|Go back to Dish With Vivien|
|Vege soup||salted egg, century egg, garlic, anchovy|
|chicken wine soup|
fry bentong ginger julienned in sesame oil, add garlic
add chicken, mushroom
add wine, salt, pepper
|Half chicken, marinate in soy sauce and white pepper for 30 minutes
200g bentong ginger, chopped with skin
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
700g rice wine
|chicken feet soup||30 chicken feet, whole chicken bone, 100-150gm peanut, salt, white carrot(optional)|
|miso soup||mushroom, lettuce, fishball, tofu 1 Tablespoon miso paste sesame oil pepper|
|Salmon bone soup||1) Wash and dry 600g salmon bone and head|
2) Oil, 8 slice ginger, salt, fry the salmon till crunchy light brown
3) Add hot boiling water
4) Chinese mushroom, white pepper corn
5) Add tofu, daikon slice, shaoxing wine, sugar + salt, 1 bird eye chili
6) Spring onion/coriander
optional: 4 TBSP miso / 80g
|seaweed soup||1 tomato (sliced thinly)|
few piece of seaweed (torn into small piece)
optional: some miso paste
|vegetarian lotus root soup||600g lotus root|
10 pc shitake mushroom
|Pumpkin soup||1/4 onion|
1 tsp oil
quarter teaspoon curry powder
salt & pepper
|bittergourd fry egg||4 eggs, 1 bittergourd, salt, black pepper|
|Tomato with egg|
|Egg with taucu for 2 pax
1 big bunch spring onion
2 red chili
A few cloves garlic
4 Tablespoon taucu
Some olive oil
|Hard boil eggs till just cooked, cool it, then slice it to thin slices.
Cut spring onion into small dice.
Dice red chili
Olive oil + garlic + chillin + taucu
Add spring onion
Combine, serve with rice.
|tempe with long bean|
pan with oil, lightly cook the tempeh and green beans for about 3-5mins, set aside.
Add a little more oil, saute the green onions, half the quantity of garlic, then tomatoes and cook till tomatoes release the juices.
Add in the sauce and then return the tempeh and green beans and simmer with sauce till green beans are cooked, and sauce is reduced.
|8-10 cherry tomatoes, sliced to halves
2-3 green onions, sliced to half-finger lengths
5 gloves garlic finely minced
454g green beans, sliced to half-finger lengths
1 block tempeh, sliced to cube sizes
salt and pepper to taste
1tbsp light soy sauce
2-3tbsp tomato sauce
1tbsp chili sauce 1tsp brown sugar
4-5 tbsp of water
|batter for fried oyster mushroom||1 cup white flour|
half cup corn flour
1 tsp salt
|Potato cutlet||shallot, black pepper, tuna|
Steam 7 minutes++ in medium fire in pot with gap by sticking chopstick, topped with fried shallot
|1 egg |
3 part water
1 cooked salted egg
salt + pepper
|Steamed pork mince|
Mix water slowly into pork mixture till sticky
Optional: 3 eggs + 150ml water + 0.5 tsp salt
|猪绞肉 220g, can reduce to 50gram|
绍兴酒 1 1/2茶匙
|Tofu diced (Mapo style)||with mince meat, sesame oil, bean paste etc|
|tofu with pumpkin sauce|
Steam cut pumpkin for 20 mins
Mash pumpkin fry minced garlic add spicy taucu add mashed pumpkin
Add oyster sauce, tofu
|quarter piece pumpkin
1 box tofu
1 tsp mince garlic
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp tauchu
1 cup water
|Chicken Pan fry - chicken wing/drumstick||marinate 4 wings(cut into halves) in 2 TBSP oyster&soy, 1/2 TBSP chili oil at least half an hour|
fry 4 cloves garlic in 2 TBSP oil, then wings till cooked
add 1.5tsp sugar dissolved in 1 TBSP water
|Chicken Pan fry - cola chicken|
marinate few hours
cook with 1 can of coke
1 Tablespoon soy sauce + few slice ginger (taste to ensure salt level)
|Chicken Pan fry - Braised Chicken with Soy Sauce and Tong Kwai|
3 whole chicken legs, skin on
5g tong kwai (about 3 large slices)
1/3 cup of good quality soy sauce (Orchid brand premium soy sauce or Poh Poh light soy sauce)
1 cup water
1 tbspn Chinese cooking wine
45g rock sugar (about the size of a ping pong ball)
|Prepare a wide saucepan that can fit three chicken legs in one layer side by side.|
Put the slices of tong kwai at the bottom of the pan, followed by the chicken legs, skin down. Arrange in a single layer.
