|TITLE:||Patrick Beja - Podcaster|
|Stories subject to change up until showtime|
|Daily Tech News Show is powered by, you. To find out more head to dailytechnewsshow.com/support|
|This is the Daily Tech News for Tuesday September 12th, 2017 I'm Tom Merritt|
|Let's start with a few tech things you should know...|
|t||Tuesday at a press conference in Cupertino, California, Apple announced a new Watch, an Apple TV device that supports 4K and HDR, and three new iPhones with wireless charging, one of which has an OLED screen. Most of the new products go up for pre-order September 15th, shipping September 22nd. The new OLED phone called iPhone X will go into pre-order October 27th shipping November 3rd.|
|p||Apple also updated it’s website to note that macOS High Sierra will come out of beta and be available for all September 25th.||https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/12/macos-high-sierra-release-date/?ncid=rss|
|Now here are some more top stories|
|t||Researchers at Armis have devised a Bluetooth remote code attack they call BlueBorne that can be used to attack unpatched Windows, Linux and Android devices. It also works against iOS 9 and older. The attack only requires Bluetooth to be on, no user action is needed. Microsoft patched the vulnerability in July but did not disclose it. Google provided a patch to device makers for Android last month and is making it available today for Pixel phones. There is no evidence of the exploits being used in the wild.|
|p||Samsung's president of mobile business Koh Dong-jin told the Associated press the company has a goal of producing a Galaxy Note smartphone with a bendable display in 2018.|
Samsung first demoed a flexible display prototype called Youm at CES in 2013.
Samsung also said it has received 650,000 pre-orders for the Note 8, 2.5 times the number it received for the Note 7 in the same period of time.
|t||More than 30 lawsuits have been filed in the US against Equifax over the security breach which exposed records on 143 million US residents. Meanwhile the DoNotPay bot that helps contest parking tickets can now create paperwork to sue Equifax for negligence in small claims court. Litigants would still need to serve the papers to Equifax themselves and show up in court. Meanwhile Equifax announced on Twitter that it is waiving fees for removing and placing Security Freezes for the next 30 days.|
|p||Nintendo announced that it will resume production of the NES Classic console for shipping in summer 2018.|
Nintendo also announced it will extend shipments of the SNES Classic console into 2018, which were originally scheduled to end sometime this year.
|To get all the tech headlines each day in about 5 minutes subscribe to dailytechheadlines.com||http://dailytechheadlines.com/|
|WatchOS 4 arrives September 19th and a new Apple Watch Series 3 has a dual-core processor, altimeter, new W2 bluetooth and WiFi chip, LTE or UMTS built in and uses the same number as your iPhone. Siri can also talk back to you. Series 3 comes in a wide variety of bands as well as Gold, Silver and Space Grey and special Nike + versions. The Watch Series 3 starts at $329 and $399 with cellular data. Orders start September 15th, available September 22nd.||https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16270442/new-apple-watch-lte-announced-price-release-date-features|
|Apple introduced the Apple TV 4K with support for HDR10 and DolbyVision. The new Apple TV runs on an A10X processor with a new tvOS. And Major studios will make 4K movies available in iTunes for the same price as HD and Apple will upgrade previous purchases. The TV app is coming to seven new countries starting with Canada and Australia. Apple is also adding live news and sports to the TV app. The new Apple TV is available with 32GB for $179 and 64 GB for $199 for pre-order September 15 shipping September 22.||https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/12/16277592/4k-apple-tv-announced-price-release-date-features|
|As expected Apple introduced the 4.7-inch iPhone 8 and 5.5-inch 8 Plus with glass on front and back with Qi standard wireless charging. The speakers are 25% louder than the iPhone 7. And a 6-core A11 64-bit chip and an Apple designed GPU that’s 30% faster than in the A10 and tuned for Augmented Reality. There’s also an Apple-designed Image Sensor processor. There’s also a new 12-megapixel camera sensor that provides 83% more light with better color. The 8 Plus has f1.8 and f2.8 sensors. It also features an Apple-designed video encoder for 4K 60fps and 1080p 240 fps slow mo as well as a new feature in the 8 plus called Portrait lighting. The iPhone 8 comes in silver, space grey and a new gold finish. The iPhone 8 starts at $699 and the 8 Plus $799 with preorders on Sept. 15 shipping September 22. iOS 11 arrives for all September 19.||https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/12/16277764/apple-iphone-8-announced-features-price-release-date|
|Apple also announced the 5.8-inch iPhone X. It has a glass front and back with a stainless steel band. with Qi wireless charging. It has a 2436 x 1125 458 ppi OLED display that can show HDR. Swipe up from the bottom to go to home screen. Press and hold side button for Siri. Users unlock the phone with facial recognition called Face ID which takes advantage of the A11 Bionic neural engine. Facial recognition can also make custom animojis. And it has dual 12-megapixel camera sensors with OIS. Apple promises two more hours of battery life over iPhone 7.|
IPhone X is available in Space gray and silver in 64 and 256 GB versions starting at $999. Pre-orders start October 27th shipping November 3rd.
|Apple also announced it is making a charging mat called AirPower. It supports the iPhone, Series 3 Watch, and AirPods with optional new wireless charging case. Coming next year.|
|Apple stores are now called Town Squares (Angela Ahrendts)|
- Today at Apple - New name for classes
- New York, Paris, Milan, Carnegie Library in Washington DC, Chicago
“This is blow away!”
