|Email Edie if you wish to add / edit.|
|Spock||Orange Belt 3rd Degree||Follower Styling||Instructor Notes||Student Expectations|
|Week 1||Stand by... working on this.|
|Orange 3, Week 1|
Slant Footwork – “Demi” Step
Open Break before Break Right Turns
Slants w/ Progressive Right Turns
Basics and CBLs Men's Timing. Add more moves within of the BBS Warmup. Do this slowly, over time.
Quick review of the concepts from White:
CBL, Break Right and Break Left Turns, Progressive Left Turns
Frame and Connection
Quick overview of Progressive Right Turns for students who haven’t taken Orange 1 yet.
GENERAL LESSON PLAN FOR THIS WEEK
1. Leader marks his steps in place during his turn rather than stepping to the right.
- This prepares students for turns in later belts.
2. Teach the “demi” step – crossing the street on 7.
- Practice a demi step followed by a backtap on 1 into a progressive right turn.
- "Demi" is a French word meaning "1/2".
- The demi step smooths out leader's basics between moves.
- It gets rid of the leader always going forward with his left foot to start the next move.
3. Slants from Break Left turns.
- Show slant footwork from a left break turn.
- Leader’s 1-step is in the same direction as the 7-step.
- Leader turns back on counts 2 and 3 to the “mountain” position.
- This is an introduction to next week’s lessons with slants from a progressive left turn.
4. Slants into Progressive Right turns.
- An easy way to begin is for the leader to use the same "high hand" in the slant and the following progressive right.
- The "goatee" on 3 (1 on-2), or the follower's left prep for the right turn, happens just as the leader finishes his slant.
5. Practice Combo
Open Break > Right Break Turn > Left Break Turn > Demi, slant> Progressive Right
6. Pose Dip
- Review the aqua dip from White 2 which is a similar dip
--From closed position, leader brings follower’s R arm straight up as high as it will go.
- Leader adjusts his arm accordingly.
- Follower’s right side touches leader’s chest as she turns back for the pose.
- Follower bends her left leg so her left foot is behind her right kne
- Use the Pose Dip at the end of combo above.
Warm Down: Ladies Timing - Mirror what you did earlier.
Hour of Power (Full Hour) Practice time. Leave for five- 10 minutes, say you will be back. Only help "individuals" if they need it.
Community dance with all Circles.
|If the instructor knows styling, Introduce Edie's Freedom Concept to her if it hasn’t been introduced to her already (she can |
include styling on the 1, 2, 3. The Freedom Concept is explained in great detail in Edie's Ladies Styling Volume 1 DVD.
Mermaid after every turn.
Freedom Concept is executing on the following counts:
"1,2,3" If dancing On-1
"6, 7, 1" if dancing On-2
.... without hindering the Lead. Give the Follower one or two pieces of styling she can do on these previous counts, and have her combine them with the scoop-up & cross on 4 (if dancing on 1).
McCoy Ref: http://www.dancerhangout.com/showthread.php?t=383&p=528#post528
Canopy: Mascara Smear
Aqua Dip: Electric Fingers, "Poke Your Eye Out" and swing arm down then back and around.
|It is up to the Instructor to come up with a routine based upon what the students have learned, White through Orange Belt so far. |
Set your alarm clock to PLAY MUSIC every twenty minutes.
Setting your clock will train YOU as an instructor to stop rambling and helping so much. It will train you to summarize your thoughts, and let your students DANCE and hear music - not just your talking. They get bored with voices at times. Stopping to play the music fives times per the 90 minutes will improve your teaching abilities.
WITH A BIG SMILE...Put name tags with blue tape on all students. Show them the restrooms, and inform them of the Practice Time and Parties WITH A HUGE SMILE...
Read or pass out Weekly BBS Party Bulletin to see where everyone will be
going dancing that week / weekend, and when local events will take
Briefly explain the BBS Martial Arts system of Progressive Training Explain "Scotty" The Pocket Syllabus
Repeat every move at least 15-20 times.
Get out of the center and become part of the student rotation.
Talk to the girls as often as the guys
"Tell her she's Beautiful"
"Tell him, 'You're the Man!'"
Encourage the students throughout the hour to exchange phone numbers to practice together outside of class every time you play the music.
Remind students they have SEVEN days to get this. Fundamentals will be reviewed more briefly every White Belt class
|By the end of Week #1, student should be able to... |
- Practice outside of class with an entire COLLECTION OF PHONE NUMBERS they got from White Belt.
- CORRECTLY demonstrate the "display" aspect of the follower during count #5 (on-1) or count 2 (on-2)
- HEADLOOP - THIS IS HUGE: Maintain a "chin/head up" and correct posture for both male and female dancers during ALL headloops. Tendency will be to duck our heads - this will not be the case with BBS-trained students! .:)
... or else this can look like two senior citizens with hunchback problems if not done correctly. Instructor: Demo to the class "before" / "after" posturing a Headloop
- Explain the difference between the BBS basic and the Musicality Break (hint: there is no difference - it is just a name / terminology switch)
- Have AWESOME Posture- Look "up with confidence" - not down.
- Demonstrate Leader's Lunging Technique during Canopy
- Combine these moves with all of White Belt Moves
- Make it look easy. .:)
- Practice during the week outside of class
- Exchange more phone numbers