|Inclusive Excellence Submission for|
the Modern Languages Department
|Plan 2010-2011 |
1] hire a tenure-track faculty member with expertise in Caribbean Literature and Culture. This will add to our ability to teach a more diverse curriculum and increase the diversity in faculty.
2) continue to incorporate diversity materials into our courses,
3) provide opportunities for students to meet and interact with people from diverse backgrounds and ethnicities
3) continue to attend diversity events on campus,
4) continue to mentor faculty from diverse cultural backgrounds
5) work to improve student learning about diversity matters,
6) continue to work to increase diversity in our student population.
Diversity activities by the faculty of MLG in 2010-2011:
1. Hired a new tenure-track from Cuba
2. Invited guests to speak to students and faculy (either in person, by skype or by other virtual media):
-Caleb Lucien (Haitian visitor)
-Margo Tamez – Apache scholar – borders between Mexico and apache lands;
-Delphina de la Cruz – Indigenous Language and the Americas;
-Naomi Wood – Queer Cuban Hip Hop;
-Victoriano de la Cruz - Revitalizing Indigenous Languages & Cultures: The Case of Nahuatl in Mexico;
-Ernesto Velez Bustos - community organizer from Centro Campesino in Owatanna, Minnesota.
3. Attended lectures/movies and discussed with students:
- Professor Mustafa Bayoumi - How Does it Feel to be a Problem?:
Being Young and Arab in America.
- UNAFF film festival
4. Incorporated diversity theme into class - FRE 326 - Islamaphobia in France
5. Lead student service trip to Ecuador .
6. Attended presentation sponsored by CLS and discussed with other colleagues
- Walter Zakahi, Dean of Arts and Humanities at Minnesota Sate U. Mankato. His topic: Creating a Campus Culture of Inclusion and Excellence.
7. Worked closely with student writing paper for NCUR on - Representation of Algerian Women and Islamic Fundamentalism in the Contemporary Algerian Novel
8. Served as Eagle mentor
9. Served as McNair Scholar advisor
|Click here to enter unit goals or accomplishments.|