Add in all the other ingredients. The liquid should cover almost the entire surface of the meat.
Cover and bring to a boil. Turn down to a gentle simmer for 15minutes before turning to the other side and braise for another 10-15minutes.
Switch off the fire and let it cool, covered for at least 1 hour so the sauce will gradually thicken.
Garnish with coriander
|steamed chicken with Tong Kwai||chicken, wine, dang gui, ginger, soy sauce|
Fry below in oil:
1 pc Pandan
2 pc star anise
2 pc cinnamon stick
4 pc cardamon
Then add below:
5 pc shallot
3 pc garlic
|Then add below:|
1 Tablespoon fennel powder
2 tablespoon cumin powder, some don't use this
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tsp chili powder
2 pc green chilli
Optional 1 tomato chopped roughly
1 cup yogurt/milk
Salt to taste
|mutton curry - mia|
Stir fry spices, then add on garlic, shallot and dried chili until your kitchen starts to smell real good
Throw in the curry paste and wait for bubbles to appear, it’s cooking!
Just leave it for a while more
Put it mutton and let it cook for a while
Add water if needed
Add in some milk, depending on how creamy you’d want your curry to be
Add in tomatoes
Add salt to taste, add coriander for some kick
Spices like kayu manis, bunga lawang, etc.
Garlic, 1-2 cloves
Shallot, 1 piece
Smoking hot dried chili, up to you
Curry powder, 3 tablespoons mixed with water to become paste
Mutton, a handful
Cherry tomatoes, 2 pieces
Coriander for garnishing
2 big onion, use purple ones
|about 1kg of chicken and marinate em with yogurt|
5 green chilies
1 tbsp each of garlic and ginger paste
Add oil, Fry the THICK sliced onions - from 1 of the onion, till it's soft, set aside
Add butter, add the other 1 onion, ginger and garlic paste, add 1 TBSP each below:
Turmeric, Coriander, Red Chili, Cumin
Add green chili
Add some water, cook few minutes
Add 1st batch of onion and garam marsala, cook 1-2 minutes
decorate with coriander
|curry chicken||1.4kg chicken, should be less than 1.5kg|
marinate in pounced old ginger and 2.5 tsp sea salt
5 potatoes or more, baked or fried
blend below ingredients:
300g bag of rose shallot
10g dried chilli, about 9 pieces, soak in hot water
100g galangal ginger, it is quite forgiving thus can use more if you want
Optional, 10g turmeric, i didn't use
2 TBSP meat curry powder
4 stalk lemongrass
5 sprigs curry leaves
Optional: 2 kaffir lime leaf, 3 candle nut
Optional: 1 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 cloves
|Roti Jala (Both recipes are nice)|
240g coconut milk
+ additional 122g water/coconut milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
Trick: cut onion into half, prick with a bamboo stick, use it to brush pan with oil for onion fragrance
|200g all-purpose flour|
100ml fresh milk
1/3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp corn oil
Mix and sieve, leave for 30 mins
Using a sharp-pointed knife (a corkscrew or nail works just as well), poke three holes in the cap of a plastic water bottle. Fill the bottle with your pancake batter.
Curry Paste [Blended and Mix with powdered ingredients]
4 red chillies
10 dried chillies - soaked
100 gm shallots
3 tbsp meat curry powder
2-3 tsp mixed halba
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tbsp tumeric powder
Heat oil, cook curry paste till oil separates
Add vegetables, seasoning and stir fry to mix ingredients well. Add in water just enough to cover the vegetables.
