Residency Info on Websites of Public Law Schools -
The version of the browser you are using is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser.Dismiss

View only
Check out our other spreadsheets!

Accelerated Admissions and Degree Programs:
Application Fee Waivers:
Deadlines & Dean's Letter Requirements:
Decisions, Decisions:
Establishing Residency:
Summer Pre-Law Programs:
Applicants: Please contact individual law schools for the most accurate information.
Public Law SchoolI am a non-resident. May I establish residency in your state while/by attending your state law school? URLDate Accessed
The University of Akron School of Law"In general, a student must demonstrate that they meet all of the following criteria:

1. The student is expected to live in Ohio for a full, 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the semester for which they are applying for residency. The expectation is that the student should not be absent from the state any longer than breaks between semesters and 3 weeks during the summer.

2. The student should demonstrate their intent to become an Ohio resident by transferring any items of registration to Ohio such as a driver's license, automobile registration, and voter registration (if applicable).

3. The student must demonstrate that during the 12-month period while establishing residency, that they have had sufficient income to meet all expenses without the need of money from outside the State of Ohio. Documentation of income sources used during the 12-month period is required."
The University of Alabama School of Law"As the State’s only public law school, Alabama residency is one of many factors in admissions. Thus, it is useful for nonresidents in particular to describe their ties to the State and/or their interest in the University of Alabama School of Law.

It is possible to obtain Alabama residency after your first year. Please review the residency guidelines at Residency petitions should be mailed to the Law School Admissions Office, Box 870382, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487."
The University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of LawNot Found
Arizona State University—Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law"Please complete the following steps to request residency classification.

Review the residency guidelines, frequently asked questions and general information.

Complete your request using the residency reclassification application.

Submit all required documentation to the Residency Classification Office.

View the status of your request from the residency reclassification application.

Review your decision. If denied, you can request a residency appeal."
University of Arkansas School of Law, FayettvilleNOT FOUND
University of Arkansas at Little Rock, William H. Bowen School of LawIn order to be considered an Arkansas resident for tuition and fee purposes you need to:

If you are a US citizen, you have been an Arkansas resident at least 6 months.
If you are a permanent resident, you have had your permanent resident card for at least 6 months and been an Arkansas resident for at least 6 months.
Students who wish to file an appeal for Arkansas residency for tuition and fee purposes must submit the Reclassification for Arkansas Residency for Fee Purposes form and supporting documentation to the Office of Admissions. Residency appeals will be processed in the date order they are received. Residency appeals will NOT be approved retroactively for previous semesters. Students must file the residency appeal for the current or a future term. Please make a note of the application deadlines on the form.

The deadline for Fall and Spring semesters is the census day (11th day of classes) each term. The deadline for Summer term is the census day (5th day of classes). The student will be notified of appeal decision in writing.

Before completing the residency appeal form, you should review the University of Arkansas Board of Trustees Policy.
University of Baltimore School of Law"For the 12 consecutive months before the first day of classes for which you wish to be considered  a resident, you (or your parent/guardian) must:
-have resided in Maryland (you must be able to show proof of residence, including the amount you pay and the terms of your lease/deed)
-maintain substantially all personal property within Maryland
-pay Maryland income tax on all taxable income earned inside or outside the state
-receive no public assistance from a city, county or municipal agency other than in Maryland
-have a legal ability under federal and Maryland law to reside permanently without interruption in Maryland
-have registered to vote in Maryland, if you had been registered in any other jurisdiction
-license/register all motor vehicles you own in Maryland
-obtain a valid Maryland driver's license "
University of California, Berkeley, School of LawLegal Resident Information

Legal residency determines the amount of tuition a student is charged. Non-residents may become residents of California after one year at Berkeley Law if they take appropriate steps and meet certain eligibility requirements.

There are several aspects involved with determining residency and students should use the links below to become familiar with the process:
(Please note that some of the information on these sites is intended for undergraduate students.)

UC Berkeley Office of the Registrar’s residency information

UC Berkeley Office of the Registrar’s residency FAQs

UC Berkeley Office of the Registrar’s residency deadlines
Entering first year students should complete their Statement of Legal Residence by the June 1st deadline communicated by Berkeley Law’s Admissions Office. Entering transfer students should submit their SLR immediately after it becomes available to them.
UC Berkeley Office of the Registrar’s non-citizen information

For more information or questions regarding residency, please contact the campus Residence Affairs Unit using one of the following methods:


Phone: 510-642-5990

Postal mail:
Residence Affairs Unit
Office of the Registrar
University of California, Berkeley
120 Sproul Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-5404
University of California, Davis School of Law (King Hall)The determination of residence for tuition purposes at the University of California is governed by the UC Residence Policy and Guidelines established by the UC Regents, and implemented by the UC President in consultation with the UC General Counsel. The Office of the General Counsel is the final authority on residence policy for the UC system.
University of California, Hastings College of the LawTo be considered a California resident for purposes of fees, an out-of-state student must have lived in California for more than one year preceding the residence determination date, relinquish residence in other states, show intent to establish residency in California and demonstrate financial independence. Unmarried undergraduates from other states qualify as financially independent if they were not claimed by their parents or others as dependents for tax purposes for two preceding tax years and if their annual income is sufficient to meet their needs. All married students and unmarried graduate and professional students from other states qualify as financially independent if their parents or others have not claimed them as dependents for tax purposes for the preceding year.

