|PES - GATE ID Tool|
|Creative / Productive||Leadership / Social||Visual / Performing Arts|
|Naturalistic||Cultural Traditions||Intellectual Abilities||Spiritual|
|• Can produce original &|
• Generates a large number
of ideas (quality of ideas counts - Specials)
• Produces original ideas &
has unusual insights - advanced insights
• Uses creative thinking to
solve problems with
imaginative & / or logical
• Problem-finds as well as
-Can organise, invent and structure the production of creative material
- A critical thinker and likes to ask questions
|• Socially mature,|
communicates very effectively.
• Is popular with peers
• Looked to by (teachers and) others to
take a leadership role &
able to organize a group,
motivate & support
members & help them to
carry out a group task
• Actively seeks leadership
in class & school activities
• Sensitive to others with a
strong sense of justice
• Empathises with other
students & aids them in
solving their problems
Able to see what needs to be done ahead of others.
Has presence/mana amidst peer group and/or adults.
Able to read nouances in meaning to understand wit and humour.
Can take responsibilities and organise others eg organiser, rosters, timetables etc.
Builds up the team.
Key supporter of the 'leader' could be done gently/quietly in background.
Can cause another to do a 'U turn', persuading.
• Responds readily to rhythm, melody & harmony.
• Has visible high performance in dance & dramatic activities with musical elements.
• Composes original music, songs, lyrics.
Can play an instrument proficiently.
Can sing back right tune/rhythm.
Can play with other musicians in a band.
Has perfect pitch.
Can easily pick up sounds, notes on one instrument and apply it to another
-acts showing understand for role of character and more with ease
-mimicking, adding to and creating in advance
|Fine Motor Skills|
• Demonstrates ability in fine motor skills
• Is inventive in constructing or modifying products & / or models with attention to detail
Picks up skills in advance, with ease
Spatial awareness on the field, court.
Shows perseverance and will practise to master skill.
Can coach others to do the same - break the steps down
|• Has empathy with the environment|
• Perceptive of environmental issues
• Passionate and curious about the natural world
• Particularly interested in endangered species
• Concerned with environmental issues
Has green thumbs
Unusually good with animals
Fascinated with animals dead or alive.
Likes to be outdoors
|Shows an awareness/knowledge/understanding of the following in their own culture ...|
family connections and
Leadership that inspires
• Te Mahi Rehia
understanding of protocols, customs and rituals
Aware of cultural customs
|• Quick to master new concepts|
• Thinks quickly
• Recalls facts and concepts
• May use advanced vocabulary
• Has a large knowledge base
• Sees patterns & relationships
• Makes connections
• Able to generalize, propose big
• Thinks logically
• Reasons critically
• Judges/challenges critically
• Can ask probing questions
• Prefers accurate and valid
Formulates and supports ideas
Spatial awareness - thinking in 3D, read maps.
Demonstrate an exceptional ability in literacy (implicit in other criteria)
|Intuitive, wise, old soul, cultural awareness, connection to land and ancestry|
|Exudes mana and self confidence (specials), visionary||Drama|
• Readily shifts into a role of another
character, animal or object
• Demonstrates ability to dramatise feelings & experiences through means of facial
expression, gestures & body movements
• Brings a dramatic situation to a climax with a well-timed ending
Takes risks. Good improvisation
|_||Reciprocity - understanding of sharing (Pasifika cultures), |
Oratory: formal public speaking, the art of eloquence, Able to read the crowd/audience and skills.
|Memory - ability to remember things, will come across a piece of information and remember it. |
Focus to see tasks through to completion
Boredom and misbehaviour
Shows choreography skills
Gifted mimicing /copying routines
Can innovate on top of copying dance moves
It's natural, understands body position, use of head, hands, arms, legs
Stands out when performing a routine.
Can clearly see what they look like - great sense of timing, sequential memory, diff. genres.
|- exceptional motivation to enhance performance (specials), athletic leadership?? All-round skilled athletes|
- Technical problem solving skills (eg. Running the sound desk)
|Art - Graphic/Practical/Visual|
• Puts depth into drawing, showing
planning & good proportion
• Shows originality in artistic media
• Is willing to try out new materials &
• Demonstrates outstanding ability in
one or more art media
May take risks with media
Great spatial awareness
|Record Names of tamariki who best fit the characteristics in the columns below each aptitude|
|Creative / Productive||Leadership / Social||Music||Fine Motor Skills?||Naturalistic||Cultural Traditions/Competency||Intellectual Abilities||Spiritual|
|Jordan Samuels||Tevita Smith||Marilyn||Jordan Samuels||Jordan Samuels|
|Khaia||Taunese Leitufia||Jordan||Collin Nouata||Collin||Stevenson||Elizabeth Glassie|
|Promiseland???||Dance:||Elizabeth Uea||Tevita Smith||Ask Amiee for names - ext maths|
|Ariana||Tevita Loseli?||Melaia, Collin, Amelia Loseli||Stevenson Erick||Taunese|
|Lucy Misilei||Graphic Art:||Sohel Mohammed (left)||Dartanian|
|Elizabeth Glassie||Jordan S, Simon, Johnlee||Taunese Leitufia|
|Sateki||Visual Art||Elizabeth Uea|
|George Pu'epu'emai||Simon,||Temauri Amai Hutchinson|