-Smart activity coaching
-redesigned workout app
-Gymkit for gym machines
Heart rate on watch face, new measurements (resting & recovery hr) elevated resting alert
- Apple Heart Study - notifies users of Afib
WatchOS 4 arrives Sept. 19
Apple Watch Series 3
- Red dot on crown.
- Cellular data (LTE- UMTS)
- dual-core processor, altimeter
- Custom W2 Wifi Bluetooth
- Display is the antenna and eSIM
- Back crystal thicker by .25mm
- "Series 3 comes in a wide variety of cases and bands." There's a new space gray, a new sport loop band. New Nike Plus models.
- The Watch Series 3 starts at $329 and $399 with cellular data.
- Series 1 at $249
- Orders start September 15th, available September 22nd.
Apple TV 4K with HDR 10 and DolbyVision
- New A10X processor and a new tvOS
- 4K movies will be the same price as 1080 with current purchases upgraded.
- Netflix and Amazon Prime video coming later this year.
- The TV app is coming to seven new countries starting with Canada and Australia.
- Live Sports and news in the TV app. ESPN
- New sports tab
- 4K Apple starts at 179 for 32gb and 199 for 64gb. September 22
32GB HD version still $149
|iPhone 8 and 8 Plus|
- Glass on the front and back. Silver, space gray, and gold.
- Most durable glass ever in a smartphone
- Water and dust resistant
Retina HD display
- A11 bionic chip (four high efficiency cores)
- 25% louder speakers than 7
- Apple designed GPU 30% faster than A10
- Image Sensor processor. There’s also a new 12-megapixel camera sensor that provides 83% more light with better color. The 8 Plus has f1.8 and f2.8 sensors.
- Portrait lighting in 8 lLus. Separate subject from background and changes the lighting over the face while composing shot.
- Video encoder with faster frame rates
- Augmented Reality.
- Wireless charging, LTE-A, Bluetooth 5.0 , Qi Wireless charging
- Belkin and Mophie Qi charges will be sold by Apple
- 8 Plus $799 for 64GB, also a 256GB. Preorders on Sept 15, arriving sept 22nd. iOS 11 coming Sept 19.
Bezeleless with notch for sensors, Bump for sensors on back
- It has a 2436 x 1125 458 ppi OLED display that can show HDR.
- Gestures replace home button
- Face ID
- TrueDepth camera system at the top of the display to enable it. IR camera, flood illuminator, dot projector all in the front camera section. Proximity, ambient light, speaker, mic
- When you look at the phone it projects 30k invisible IR dots, the cameras fire, and it checks that pattern against the stored image in real time.
- Neural engine is dual-core, 600bn operations per second. It's what enables the real-time Face ID recognition.
- Face data in secure enclave, on-device processing, requires user attention (no closed eyes)
- 1 in 50,000 chance a random user could unlock your phone with TouchID. Chances with FaceID are 1 in 1 million.
- Twins will need passcodes
- Works with Apple Pay -- you look at the phone to unlock and then point at the reader. Also works with apps that support Apple Pay.
- Apps that support touch ID will work with FaceID
- Animojis - including poop emoji
- FAce ID failed on first try/ Look and swipe up.
- Swipe down for control center. Swipe up and pasue for multitask. Swipe along bottom to switch between apps
- 12MP dual cameras, f1.8 and 2.4 on the telephoto. Dual OIS, which is a big deal. "A lot of magnets moving around in a very small space."
- Two more hours than iPhone 7 in battery life
- IPhone X is available in Space gray and silver in 64 and 256 GB versions starting at $999. Pre-orders start October 27th shipping November 3rd.
- iPhone Se $349 IPhone 6S $449 iPhone 7 $549, iPhone 8 $699 iPhone X $999
|Thanks to all those who participate in our subreddit. Submit stories and vote on them at dailytechnewsshow.reddit.com and facebook.com/groups/dailytechnewsshow||http://dailytechnewsshow.reddit.com|
|Check in with Peter Wells|
|But what was it like on the ground AT Apple? Let's find out.||Peter Wells MP3|
|Thanks to Patrick Beja||https://www.frenchspin.com|
|Quick reminder that the Sam Harris episode of the After-On podcast that I do with Rob Reid releases today. Rob and Sam discuss terrorism and how Sam's unique life experience shapes his world view.||https://after-on.com/episodes/006|
|Patron Thank You||http://www.dailytechnewsshow.com/support|
|(Thank a boss, buy a mug, tell a friend)||http://patreon.com/dtns|
|Thanks to everybody who gives a little value back for the value they get from the show. we'd like to increase that value and help out Sarah Lane. Shee needs your help!|
[[by adding a monthly round table on the final friday of each month, DTNS Labs so we can try out new ideas AND bring Sarah Lane on as a daily cohost! But we need your help at patreon.com/dtns]]
|Our email address is email@example.com! We're live M-F at 4:30 PM eastern/20:30 UTC at alphageekradio.com and diamondclub.tv, and our website is dailytechnewsshow.com.||http://www.reddit.com/r/dailytechnewsshow/|
|Plug tomorrow's guest: Scott Johnson and Bob Schultz|
|END OF SHOW|