Other out-of-state students who qualify as financially independent include veterans of the U.S. armed services, students with legal dependents other than a spouse, students with both parents deceased, students who are wards of the court, and students who are at least 24 years of age by December 31 of the year they seek to be classified as residents.

Students holding nonimmigrant visas (F1, J1, etc.) may not establish California residency for purposes of fees.

All incoming students must complete an Application for California Residence for Tuition Purposes. Continuing students may petition to reclassify their status at the end of the current semester.

The residency review process cannot be accomplished by telephone or email. Decisions are rendered only upon submission of a completed Application. All students must complete an Application in order to change their status. Facsimile copies cannot be processed. Only filings with the student's original signature are acceptable.

The residency determination date is the first day of classes.

Caution: This summary is not a complete explanation of the law regarding residence. Additional information is available from the Office of the Registrar. Please note that changes may be made in the residence requirements between the publication date of this statement and the relevant residence determination date.
University of California, Irvine School of LawResidency Status
Graduate or professional students who are initially classified as non-residents may petition to change their residency status once they feel that they've satisfied all three residency requirements.
Students must demonstrate:

Intent to remain in California
Physical presence in California at least 366 days before the start of the semester in which they wish to be reclassified as a resident
That they are financially independent, or meet one of the exemptions to the financial independence requirement
Indicators of intent to remain in California include:

Obtaining a driver's license or state identification card
Registering to vote in California
Registering a motor vehicle in the state
Filing California resident taxes
Designating California as a permanent address for all records
Opening accounts with financial institutions in California
Acceptable proof of physical presence may include employment verification or school enrollment.

It is imperative that students begin obtaining indicators of intent as soon as they arrive in California. Students are expected to show a concurrence of intent and physical presence 366 days before they are considered residents.

Graduate students petitioning for California resident classification are exempt from the financial independence requirement if any of the following apply:

The student will be 24 years old by December 31, 2011 for fall 2011 semester. For spring 2012 semester, a student must have been born in 1988 or earlier.
The student is married or has other legal dependents
The student was not claimed as a dependent on anyone's tax returns in 2009
The student is a veteran of the armed forces
University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) School of LawContinuing nonresident UCLA students seeking resident status, who feel they have met all UC residence requirements, may petition for a change of status for tuition purposes by filing a Petition for Residence Classification. A student who is in California solely for educational purposes is not eligible for California residence for tuition purposes.
Charlotte School of Law"Tuition is the same for in state and out of state residents."
University of Cincinnati College of Law"Reclassifying as an Ohio Resident
The State of Ohio does permit independent, self-sustaining non-resident students to reclassify as Ohio residents after 12 months of domicile. Typically this enables many law students to reclassify as Ohio residents for both their second and third years of study. More information is available through the Office of the Registrar"
City University of New York School of Law"New York State residency is based on clear and convincing evidence that one has assumed the responsibility of residency in New York State for at least one full year prior to the first day of classes at the Law School and a commitment to maintain New York State residency after graduation."
Cleveland State University—Cleveland-Marshall College of LawYou can review the criteria for establishing residency in Ohio at There link for frequently asked questions is at

"What are the requirements for establishing Ohio residency for tuition purposes?

-The student is expected to live in Ohio for a full 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which he/she is applying for residency.
-The student should demonstrate his/her intent to become an Ohio resident by transferring any items of registration to Ohio such as a driver's license, automobile registration, and voter registration (if applicable). These documents must be issued before the first day of classes.
-The student must demonstrate that during the 12-month period while establishing residency, that he/she have had sufficient income to meet all expenses without the need of money from outside the State of Ohio. Documentation of income sources used during the 12-month period is required.
University of Colorado Law School"To receive in-state tuition at Colorado Law, you must submit a residency application and be approved for in-state tuition classification by the university. Tuition classification is governed by the State...
In-state tuition eligibility requires one year of Colorado domicile (legal residence) immediately preceding the first day of class."
University of Connecticut School of Law"Simply stated, any student who was classified as an out-of-state resident upon entry may petition to change that classification one year after they establish domicile in Connecticut."
University of the District of Columbia—David A. Clarke School of Law"Any student, who will have resided in the District of Columbia for one year by the first day of classes for any semester, may apply for the preferential tuition rate."
University of Florida, Fredric G. Levin College of Law"Florida residency for tuition purposes is based solely on an independent claimant. If a student is dependent as per federal tax law, then the parent or legal guardian becomes the claimant, and residency for tuition purposes is based on that parent or legal guardian. If a student is independent as per federal tax law, the student is the claimant and residency for tuition purposes is based on the student. In most cases, copies of federal income tax returns are required to substantiate dependent or independent status. Further criteria for determining dependency can be found in section 3.0 of the Residency Guidelines."
Florida A&M University College of LawTo qualify as a Florida resident for tuition purposes, the student (dependent or independent) must be a