Cook for about 15 minutes or till soft. Add in tofu puffs and coconut milk.
|4-5 tbsp cooking oil|
250 gm cabbage - washed and break into pieces
1 carrot - peeled and cut wedges
1 eggplant - washed and cut thick wedges
150 gm long beans - washed and cut 4 cm length
200 gm tofu pok [tofu puff]
some kaffir lime leaves - optional for garnishing
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sugar
enough water to cover ingredients
150 ml thick coconut milk/fresh milk
100 grams moong daal (red lentil without husk), soaked for 10 minutes before cooking
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 piece cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon red chile powder
Salt, to taste
2 tablespoons ghee or butter (mixed with 1 tbsp oil)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 clove garlic, sliced finely
2 dried red chilli
5 fresh curry leaves
2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
1 inch ginger, julienned
1/2 teaspoon garam masala, to serve
|1) Drain the moong lentil and add to a saucepan. Cover with water and add turmeric, cinnamon stick, and red chile powder and allow to come to the boil. |
2) When it reaches a boil, turn low, skim any froth, and allow to cook for 10 to 20 minutes, until the lentils are soft and cooked through. If the lentils dry up, add a little water as they cook. The end result should be the consistency of thick soup.
3) When cooked, place in a serving bowl and prepare the tempering. In a small frying pan, heat the ghee.
4) Add the cumin seeds allow to splutter, add the sliced garlic, and when it turns slightly brown, add the red chile and curry leaves. Only let these splutter for a couple of seconds and do not let the garlic brown too much or else the ghee might taste bitter
5) Immediately pour this over the cooked lentils and garnish with cilantro leaves and ginger and sprinkle a little garam masala on top.
|Nyonya Sambal Paste, serve 4|
For the Nyonya sambal:
2 stalks (40g) lemongrass – roughly chopped
12 candlenuts (50g)
5cm length (30g) fresh galangal – roughly chopped
3cm length (15g) fresh turmeric – roughly chopped
8 shallots (150g), halved
4 fresh red chillies (60g) – deseeded
4 dried red chillies (4g) – soaked and deseeded
1.5 tbsp tamarind paste
1.5 tbsp brown sugar
|500g raw king prawns (approx. 20 prawns) – heads on, shells removed & deveined|
4 tbsp vegetable oil
Large pinch of salt (to taste)
1 – 2 tbsp light brown sugar (to taste)
2 – 3 tbsp light soya sauce (to taste)
150ml – 200ml water
|Salted egg yolk prawn||curry leave 4 long, dried chili, 3 pc bird eye chili, 3 clove garlic, 3 salted egg, optional half tsp sugar|
|preserved lemon||scald glass bottle with hot water, leave to dry|
wash 2 lemon, wipe dry, cut to 8 piece each
put 1 Tablespoon coarse SEA salt bottom of bottle, 1 cut lemon, another TBSP coarse salt, 1 cut lemon, 1 TBSP coarse salt
weight of salt = 20% of lemon
put for 2 weeks
|preserved lemon - pan fry chicken (for 2 pax)|
Mix in plastic bag, marinate at least 30 minutes
|200g thigh meat|
1 tsp preserved lemon juice
1 tsp mixed herb (basil/oregano)
Half TBSP olive oil
|deep fried preserved beancurd, namyu fried chicken/pork|
10 chicken wing or 500g three layer pork
2 Tablespoon minced ginger, optional
3 piece preserved beancurd
1 Tablespoon sauce from preserved beancurd
1 Tablespoon ginger juice, optional
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
1 Tablespoon wine
1/2 tsp chicken powder
1/4 tsp salt or half Tablespoon soy sauce
3 Tablespoon tapioca floor
|Flour Coating, optional: 鸡蛋 1个、低筋面粉（当时家里只有低筋面粉）、玉米粉|
|pork rib - Steamed |
1.5 Tablespoon rice wine
Half Tablespoon cornflour
3-4 Tablespoon water
Half Tablespoon sugar
Half teaspoon chicken stock powder
1 - 2 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon thick soy sauce
Half to 1 Tablespoon
|500g pork rib|
Half Tablespoon fermented bean
1 Tablespoon tauchu bean paste
some chopped fresh red chillies
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
1) Oil lightly fry garlic and chillies, add bean paste & tauchu and fry till fragrant.
