|Book Writing Checklist|
👑 For New Nonfiction Authors 👑
|HOW TO USE: |
1. Click "File"
2. Click "Make a copy..."
3. Edit for your own book!
|NO IDEA TO AWESOME OUTLINE: The P.S.T. Method||Resources to |
|• Block out time in the AM to brainstorm/mindmap/write/think||I use Google calendars|
|• (P): Post-It Notes!|
- Idea dump everything onto paper or post-it notes
- Move ideas around, group them, regroup them, see new connections
|post it notes|
|• (S) Spiderweb Mindmap!|
- Pick 1 idea (or 1 combo of related ideas) and put into the center of a mindmap (paper or digital)
How to pick?? Well...which will best help you:
(1) sell more of your products or services
(2) get more media attention which then helps you sell more of your products & services?
- Idea dump again, this time just around the 1 idea (or 1 combo).
This will look like a spider web with your core idea in the middle.
|• (T) Timeline|
- Take all the subtopics around your core idea and organize them into a logical list in the order people *should* learn them step by step...in chronological order.
- This is your final book outline! Congrats! It's awesome.
|WRITE YOUR BOOK: OVERVIEW||Resources to |
|• Block out time in the AM to write (if it's not on your calendar and a priority, other things will always push it to 'later.')||How Long Will It Take to Write My Book?|
|• I recommend using Scrivener to write your book instead of Word (I hate it) or Google Docs (the export for file types for Kindle don't work well, sadly). It's $45, one-time, and they have a free trial.|
More robust for Mac than PC though. So, if you have a PC and like Word, don't switch!
|Scrivener for Mac|
|Scrivener for PC|
|• Think about the order you will write things. My recommendation? It's like a veggie burger! Two buns and a patty. Start writing with the 'veggie patty' and do the intro and outro (or buns) last.|
- Part 1: all the intro parts of the book (top bun)
- Part 2: the awesome outline you came up with above (the veggie patty)
- Part 3: all the outro parts of the book (bottom bun)
|• Repurposing time savers? Look back at content you already have to see what you can repurpose into your chapters! |
Ideas for what to repurpose:
- podcasts (transcribe them)
- videos (transcribe them)
- long social media posts
- email marketing send outs
- emails responses to client questions (FAQ answers)
|• Remember to put in 'compelling copy' as you write that:|
- 1: shows the reader you are an expert, but not a braggy show-off 🤪
- 2: tells the reader how to get more info and work with you further
- 3: proves to the reader you can help them too (featuring clients is a great way for this!)
|WRITE YOUR BOOK: PART 2 - THE VEGGIE PATTY||Resources to |
|• Put your Awesome Outline into Scrivener (or Word) and pick a chapter to write! |
- You do NOT have to write in order...start where there is the least resistence to get momentum
- There is no 'right' number of chapters. Add or subtract from below based on your book's content.
|• Chapter 1|
|• Chapter 2|
|• Chapter 3|
|• Chapter 4|
|• Chapter 5|
|• Chapter 6|
|• Chapter 7|
|• Chapter 8|
|• Chapter 9+|
|• Decide on a Title (Keep keywords in mind that your audience may be searching, but this part is often short and catchy)|
|• Decide on a Subtitle (Keep keywords in mind that your audience may be searching and give extra clarity to the reader who the book is for and what they will get from reading it)|
|WRITE YOUR BOOK: Part 1 & 3 - THE BUNS||Resources to |
|• Write Part 1|
|- Title Page|
|- Copyrights Page|
|- Table of Contents (if you use Scrivener, there are ways to generate it!)|
|- Dedication (optional)|
|- Foreword (from 'big name' in your field - optional)|
|- Introduction / What Will the Reader Get From This Book|
|- Reader Only Bonuses (recommended...to grow your email list)|
|• Write Part 3|
|- Conclusion / Recap / Summary|
|- What's Next? (share how to connect with you further, your reader only bonuses, CTAs)||Note: You are not allowed to link out with affiliate links or to paid programs from your book per Amazon's terms and conditions.|
|- About the Author (add links, contact info, social media handles, etc. so people can connect)|
|CONGRATULATIONS!||FREE Resources to |
|Your book is now written! Par-tay!!!||🎉|
|What should I do next?||👇|
|• Join Our Free Facebook Community||Become a Bestselling Author - Group|
|• Get More Help||Tell Us More About Your Book Goals|