1. U.S. Citizen, or

2. Permanent resident alien or a legal alien granted indefinite stay by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) (This is the government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the United States) and

3. Person who established physical and legal residence in Florida for at least one year. “Evidence of legal residence and its duration shall include clear and convincing documentation that residency in this state was for a minimum of 12 consecutive months prior to a student’s initial enrollment in an institution of higher education (F. S. 1009.21. Students who do not meet this requirement cannot be classified as residents for tuition purposes.
Florida International University College of LawSee form: "Residency Reclassification Guidelines & Form
The Florida State University College of Law"Most non-residents are eligible to reclassify as Florida residents for tuition purposes after the 1L year. Using the 2014-15 tuition & fees schedule, if a student were to reclassify and pay in-state tuition for their second and third years of law school, they would pay an average of $27,364 per year for all three years. For information about the reclassification process, contact the law school’s Office of Admissions at 850.644.3787 or"
George Mason University School of Law"Here are the key considerations in deciding if a student qualifies for in-state tuition in Virginia:

Primary purpose for being in Virginia other than to obtain an education;
Establishment of a domicile in Virginia for a period of twelve months or more prior to the beginning of the term for which in-state tuition is sought;
Nature and source of financial resources;
Various evidence of domicile, such as ownership of a primary residence, permanent Virginia employment, payment of resident Virginia income taxes, registration and actual voting in Virginia; and
Financial dependence on a Virginia domiciliary, or financial independence
Each case has its own set of facts. There is no set checklist of items that will guarantee classification as a resident for tuition purposes. For more detailed information, please go to the Domicile FAQs."
University of Georgia School of Law"If you enroll in Georgia Law as a non-resident and you are an independent student, you may be classified as in-state for tuition purposes if you demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that you have abandoned your out-of-state domicile and have established a domicile and legal residence in Georgia.

Please note that there is no exact formula to ensure reclassification for independent students. Each case is evaluated according to its particular facts. The following actions, although not exhaustive or necessarily conclusive, support a claim for in-state status." See website for list.
Georgia State University College of LawTuition classification petitions are for students wishing to contest their current non-resident tuition classification status.

If you have been admitted to Georgia State University and are classified as a non-resident for tuition classification, and you think further information could alter that decision, you may submit a Petition for Tuition Reclassification.

Petition for Georgia Tuition Classification.doc
University of Hawai'i at Mānoa | William S. Richardson School of Law"To qualify for resident tuition, you must have been a bona fide resident of Hawaiʻi for at least one calendar year (365 days) prior to the semester for which you want resident tuition status. In addition, whether you are an adult or minor, you must not have been claimed as a dependent for tax purposes by your parents or court-ordered guardians for the calendar year in question if they are not legal residents of Hawaiʻi. Intent for resident tuition purposes is based not on your future actions, but on what you have done in the immediate past (i.e., prior to the semester for which you want resident tuition status). The following documents may be required to help determine resident tuition:

State of Hawaiʻi personal income tax, filing as a resident (required in all cases)
State of Hawaiʻi Voter Certificate
State of Hawaiʻi General Excise License
Employment verification
Bank account active in Hawaiʻi
Lease agreement
Proof of property ownership
Other documents as needed
You may also submit any other evidence you wish to have considered.

Not all documents are required, as one may be substituted for another.
University of Houston Law Center
" If you want to appeal your residency status, complete the residency questionnaire at

*Residency Questionnaire.pdf"
University of Idaho College of Law"A student who wishes to prove or certify Idaho residency for tuition purposes and present an application for review must follow each of these steps:" See and expand steps 1-4
University of Illinois College of LawTo request review for possible change in your residency classification, download the petition or obtain a copy from the Office of the Registrar. You must submit the petition by September 30 for Fall, February 15 for Spring, or June 20 for Summer. If you fail to submit a petition within the allotted time period, you lose all rights to a change in status and adjustment of your assessed tuition for the term, but the petition may be submitted for a following term.

