SEO Content Audit
|template provided by:||Instructions on how to use this template >>>|
> Install the Supermetrics add-on with the link on the right (skip this if you've installed the add-on)
> Launch the Supermetrics sidebar (Add-ons menu -> Supermetrics -> Launch sidebar)
> Go to Add-ons menu -> Supermetrics -> Template Gallery
> Find the template and click “Add template"
|Install the add-on|
|WATCH STEP BY STEP VIDEO|
|When your site's been around for a while, you accumulate pages that no longer add value to your audience. To clean it up, you need to undergo a content audit, whereby you review every piece page on your site.|
We (David Krevitt, CIFL and Ryan Stewart, WEBRIS) put together this Google Sheets template which helps automate a large portion of the tedious content audit process.
By pulling traffic data from GA (using Supermetrics), and exporting your link data from Ahrefs, you'll end up with a list of pages to:
1. Leave as is (aka 200)
If a page does receive organic traffic, has a low bounce rate and high conversion rate, we want to leave that page alone.
2. Quality review (QR)
If a page does receive organic traffic, has a high bounce rate and low conversion rate, we want to review that page for content relevancy. After manual quality review, you will want to delete (404), redirect (301) or rewrite the content to improve it.
3. Delete (404)
If a page has no organic traffic and no backlinks, it has little value to your site. You should manually review it or delete it from your site.
4. Redirect to similar content (301)
If a page has no organic traffic but does have backlinks, you want to preserve link equity by setting a 301 redirect into a similar piece of content.
If a page has organic traffic, but a low conversion or high bounce rate, you'll want to review for relevancy, and potentially rewrite content.
After taking these steps to pull traffic and links data, you'll see a list of URLs and suggestions on the 'Next Steps' tab.
1) Enter your homepage URL (including http or https, with no / at the end):
2) Enter your sitemap URLs below in column B (pages will be pulled into the 'Sitemaps' tab):
|Sitemap URL||Pages found|
3) Launch the Supermetrics sidebar from the 'Add-ons' menu, and set your site by:
- Navigating to row 21 of the 'Supermetrics Data' tab, which will allow you to 'Modify' the query
- Select the Data source (Google Analytics account) and View (the site) you'd like to pull data for
- Apply changes to pull organic search data for the last year
|Download Supermetrics for Google Sheets|
|Pages w/ organic visits||No data yet, are you sure Supermetrics is setup?|
4) Export your backlinks from Ahrefs, and drop the exported CSV into the 'Ahrefs Export' tab.
If you don't have an account, they offer a 7-day trial for $7:
|Total links recognized||0|
5) Set your thresholds for metrics, to qualify a page to leave as is (200):
|Organic sessions (default: 100)||20|
|Bounce rate (default: 80)||80|
|Conversion rate (default: 1%)||1%|
|5) You're all set! See the 'Next Steps' tab for results.|
|Pages to 404||0|
|Pages to 301||0|
|Pages to 200 (leave as is)||0|
|Pages to Quality Review||0|
|Questions? Drop a comment on the video at the top of this tab.|
|David Krevitt||Ryan Stewart|