2) Add pork rib and lightly fry
3) Add seasoning and steam 40-45 minutes
|pork rib - tom yum pan fry||½ k. of cut-up pork ribs (or a combination of pork ribs and pork belly)|
2 lemongrass stalks (white portion only), lightly pounded
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 shallot, halved
2 finger chilies
5 to 6 slices of galangal (substituting ginger will give the soup and different flavor)
1 tomato, thinly sliced
patis (fish sauce), to taste
juice of 3 to 4 limes
|pork rib - BLACK BEANS SPARE RIBS CLAYPOT RICE||1. Soak rice in water for about an hour and drain well.|
2. Marinade spare ribs with minced fermented black beans, minced ginger, minced garlic, some soy sauce, cornstarch, soy sauce and few drops of black soy sauce.
3. Put soaked rice and 240ml water into claypot. Once boiling till the water almost dry up, add in marinated spare ribs and cook under low heat for about 5-7 minutes. Turn off the heat and lei it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Pour in some soy sauce. Sprinkle some spring onions and put in scalded vegetables. Serve hot.
- heat up 3 tbsp oil, add in chopped red onions, shallot and garlic. Fry till fragrant,
- Add in mushrooms, fry until you can smell the mushrooms aroma. Add more oil if needed.
- Add in pork belly, fry until the meat turned white (almost 80% cooked).
- Add in soy sauce, fry until the soy sauce is slightly caramelized.
- Add in the rest of the seasoning. Fry until the dish gives good aroma. Add in water.
- Once water is boiled, reduce to slow and low fire, covered. Let it slowly cook for 30mins.
- After 30mins, add a little more water if necessary. Let it simmer another 15 to 20mins. Set aside for serving later.
|8 - 10 servings:|
80g Red Onions (红葱头) finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced (蒜头), optional
100g Dried Chinese Mushrooms, soaked
500g Pork Belly, skin on (三层肉)
650ml Water (水)
150ml First Draw Soy Sauce (头抽)
1 tsp White Pepper Powder (白胡椒粉)
1/2 tsp Sea Salt (海盐)
1 tsp Five Spice Powder (五香粉)
20g Rock Sugar (冰糖) ... See Note*
1 pc Star Anise (八角)
Garnishing: Boiled eggs, optional
|Braised pork leg||1) Hot water to blanch slight to remove blood of pork leg. Remove all hair|
3) Oil fry garlic and ginger, add a bit of sugar/rock sugar and fry till brownish(soy sauce colour)
4) add pork leg, add 85g soy sauce
5) add enough water to cover pork leg, add 80g rice wine, 1 tsp salt & bunch of spring onion, medium fire for 50-60min
6) Off fire, let pork leg sit in water for 2-3 hours
7) Pour liquid into another pot to simmer till thick
8) mix into pork
|Crispy Roast Pork|
2.8kg pork belly, with skin on (divide to 5 manageable strip if needed)
2tbsp coarse salt for skin (upper)
Dry rub to meat (underside)
2 tsp garlic salt (you may replace with garlic powder or grated garlic and salt)
1 tsp five spice powder
1 tsp ground white pepper
For marinating underside of pork - optional:
5 tsp rice wine
1 tsp ground pepper
5 tsp sugar
1 cube fermented bean cube
5 tsp soy sauce
2 TBSP five spice powder
|1. Try to have a flat and same level of pork belly (for even browning when roasting) by cutting off those extra meat underneath ). Blanch the pork-skin side only in a pot of boiling water for 5mins. 2. Remove and wipe dry with paper towels. 3. Prick the skin all over with a sharp skewer, the more holes you can make the better. 4. Then use a sharp knife to lightly score the skin. 5. Massage the dry rub into the meat and rub the salt on the skin. 6. Marinate underside of pork in a container, wrap underside with foil, leave top uncovered. 8. (Optional: brush skin with white vinegar) Place in the fridge and let it dry out slowly overnight, to 2 days) 9. (Optional: slide 2 long bbq metal through the meat diagonally to prevent it shrinking) Preheat the oven to 200C. Place the pork, skin side up, on a wire rack in the oven, and place a tray underneath to catch the drippings. 10. Roast for 25mins and then switch the oven from bake to grill function (upper heat only), increasing the temperature to 230C (some say 250C?). Grill until the skin is evenly blistered and browned (around 50mins) 11 (Optional) 20 minutes into grilling, take out and scrap away all the burnt bit, brush with thin layer of oil and continue grilling with top heat OPTIONAL dry rub recipe: 1 tablespoon fennel seed, toasted 2 teaspoons coriander seed, toasted ½ teaspoon tellicherry peppercorns 2 teaspoons sea salt (optional) ¼ teaspoon red chile pepper (optional) Dry fry all except chili, pound into coarse to fine,add oil, rub and marinate|
|Baked chicken - Cambodian style|
Place on greaseproof paper
Sprinkle on 1 Tablespoon black pepper
Bake at 175 Celcius for 45 minutes
|Marinate overnight with blended paste:|
5 pieces chicken thigh, deboned
1 TB fish sauce
2 lime, juiced
3 TB brown sugar
1 tspn salt
Blended paste till smooth paste:
2 stalk lemongrass, sliced only the bottom
3 shallots, skinned
4 cloves garlic, skinned
5 slices ginger
8 bird eye chilies
1/2 TB turmeric powder
|Baked chicken - Grill Green chicken|
blend all except salt in blender, then add salt to taste
marinate chicken in ziplock bag, at least 1 hour to overnight
Grill 25 minutes, turning every 5-7 minute OR Bake 204 Celcius 35-45 minutes
Serve with lime wedge
Pro tip: Make a double batch of the recipe and freeze half of the marinated chicken for a future meal.