For additional information, refer to the University’s frequently asked questions about in-state and out-of-state residency or call 217-333-6565.
Indiana University Maurer School of Law—BloomingtonAt this time, a person cannot gain residency in the state of Indiana if they relocate to Indiana for the purpose of education and earning a degree. Generally, in order to earn residency in the state of Indiana, one must live and work full time in Indiana for 12 consecutive month
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law"Your residence classification for fee-paying purposes was determined at the time of your application. Nonresident students who wish to become Indiana residents for fee-paying purposes should contact the Registrar’s Office to submit an appeal.

You can find answers to frequently asked questions regarding residency requirements and a link to view the rules used to determine residency on the Office of the Registrar’s web page at"
The University of Iowa College of LawIf you want to establish residency for tuition and fee purposes, you would have to live in Iowa for 12 consecutive months. During those 12 months, you could be registered no more than half-time at any institution in the state. [For an undergraduate student, this would be no more than six semester hours during the Fall semester, six semester hours during the Spring semester, and no more than four semester hours total during the Summer sessions. For a graduate student, this means enrollment not exceeding 5-5-4 semester hours.] This enrollment maximum is cumulative enrollment in the state of Iowa. It includes your UI courses, Guided Independent Study courses, community college courses, classes at all public and private Iowa colleges, etc. 10/9/2015
The University of Kansas School of Law"The KU Office of the University Registrar (OUR) makes all residency decisions. For more information and to apply for residency, contact OUR at 785-864-4472 or"
University of Kentucky College of Law"If you have lived in Kentucky for at least a year prior to applying to law school, you are automatically a resident for tuition purposes unless you were attending undergraduate school in Kentucky during that time and were living in another state prior to college. If you apply for residency as a UK Law student or candidate for admission, the facts of your situation will be considered on a case-by-case basis." 10/9/2015
Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law CenterNo tuition difference between resident and non-resident
University of Louisville's Brandeis School of Law"The University of Louisville participates in the Indiana Tuition Reciprocity Program for residents of selected counties who have been admitted into an approved program. Student pursuing degrees from the professional schools of Law, Medicine and Dentistry are not eligible to participate in the program. Indiana residents enrolled in the Louis D. Brandeis Law School will be billed at the non-resident tuition rate.
Contact the Law School admissions office at 502-852-6364 for additional information on residency requirements and determination. The admissions office also can provide copies of forms for requesting a change in residency classification. Additional information is available online at"
University of Maine School of LawChange of Residency Classification Procedure

To request a change of residency status, the following procedures must be followed:

A Request for Change of Residence Status (PDF - 183kb) must be filed with the Director of Student Financial Services, 96 Falmouth Street, PO Box 9300, Portland, ME 04104-9300 before the first day of classes for the Summer session, Fall, or Spring semester for which residency is requested. All applications are prospective.

