford which is interested in using it on car parts for customization and more durable colors.||https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/10/mit-csail-reprogrammable-ink-changes-color/|
|topic reader||To get all the tech headlines each day in about 5 minutes subscribe to dailytechheadlines.com||http://dailytechheadlines.com/|
|play the news segue music here....|
|PAUSE PAUSE PAUSE|
|:43||Apple Announcement goes Here|
- Trailer for See (Jason Momoa)
- Trailer for The Morning Show (one of most watched TV trailers)
- Apple TV+ first shows Nov. 1 More shows each month. $4.99/mo (family), in more than 100 countries at launch.
- New iPhones, iPad, Apple TV purchases come with one year of Apple TV Plus.
- toughest glass ever, camera bump part of glass
- Purple, white, green, yellow, black, and red.
- 6.11-inch Retina display. Spatial audio with Dolby Atmos
- Dual camera: 12mp wide, 26mm f1.8, ultra wide 12mp f2.4 (faster autofocus)
- 2x optical zoom out on the ultra wide camera. can switch between main camera and UW
- Added "semantic rendering" that relights photos based on subject.
- "Multiscale tone mapping" that deals with highlights differently depending on where they are.
- Portrait mode now works on pets. New portrait effect called high-key mono
- Night mode - adaptive bracketing
- Video - improved stabilization, 4k60, slow-mo, timelapse, and new extended dynamic range for video.
- quick video from photo mode just by holding the shutter button
- 36% brighter flash
- Front camera is 12mp TrueDepth, wider sensor if you rotate to landscape. Front cam can do 4k60 and slow motion now. slopes.
- A13 Bionic chip (claim fastest CPU and GPU in a phone)
- 1 hour more than iPhone XR battery life
- faster FaceID
- Video emphasized durability and water resistance
- Starts at $699
|:50||iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max|
- Square camera bump with three lenses
- Midnight green, space gray, silver / white, and gold.
- Pro Max is 6.5 inch, Pro is 5.8 in.
- Super Retina XDR Display is OLED with 2million to 1 contrast, 1200nits of brightness. 15 percent more energy efficient.
- Spatial audio, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
- A13 Bionic, 1 trillion operations per second
- Faster ML (faster matrix multiplication)
- Low power design in 7nm transistors
- 4 high-efficiency cores for most usage, great battery life
- 2 high performance cores
- Hundreds of voltage gates and hundreds of thousands of clock gates, so the chip only lights up what it needs.
- Neural Engine has 8 cores
- iPhone 11 Pro gets up to four hours longer battery. Pro Max gets up to five hours more battery.
- Fast charge 18w adapter
- New wide angle camera with f1.8 lens, tele with f2.4, ultrawide with 120-degree field of view f2.0
- .5x, 1x, and 2x listed as optical zoom settings.
- VideoL all three cameras shoot 4k60
Deep Fusion coming in software update in fall
- Uses Machine learning for low to medium light
- It shoots 9 images: four short images, four secondary image before you hit the shutter, then a long exposure when you hit the button, assembles a photos with added detail and low noise.
- Audio zoom in video on the spec slide.
- new video editing features in photos app
- Filmic Pro can record video on two camera lenses simultaneously. View shows both integrated. Can also do ultrawide and front-facing at the same time
(coming later this year)
- DaceID works at greater angles
iPhone 11 Pro starts at 999, Pro Max 1099. Pre order Friday 5am PST, ship Sept 20.
- iPhone XR stays at 599, and iPhone 8 at 449.
- New 7th-gen iPad.10.2-inch Retina display.
- A10 Fusion chip, claimed 2x faster than the top-selling PC.
- Smart connector for keyboard, support for Apple pencil
- 8mp camera, gigabit LTE for the cell model.
- Starting at $329, $299 for education customers. Order today, shipping 9/30.
|:57||Apple Watch Series 5|
- Always On Retina Display, raise for brightness
- LTPO display refreshes dynamically, from 60Hz to as low as 1Hz for power saving.
- Claims 18 hour battery life
- Press and hold side button for emergency calling in more than 150 countries
- Aluminum: silver, gold, space gray, Stainless in gold, space black, polished. New natural brushed titanium and brushed space black. And a new white ceramic model. Nike and Hermes models (also in black)
- Series 5 starts at $399, and $499 for cell models. Order now, in stores Sept 20
- Series 3 avail at $199
|- New Health research studies. |
Apple Hearing study with U of Michigan and WHO
Apple Women's Health Study with NIH and Harvard
Apple Heart and Movement Study with American Heart Association and Brigham and Women's Hospital.
Enroll in Apple Research App later this year.
- starting Sept 19 in more than 150 countries. 100 new games in launch catalog. $4.99/month (family) 1 month free trial
|:01||Apple Retail Store|
- Apple Stores and online store will now have "Apple Watch Studio" where you can pair any case and any band.
- Apple launching a trade-in program with monthly payments in a number of countries.
- New iPhones start at 399 599 699 with trade-ins, with lower monthly prices. (This is also how carrier deals work, of course.)
- Apple 5th Avenue store in NYC reopening on Sept 20 along with new iPhones.
|tm||Thanks to all those who participate in our subreddit. Submit stories and vote on them at dailytechnewsshow.reddit.com and facebook.com/groups/dailytechnewsshow||http://dailytechnewsshow.reddit.com|
|:59||tm||Thanks to... Patrick Beja||frenchspin.com|
|Patron Thank You||http://www.dailytechnewsshow.com/support|
|We're changing our patreon rewards so we came up with a proposal and we'd like you to look it over. Let us know if there's anything in there you just can't live with. You can find the proposed patreon reward changes at dailytechnewsshow.com/patreon||http://dailytechnewsshow.com/patreon|
|And please peruse our fine selection of DTNS stuff!||http://dailytechnewsshow.com/store/|
|play the end theme music here....|
|sl||Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org! We're live M-F at 4:30 PM eastern/20:30 UTC find out more at dailytechnewsshow.com/live.||http://www.reddit.com/r/dailytechnewsshow/|
|tm||Plug tomorrow's guest: Scott Johnson||Good Night Rob|
|END OF SHOW|
|STOP DISCORD Stream|