|1 medium sweet onion, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)|
1 cup packed cilantro leaves and stems
1 1/4 cups packed basil leaves
1/4 cup packed mint leaves
4 tablespoons fish sauce, like Red Boat
3 peeled garlic cloves
Zest of 1 lime
Plenty ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
2 tablespoons apple juice (or 1 teaspoon maple syrup if you’re not on a Whole30)
3 pounds chicken drumsticks or thighs
|KFC 11 spice mix, mix with 2 cup flour||2/3 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon thyme
1/2 tablespoon basil
1/3 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dried mustard
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons white pepper
|RGB KFC powder||50g white flour
50g corn flour
5g onion powder
5g garlic powder
5g dried oregano
5g dried thyme
5g black pepper
5g cumin powder
5g fennel powder
5g coriander powder
3g chili powder
|Lamb chop with mint sauce|
For the lamb chops:
4 rib lamb chops, up to 3/4-inch thick
- Marinate lamb in 31g of marinade for 30mins to 4 hours
- Cook 5 to 7 minutes per side
- Spoon refrigerated sauce on top
|For the cilantro-mint marinade, food processor blend:|
1 teaspoons minced ginger
5g packed fresh mint leaves-1/8 cup
5g packed fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 tablespoon honey
30g rice wine vinegar
50g canola or other mild vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
|Oven Fried chicken|
75g of butter
78ml of vegetable oil
140g of plain flour (can substitute some flour with coarse cornmeal)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried mixed herbs/rosemary
10 pieces of chicken
|Marinate drumstick with 盐、少许黑胡椒、少许Paprika，主要腌料是Cajun Spices，再加上两瓣蒜米和橄榄油，few hour to overnight|
Preheat oven to 190C. In baking sheet, put the oil and butter to melt the butter
Place all of the dry ingredients into a plastic bag
Remove pan from oven, Roll chicken in melted butter, then shake them in bag to coat.
Set them on a piece of wax paper until you have them all coated, and ensure back to room temperature.
Place them presentation side down in the melted butter/oil in the pan
Bake in the heated oven for 45 minutes
Flip the chicken over and bake for a further 15 minutes
|chicken wing baked|
180 Celcius 35-40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes
|- 10 chicken wings, separate mid-wings and drummets and discard tips|
Marinade, min 2 hours to overnight
- 2 tbsp chopped lemongrass
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp curry powder
|Dry brine for moist roast chicken for 1.5kg|
1 tablespoons Morton's kosher salt with 1 teaspoon of baking powder in a bowl
|pat your chicken dry with paper towels|
Generously sprinkle it on all surfaces with the salt mixture by picking up the mixture between your thumb and fingers
shower down over the surface of the chicken for even coverage
refrigerate uncovered for 12 to 24 hours.
Without rinsing, roast using one of our recipes, omitting any additional salting steps called for in those recipes.
Dry-brining for more than 24 hours will produce even more juicy and well-seasoned meat. To brine longer than 24 hours, loosely cover chicken with plastic wrap or cheesecloth before refrigerating to prevent excess moisture loss through evaporation.
|Feta brine for chicken|
60g feta blended smooth with 500g water
|refrigerate at least eight hours or overnight|
Remove the chicken from the brine, pat it dry with paper towels, and let it rest for about 30 minutes until it comes to room temperature.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Grill the chicken over medium heat or place the pieces on a rimmed baking sheet and bake them at 400°F for 20 to 30 minutes.