The completed request must be signed by a Notary Public.
University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law"To qualify for in-state status, applicants must have lived in Maryland, or been financially dependent on someone living in Maryland, for, at a minimum, the 12-month period immediately preceding the date of application to the School of Law. Factors determining in-state status also include the state in which a candidate's driver's license and motor vehicle/voter registration are held, and where the most recent income taxes were paid."
"Residency Status is determined by the Office of Records and Registration for the University of Maryland Baltimore. For more information on the residency policy, please visit"
Massachusetts School of Law at AndoverNOT FOUND
The University of Memphis—Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law"1) If a student’s primary source of support is the parents, then at least one of the parents must be a resident of the state of Tennessee for the student to count as in-state. NOTE: If a student has begun his or her studies as an in-state student, the student stays in-state as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled even if the parent subsequently moves to another state. 2) If the student is “emancipated,” i.e. not supported primarily through the parents, a student must have their “domicile” in the state of Tennessee. a.Normally, a student establishes domicile by residing in Tennessee for at least two regular (fall or spring) semesters before enrolling full-time at a college or university in Tennessee. b. Students who have been residents of Tennessee for less than the normal period must clearly establish that they moved to Tennessee for reasons other than educational purposes before enrolling at a college or university in Tennessee. Some examples of documentation could be copies of a lease or mortgage information, TN driver’s license, utility bill, TN voter’s registration, etc. 3) As long as an out-of-state student is continuously enrolled full-time at an institution of higher-education in Tennessee, the assumption is that they are here primarily for educational purposes. 4) The spouse of a student classified as in-state shall also be classified as in-state. (Note: the spouse must be a student. A copy of the marriage certificate should be provided) 5) An out-of-state student attending the University of Memphis on a part-time basis (11 hrs max for undergraduate students and 8 hrs max for graduate students) may pay fees at an in-state rate in a given semester if they can establish, prior to the beginning of the semester, that he or she is employed full-time in the state of Tennessee. A letter of employment must be provided by the employer each semester. Information should be included verifying that the student is employed full-time (minimum of 37.5 hours per week.) 6) An active duty military personnel whose ‘Home of Record’ is Tennessee but who is stationed elsewhere is considered an in-state student for fee paying purposes. 7) Applicants who provide evidence that they have been transferred by their employer to Tennessee will be considered in-state. A letter from the employer is required prior to the beginning of the semester for documentation. 8) Students who are non-immigrant visa holders will be considered as non-residents for fee paying purposes. Students who are on a work related visa (H-1) may be eligible to pay in-state fees providing that they work full-time in Tennessee and enroll part-time. Documentation should be provided by the employer prior to the beginning of the semester. Applicants who hold an “H-4” visa and who have applied for “Dual Intent Status” must provide documentation validating the filing to be considered for in-state tuition. 9) Non-immigrant visa holders who have been approved for Permanent Residency status must provide one the following as documentation to be considered an in-state student for fee paying purposes; congratulatory letter from Homeland Security, stamped passport, or copy of green card. Asylum and refugee classifications are considered to be Permanent Residents. A copy of the I-94 card is required."
The University of Michigan Law School"Residency Classification Guidelines are complex and comprehensive and in order to ensure that they are fairly implemented, review of additional information by the experts in the Residency Classification Office is required in many cases—perhaps because you have been employed outside the state within the last three years, or because you attended a college outside the state, or for one of many other possible reasons. The University's Residency Classification Guidelines and an Application for Resident Classification can be found on the Web at, or you're welcome to contact the Residency Classification Office with your questions, in person or by mail at 1210 LSA Building, 500 South State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382, or by telephone at 734.764.1400. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays."
University of Minnesota Law School"All residency decisions are made by the University of Minnesota Residency Office, not the Law School. Although all residency requests are reviewed by the Residency Office on a case-by-case basis, factors that have been known to help establish residency include:
--Employment and paying taxes in Minnesota
--Owning a home in Minnesota
--A Minnesota driver’s license
--Having a spouse or partner also living and working in Minnesota " "Resident tuition is offered to qualifying residents of South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Manitoba. For questions about reciprocity, the student's home state makes the reciprocity determination."
The University of Mississippi School of Law"Can a nonresident establish Mississippi residency?

Yes, and many of our nonresidents do just that. After the first year of law school, a student can establish residency in this state, provided the student has lived in Mississippi for 12 consecutive months, and obtains a Mississippi driver’s license, car tag and voter’s registration. Non-resident students can obtain a residency form available on the Application Requirements Page."
University of Missouri School of LawAs a public, land-grant institution, the University of Missouri offers reduced rates of tuition and fees to Missouri residents. In order to gain residency as an out-of-state student, you must live and work in Missouri for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the semester you plan to apply.

To apply for in-state status, you must complete a Petition for Missouri Resident Status for Fall 2015 and submit it with photocopies of all the required documentation. All of the residency requirements must be met and the application process must be followed correctly in order for your petition to be approved.
University of Missouri—Kansas City School of LawNon-Missouri residents may petition for Missouri residency after their first year of law school. Paying in-state fees will considerably reduce your cost for obtaining your law degree. Keep in mind you have to meet certain eligibility requirements.

To qualify for in-state rates at Mizzou, you must meet the official residency requirements established by the Missouri Department of Higher Education. Please see our guide to establishing residency for a list of required documents and steps in the petitioning process.

To apply for in-state status, complete a Petition for Residency and submit it with photocopies of all required documentation. Each petition is reviewed individually.
University of Montana School of Law"With certain exceptions, in order to be eligible for in-state status, a person must meet a 12-month durational residency test. You will have to demonstrate a bona fide intent to become a Montana resident. The 12-month period does not start until some act indicative of an intent to establish residency is taken. Mere presence in Montana or enrollment at a unit will not serve to start this period. Sufficient acts to start the period are registration to vote, obtaining a Montana driver's license, registration of a motor vehicle in Montana, purchase of home in Montana, or filing of a resident Montana tax return. The 12-months must be completed by the 15th instructional day to qualify for that term.

For more information regarding residency, please see: "
University of Nebraska College of Law"Q: Can I apply for residency?

A: In certain circumstances, students may be eligible to apply for residency. Students who qualify must complete and return the Application for Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes form within the appropriate timeframe listed on the form. Click here for more information on eligibility and for the Application. The University of Nebraska College of Law follows the University of Nebraska’s residency policy exactly; however, please note that the links and information on that site for scholarships and costs are for undergraduate students and NOT law students. Please contact the Nebraska College of Law’s Admissions Office for questions regarding residency, scholarships, and costs."
University of Nevada Las Vegas, William S. Boyd School of Law"How do I obtain Nevada residency?

