|Inclusive Excellence Submission for|
Financial Aid Goals and Accomplishments
Seek out training offered by professional organizations / departments on campus to expand knowledge of diversity related issues.
• A staff member from Multicultural Student Services and a staff member from Financial Aid attended the Research, Policy, and Practice Conference hosted at UW-Madison on “Affordability and College Attainment in Wisconsin Public Higher Education.”
• Met with Student Support Services (SSS) to talk about some changes to financial aid policies and to get a better understanding of the TRIO program and the students that they serve.
• Met with Multicultural Student Services (OMSS) to discuss changes to financial aid policies and talk about issues and concerns in regards to the population that OMSS serves.
Staff members from Financial Aid help assist students by working closely with other campus offices.
• Several staff members participated in Multicultural Admission Luncheons throughout the year.
• New Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy encourages students to work closely with Academic Advising, an advisor from their college, or a pre-advisor for academic advising.
• Several staff members work closely with OMSS in regards to retention/assessment initiatives and financial aid for multicultural students.
• Financial Literacy Counselor works closely with First-Year Experience and WI Covenant Scholars Office.
• A staff member is assigned as the liaison with the Office of International Education.
• A staff member works closely with the Veterans Office.
• Staff members presented to the Self Sufficiency Program, Academic Success Institute, and Family Childcare Center for at risk youth.
• Several staff members work closely with low income, first generation and/or other programs on campus. Example: McNair, Eagle Mentoring, IE Res. Life, SSS, etc.
The office encourages and supports individual staff members in participating in committees and events that support diversity. Some examples are:
• A staff member serves on the Inclusive Exclusive Residence Life Scholarship Committee
• A staff member serves on the Undocumented Students Committee
• Many staff members attended various campus events, such as: OMSS Welcome Back Cookout, International Student Welcome Week, PIE Days, and various Multicultural Student Organization events.
• A staff member participated in the Men of Color event
• Create and post flyers and scholarship information on our website to assist undocumented immigrant students searching for financial assistance.
• Several staff members will help with OMSS and SSS’s FAFSA sessions in February.
• Continue to work with other departments on campus to help retain students of color.
• Continue to seek out training about diversity matters.
• Continue to support and attend diversity events on campus.
|Click here to enter unit goals or accomplishments.|