If cooking a whole bird, roast it in an oven-proof skillet at 450°F for 50 minutes.
1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 yellow onion, cut into large pieces
2 carrots, cut into 1" pieces
2 lemons, sliced
1/2 c olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 T fresh rosemary
1 T fresh thyme
1 t crushed red pepper
salt & pepper, to taste
(optional) cut potato
|Lightly oil an oven-safe baking dish and pre-heat the oven to 204 Celcius.|
Toss the carrots and onions with 2 T olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then add to the bottom of the dutch oven.
Coat the chicken with the remaining olive oil, garlic, herbs, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
Lay the pieces of chicken, skin side up, on the bed of carrots and onions.
Top with slices of lemon.
Bake until chicken is cooked through and crispy (about 45 minutes-1 hour).
Optional: Squeeze extra lemon over chicken before serving.
|Roast chicken||Mix butter with herb<rosemary/thyme>, garlic, black pepper, <salt, if not dry-brined>, rub the mixture between skin and the flesh|
Rub some salt inside the chicken
Stuff cavity with 1 lemon, 1 onion, 1.5 garlic, black pepper<optional: herb>
Truss the chicken
Roast at 200C for 1 hour on top of a rack for crispy skin, turning it half way
Serve with mash potato <700g>
|gravy/pan sauce||Heat the drippings and fat from the turkey over medium heat |
Add half of the hot broth, scraping up brown bits
Transfer all liquid to measuring cup, chill overnight Next day
heat the fat, add butter/oil as needed, whisk in flour-1 or 2 Tablespoon to form thin paste, cook the flour and few minutes till brownish.
add rest of the liquid Season, salt, pepper, herb, <optional: 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce>
|Hot green tea latte||::2 tsp matcha, mix with 2 Tablespoon cold water as matcha will clump in hot water|
::2 cups of milk heated with 1 tsp brown sugar
- Pour the rice into a non-stick pot and add in the water, santan, ginger and pandan leaves. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the fire and let the rice fully absorb the liquid. This will take about 15-20min.
- Transfer the semi cooked rice into a rice cooker with a steamer on top. Fill the bottom cooker with sufficient water and steam the rice until fragrant and fully cooked.
|2 cups of basmati rice, rinsed|
1 cup of water
1 cup of santan (I use prepack ayam brand santan - it is creamy and flavourful)
3 pieces of pandan leaves, rinsed and each tied into a knot
2 slice ginger (optional)
1 tsp of salt
|Ginger Sauce - Minced ginger for steam fish||use some oil to fry below till boil, can keep 1 month bottled:|
1. 嫩姜200g切小块，加入100ml水打烂成泥2. 蒜茸五瓣，和姜一块打烂成泥3. 油100ml4. 鸡粉1茶匙5. 盐1茶匙6. 麻油少许, 1 Tbsp Shaoxing Wine
(optional), 1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
4 Stalk of Scallions. cut into 2 inches
Some Chopped Coriander
|Ginger Sauce - Ginger Condiments|
Use pestle mortar:
400gm palm size old ginger, white part of spring onion
4 or 5 garlic cloves, about 50gm
then add 4 shallot, about 100gm
|fry with 110gm oil and 2 tablespoon sesame oil|
fry till ginger juice evaporated
add spring onion and cilantro, then quickly off fire
add soy sauce
keep one month, fry chicken, fish slice, steam chicken etc
|Ginger Sauce - Spring Onion Ginger Dip for Hainan Chicken rice|
1) Blitz ginger into paste in a food processor.
2) Heat the canola oil and sesame oil in a small frying pan.
3) When the oil is hot enough (at it's smoking point), add in ginger paste. Fry well for 2 to 3mins.