Applicants that have lived in Nevada one year prior to the start of classes and Nevada high school graduates are automatically classified as residents at the time of application. Otherwise, applicants and students need to submit a residency application to obtain Nevada residency."
The University of New Mexico School of LawHow do you petition for New Mexico residency for tuition purposes?

Acquire the Petition for In-State Tuition Classification and the checklist of required supporting documentation. All supporting documents are kept confidential. Petitions are accepted for the Fall term beginning the first week of July, and for the Spring term beginning the first week of December. Your completed petition and required supporting documentation must be submitted to the Mesa Vista Hall North One-Stop, no later than the second Friday of the term.
University of North Carolina School of LawStudents may petition for residency reclassification prior to the start of any academic term (i.e. nonresidents are not locked in to the nonresident tuition rate for all 3 years). More information about the residency process can be found within the North Carolina State Residence Classification Manual at
North Carolina Central University School of Law"To qualify for in-state tuition, a legal resident must have maintained his or her domicile in North Carolina for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to his or her classification as a resident for tuition purposes."
University of North Dakota School of Law"Tuition & Mandatory Fees (click link then law school tab)" Further links bring you to residency guidelines. Resident Tuition Law and Guidelines >>
Northern Illinois University College of Law"For the purposes of tuition, students are classified as residents or non-residents of the state of Illinois. To be considered a resident, an individual or an individual's parent or guardian must have been a bona fide resident of the state of Illinois for a period of at least 6 consecutive months immediately preceding the beginning of any term for which he or she registers at the university. To establish residency, specific documentation must be submitted to the Office of Registration and Records within 30 calendar days of the date designated on the official university calendar as the date regular classes begin. Documentation and instructions on residency are available at the Office of Registration and Records."
Northern Kentucky University—Salmon P. Chase College of LawIf my home is in Kentucky do I automatically qualify for Kentucky Residency, or do I have to live in Kentucky for a year before I qualify?

If you are not admitted to Northern Kentucky University as a Kentucky resident and you would like to appeal the decision, you will need to fill out and submit the Residency Application Packet. If you have any questions about the application you may contact the Office of the Registrar at
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law"Ohio residents receive a top-notch legal education for an excellent value. Whether one is an Ohio native returning to the Buckeye State or an out-of-state student, establishing Ohio residency is relatively easy.

Students relocating to Ohio for their legal education can be reclassified as Ohio residents and pay the in-state tuition rate after living in the state for 12 months and meeting other criteria. Nearly all of our students pay in-state tuition by the second and third years of law school.

The Moritz College of Law is not involved with establishing Ohio residency. Rather, students work directly with the Office of the University Registrar. Residency rules, deadlines, and related materials are available on the Registrar’s website."
University of Oklahoma College of Law"All applicants are classified as resident or nonresident for admission and tuition purposes, based on information provided on the application for admission. Applicants may be required to submit evidence to substantiate their claim to resident classification. A uniform policy concerning resident status exists for all state-supported institutions of higher education in Oklahoma.

If an applicant has questions regarding resident classification or would like to request a copy of the policy statement, he or she may contact the Office of Admissions, The University of Oklahoma, 1000 Asp Avenue, Norman, Oklahoma, 73019-0430 or by phone at (405) 325-2251.

Click here to for more information about Oklahoma's Residency Policy (opens in new window)."
University of Oregon School of LawOnly bona fide Oregon residents qualify for in-state tuition. The UO carefully reviews the residency status of all students under the Oregon Administrative Rules. Only authorized residency officers may apply and interpret these rules and procedures. No other indication or determination of residency by any other institutional office, department, program, or staff represents the official institutional determination of residency for the University of Oregon.
The Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson Law"Please see Penn State University's policy on residency classification:"
The Pennsylvania State University, Penn State Law"We do not have a discounted tuition rate for in-state students; all law students at Penn State Law have the same tuition rate regardless of state residency. However, state residency would come into consideration if you were considering pursuing one of our joint degree programs. Below is the official guideline from the University for tuition purposes from Penn State.

Again, this would not be an issue unless you were pursuing a program of study outside of the law degree program. " 10/19/2015
University of Pittsburgh School of Law"Residency status is determined at the University level. Click here for residency requirements."
University of Puerto Rico School of LawNOT FOUND
Rutgers—The State University—School of Law—CamdenNOT FOUND
Rutgers University School of Law—NewarkNOT FOUND
University of South Carolina School of LawNOT FOUND
The University of South Dakota School of LawAs a public school, tuition costs vary based on residency status. You can determine your eligibility for South Dakota residency by reviewing the South Dakota Board of Regents Policy. If you wish to apply for a change of residency status, you must contact the University Registrar’s Office.
Southern Illinois University School of Law
Southern Illinois University Carbondale is a state-supported institution. Although our non-resident tuition rate is much lower than that of most private schools, it is considerably higher than the resident tuition rate. However, our policy permits students to change their classification status from non-resident to Illinois resident.
Southern University Law Center"For purposes of assigning tuition and fees at institutions in the Southern University System, a resident student shall be degined as an individual who has abandoned all prior domiciles, established a domicile of his/her own in the State of Louisiana and who has been domiciled in the State of Louisiana continuously for a period (herein called the "domiciliary period") of at least the one full calendar year immediately preceeding the first day of classes for which resident classification is sought. The Individual's physical presence within this State solely for education purposes will not be sufficient for resident classification, regardless of the length of time he/she has been present in the State."
SUNY Buffalo Law School"As a result of being a public law school, our in-state tuition is very affordable. Out-of-state residents pay a slightly higher tuition but are eligible to establish New York residency for their second and third years of study.

