|Timestamp||NAME||EMAIL ADDRESS||TITLE||CONTENT||SOURCES||[Form Publisher] Doc URL||[Form Publisher] PDF URL|
|9/25/2018 17:30:15||Sandy Buller|
|Table of Contents for 1973 to Present Waller County History||Table of Contents for 1973 to Present Waller County History|
1. County Government
etc, etc, etc - this is a test of the new form and placeholder for where this Table of Content will be and I will edit it as we get further in to the details of the book.
|9/28/2018 5:22:03||Junior McKay|
|Monaville Cemetery||It has been recently discovered that the Monaville Cemetery is made of of three parts. (See details below)|
In 1891, the current day Monaville Cemetery was formed. Land was sold by Paul and Marie Srnensky for $37.50 to be used as a white community cemetery. The land consisted of 1 2/3 acres. The cemetery trustees were M. B. Burch, E. B. Womack, J. B. Winfree, W. L. Sledge, E. R. Wright, W. T. Williams, and D. C. Singletary. The cemetery was known as the Oak Grove Cemetery at that time.
In 1897, Paul and Marie Srnensky sold an additional 5/8 acres of land for $16, which was where their homestead resided, to John Stefka, Sr. and Joseph Mikeska for addition cemetery space.
In 1925, John and Anna Kusak, sold 1 acre of land for $1, to the Bohemian Church Association to be used as the Bohemian Cemetery.
This group of cemeteries are now know as the Monaville Cemetery. It is not known when the Monaville name was adopted.
|10/4/2018 8:33:23||Junior McKay|
|Historical Commission/Society History||In October, 1955, the Governor of Texas started what is now know as the Texas Historical Commission. It was originally called the “Texas Historical Survey Committee.”|
As written in the November 4, 1955 Hempstead News article: “The Governor of Texas, the Hon. Allen Shivers, and the fifty third Texas Legislature took recognition of the needs in the historical field in Texas and assumed the initiative to meet the needs in Senate Current Resolution No. 44, which provides for a survey committee to study the subject of the preservation of the tangible evidences of our heritage. The Governor appointed a committee of eighteen interested citizens to be known as the ''Texas Historical Survey Committee.” A majority of this committee met at Liendo October 29, 1955. Those present were Judge James E. Wheat, Woodville, chairman, and Willard Cope, Dallas; Miss M. A. Hogg, Houston; Lon W. Kemp, HOUSton; Mrs. E. A. Peden, Houston; Mrs. Lane Taylor, San Antonio; Mrs. Chas. R. Tips, Dallas; Rozt, C. Wells, Kingsville; Mrs. Max Weinert, Seguin; Mrs. R. E. Dudley, Abilene.”
“This committee feels that the preservation of noted buildings and land marks is an important task and that private groups as well as local committees should be encouraged to help in every way possible to share this burden with the state government.”
Around the first of October, 1959, the John B. Hood Chapter No. 2147 of the Daughters of the Confederacy were appointed as a whole to become the “Texas Survey Committee” for Waller County. Mrs. Tompkins was the Chairman of the committee, with Mrs. Wells, vice Chairman, and Miss Ogg, Secretary. The Waller County Judge was John C. Winfree at that time.
In 1969, the State Commission’s Program Director, Bob Watson, visited the County and organized the preservation program with 42 members. Miss Jimmie Rene Ogg was appointed chairperson of the Waller County Historical Survey Committee by County Judge Jack Taylor. She served in that capacity until September, 1974. At that point, the Committee’s program to record, appreciate, mark, preserve, and survey local historical sites, buildings and persons was initiated and through the years was intensified.
From 1974 to 1978, Mrs. Lil Kobs and Dr. Mildred Abshier served as co-chairpersons of the Committee. In 1974, the name was changed from the Survey Committee to the Waller County Historical Commission. Dr. Abshier continued to chair until 1980 when Mrs. Annie J. Sams became chairperson.
The Texas Historical Commission issues Distinguished Service Awards to deserving counties each year. The Waller County Historical Commission has received this award for their efforts in preserving the history of Waller County for 41 years in a row, the only county in Texas to achieve this status.
On November 20, 1972, the Waller County Historical Society was formed and Incorporated in the State of Texas for the purpose of managing the financing for the 1973 County Centennial. In April, 1973, Texas tax exempt status was received. The Historical Society has continued since that date and has become the working body for the Waller County Historical Commission.
Some of the Historical Society Presidents that have server over the years are: Mildred W. Abshier (1972-1979), Annie J. Sams (1980-? ), Oliver Kitzman (1983-1984), Albert McCaig (1985), James B. Hicks (1987), Frank Jackson (1988), Joe Smith (1889), Ed Kucers (1991), Richard Senasac (1992-2012), Truett Bell (2013-2018+).
By: Junior McKay, 2018
1 - Hempstead News Newspaper articles 11-04-1955, “Historical Survey Committee Appointed by Governor”
2 - Hempstead News Article 10-08-1959, “UDC Opens New Year at Meet”
3 - Historical Commission Beginnings by Mildred W. Abshier
4 - Certificate of Incorporation for the Waller County Historical Society
5 - Tax exempt permit
6 – Tax statements