If you are an out-of-state student, consider changing your permanent state of residency to New York. To qualify for in-state residency you must visit UB's Student Accounts and complete the Application for Residency for New York State Tuition Purposes (PDF)."
Temple University—James E. Beasley School of Law"The law school does not make residency determinations for tuition purposes. All residency determinations are made by the Residency Certification staff in the University Office of Academic Records. Generally, a student who comes to Pennsylvania primarily or solely for the purpose of pursuing his or her education will not be considered a Pennsylvania resident for tuition purposes. A student may challenge his or her non-resident classification by submitting a residency application to the University Office of Academic Records. Copies of the Resident Tuition Eligibility Guidelines and a Pennsylvania Residency Application are available from the Law School Admissions Office. Students considering a challenge to a non-resident classification should be aware that choosing to live in campus-related or university housing may raise a barrier to reclassification. Click here for application materials and more information."
University of Tennessee College of LawProspective students residing in states other than Tennessee frequently ask how they can be reclassified as a resident of Tennessee so they can be eligible for the in-state tuition rate. Residency classification involves the legal definition of “domicile” and is influenced by the status of a student as “dependent” or “independent” of his or her parents. State regulations guide public colleges and universities in applying rules to determine if students are classified as “in-state” or “out of state.” The residency classification of a student under the age of 24 and still in the care or custody of their parents is the same as the residency of the parent, and if even one parent lives in Tennessee, that student is classified as in-state. While professional students are considered independent of their parents for consideration for federal financial aid, prospective students seeking reclassification still must show that the move to Tennessee was not primarily for educational purposes.

The residency reclassification decision is based on clear and convincing evidence that the candidate has established himself or herself as a resident of Tennessee. Law students who have been successful in the reclassification process have established ties to the state of Tennessee through employment while in law school and during the summers between years of law school, taken steps to establish themselves as a professional in the community and in the legal community in the state, and demonstrated their intent to remain in the state after graduation. Additionally, students who have been reclassified have taken the steps citizens normally take when establishing domicile, such as changing one’s driver’s license and registering to vote in Tennessee.

If you are currently a resident of a state other than Tennessee and wish to be considered for classification as a Tennessee resident for tuition purposes, please complete and submit the Residency Reclassification Form (PDF) and provide a statement outlining the steps you have taken to establish domicile in Tennessee—along with any supporting documentation—and include any information that demonstrates your ties to the state.
The University of Texas School of Law"Generally, an applicant must reside and establish a domicile in the state of Texas for a period of one year prior to enrolling as a student. The University's Residency Officer, not the Law School, makes determinations of residency status. Questions concerning a candidate's classification as a resident or as a nonresident should be addressed to Residency Officer, Graduate and International Admissions Center, The University of Texas, P.O. Box 7608, Austin, TX; 78713-7608; telephone: (512) 475-7391." Link to Residency Office:
Texas Southern University—Thurgood Marshall School of LawNOT FOUND
Texas Tech University School of Law"Students who move to Texas after reaching the age of 18 are considered to be nonresidents unless they have resided in the state for other than educational purposes for a period of 12 months immediately preceding enrollment. Questions of residency status frequently arise concerning members of the Armed Forces assigned to duty in Texas and persons who have been Texas residents but have moved out of Texas for employment."
The University of Toledo College of LawTo be classified as an Ohio resident for tuition purposes you must present evidence that you qualify as an Ohio resident under the criteria set forth by the Ohio Board of Regents, or that you meet one of the specific exceptions. In general, a student must live in Ohio for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding enrollment to be considered an Ohio resident. Those individuals who are living in Ohio for the sole purpose of obtaining higher education are generally not eligible for classification as Ohio residents.f
University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law"Students attending the S.J. Quinney College of Law who are coded as non-residents for tuition purposes are required to pay non-resident tuition and fees (Utah Code Annotated 1953, 53B-8-102). Under current University of Utah policy, non-residents are able to apply for residency after successfully completing 40 law school credit hours and residing in Utah for the twelve continuous months immediately prior to the first day of class for the academic term in which the student wishes to be considered a resident. To earn 40 credits within 12 months requires attending summer school for ten credits after completing the first year curriculum. Summer school tuition is charged at the in-state rate for all students.
While the completion of credit hours is the most common method our students use to qualify for residency, there are a number of situations under which a non-resident can be reclassified as a resident."
University of Virginia School of Law"Current students at Virginia Law who are seeking to apply to change their residency status to in-state should instead complete the Virginia Student Status Form that is also available at under "Other Forms for Current UVA Students or Applicants (if requested by office)."
Washburn University School of Law"Current Kansas, Colorado, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska residents can attend Washburn Law at resident tuition rates (maintenance of a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) OR establishing Kansas residency by non-Kansas students required to continue to qualify for resident tuition).
Residents of all other states can qualify for in-state tuition after only six months (e.g., non-resident students living in Kansas by July 1 prior to their first fall semester can take advantage of resident tuition when they enroll for the second semester in January). These students may qualify for a Washburn Advantage Award to assist with first year tuition."
University of Washington School of Law"In order for University of Washington students to be considered residents for tuition purposes, they first must be able to prove that they are U.S. citizens, have U.S. permanent resident cards, or have a qualifying visa (A, E, G, H1, I, K or L).

To be classified or reclassified as residents, for tuition and fee purposes, students must establish a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than education for the period of one year immediately prior to classification as residents.

Nonresident students who are enrolled for more than 6 credits a quarter will be presumed to be in the state of Washington for primarily educational purposes. Such period of enrollment shall not be counted toward the establishment of a bona fide domicile of one year in this state unless the students prove they have, in fact, established a bona fide domicile in this state primarily for purposes other than education."
Wayne State University Law School"Resident tuition is available to Michigan residents and those who qualify for the University's Good Neighbor Program, including residents of Ontario or the contiguous counties of Ohio (Fulton, Lucas, Ottawa, and Williams Counties)."

"The presence in this state of a student from another state or country for the primary purpose of attending school is not residence. It is presumedthat a non-resident at the time of his or her enrollment continues in that classification throughout his or her presence as a student, except where itcan be established that presence in the State of Michigan is primarily for purposes that are not educational, with enrollment only incident to theprimary purpose of establishing a domicile." See "Residence Regulations and Reviews Procedures":
West Virginia University College of LawThe Director of Admissions assigns every student enrolling at WVU a residency status for admission, tuition and fee purposes. Students may apply for reclassification if they have a strong, well-documented case for a change in residency status.
William & Mary Law School"Generally, state financial aid programs and in-state tuition are reserved for Virginia domiciliaries (that is, residents of Virginia). As one of Virginia's public institutions, William and Mary adheres to the domiciliary requirements set forth by Virginia law. Reduced tuition charges are subsidized by the taxpayers of Virginia, and eligibility is governed by Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia.

The following links provides source documents concerning domicile. All determinations of in-state tuition eligibility are dictated by the Code of Virginia and the regulations set forth by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) Domicile Guidelines. -Virginia Domicile Law - Code of Virginia
-Virginia Domicile Guidelines - Virginia Administrative Code
-Domicile Resources - State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV)
-Financial Benefits for Military Veterans and their Families "
University of Wisconsin Law School"Residency for tuition purposes can be a complex issue and is governed by a Wisconsin state statute.

Not everyone living is Wisconsin is eligible for resident tuition. In general, you must be a bona fide resident of Wisconsin for at least 12 months prior to enrollment to be eligible for in-state tuition. If you do not qualify as a Wisconsin resident, you will be assessed nonresident tuition. In determining residence status for tuition purposes, different standards are used than those which may be used for voting, paying taxes, etc. Individuals who come to Wisconsin primarily for educational purposes do not automatically qualify as Wisconsin residents for tuition purposes even after living in Wisconsin a year or more. If you are deemed a nonresident when you enroll in the Law School, you will remain a nonresident for all three years. The university does not grant resident status after the first year of enrollment.

For more information about the Wisconsin state statutes that govern residence status for tuition purposes, please visit the Registrar's Residence for Tuition Purposes page or contact the Office of the Registrar's Residency Counselors at 608-262-1355."
University of Wyoming College of Law"Residency
Residency status for tuition purposes is not automatically granted. The minimum amount of time you have to reside in the state to qualify is one year; however it is very rare that a student’s residency status is based solely on that factor. Decisions for changes in status are made through the undergraduate Admissions Office at the University. These decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. Multiple factors in addition to the time an applicant has resided in Wyoming are considered. The website listing the University’s policies on residency status is:, A to Z Directory. Specific questions regarding establishing residency status should be directed to the undergraduate admissions office at (307) 766-5160, 1-800-342-5996, or"