4) Add in spring onion, salt, sugar, chicken powder. Give it a quick stir. Heat off. Set aside and leave to infuse.
|100g Old Ginger|
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
25g Spring Onions (or more)
½ tsp Salt, or more to taste
½ tsp Sugar, or more to taste
¼ tsp Chicken Powder (Optional - I didn't use)
4 eggs at room temperature use older eggs, 55g each
water enough to cover eggs in a small pot
1 tbsp vinegar
1/2 stalk Japanese scallion (negi) cut to shorter lengths to fit the pot
3 slices ginger
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 tbsp light soy sauce
50 ml mirin
150 ml water
|1) In a small pot, add water and vinegar. Bring to a boil.|
2) Gently lower eggs into boiling water using a ladle, all at once. Boil for 5 minute 30 seconds (55 grams egg). Swirl the water with a spoon during the first minute of cooking.
3) When the cooking time is up, take out the eggs using a ladle and immediately add them into a bowl of ice water bath for 5 minutes. Peel the eggs.
4) In another small pot, add marinate and bring to a simmer for 1 minute. When it has cooled, filter the sauce into a plastic or ziplock bag, add the peeled eggs and tie the bag. Marinade the bag of eggs for at least four hours or overnight in the fridge, occasionally moving the eggs around so that they are evenly coated in the sauce, can keep 3-4 days.
1) Coat the duck egg in the cooking wine, roll it in the sea salt until it’s completely covered.
2) Place the egg in a plastic or zip lock bag.
3) Zip the bag, place it in a cool, dark place for 3 to 4 weeks.
|12 Duck Eggs|
1/3 Cup Chinese Cooking Wine
¾ Cup Fine Sea Salt
|salted egg 2|
材料: 盐1杯, 水4杯, 鸡蛋12个, 八角1个, 花椒2小匙, 绍兴酒20g
|1. 把水, 八角, 花椒, 盐放在一个锅里煮滚, 熄火摊凉, 加入绍兴酒备用。|
2. 把一个能够装满全部鸡蛋的容器洗净擦干, 把鸡蛋一个个叠好, 倒入涼透后的2, 静置30-40 days即可。在准备要腌的鸡蛋上加个小容器(我用的是一个小茶杯)来防止鸡蛋浮起
|Easy poach egg||Fill a pan with water enough to cover an egg|
Boil to rolling boiling
crack egg into bowl, slowly drop the egg from oil
Off fire, take pan off heat, and leave from 4 minutes
|Perfect soft boil egg|
2 eggs from fridge
|1. Remove 2 eggs from fridge and put aside. Measure 450ml of water and place into a 18cm saucepan and bring to the boil.|
2. Once water is boiling, turn off the heat and place eggs into the water. You can use a spoon to lower the eggs gently into the water, one at a time. Place the lid on.
3. Using a cloth/dishtowel (which has been folded several times like in photo), tilt the pan slightly (ie place the cloth under the saucepan so it tilts slightly) so that the egg is submerged 75% in the water.
4. Start your stopwatch or set the timer for 12 minutes. Leave eggs to sit in water for 12 minutes, then remove and serve with condiments of your liking. Perfect eggs everytime!
|onsen soft egg||1。把500ml 的水倒入锅内煮滚。|
2。把1离火, 放入蛋, 加入100ml 的水。
|Perfect scramble egg|
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk (1/2 tablespoon for each egg)
1 3/4 teaspoons potato starch or cornstarch (1/2 + 1/8 teaspoon for each egg)
Salt to season
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 tablespoon for each egg)
|First, crack 3 eggs into a medium bowl. |
Then, in a separate cup or bowl, evenly whisk together the milk and cornstarch until it's lump-free
Add the milk and cornstarch mixture to your eggs, and beat until smooth. Season with salt.
Heat a non-stick skillet over high heat until hot, then add the butter (should sizzle right away). Wait until the butter’s melted and bubbly, but before it browns…
Add the beaten eggs. Wait for 3 seconds without stirring anything, until the edges of the eggs start to bubble up…
Then remove the skillet from the heat and start stirring the eggs, making 1 full circle per second… 1, 2, 3…. 4, 5, 6, 7…8, 9, 10, 11…(If you use a mini skillet instead of a large one, it may need a few more seconds)... For about 11 to 12 seconds. The eggs will have absorbed all the butter, but remain partially undercooked (add about 5 seconds more to every 3 extra eggs you’re scrambling, but I wouldn’t do more than 6 at once).
|Pesto||1) Blanch 3 cups fresh basil for 5 seconds, then put into cold water, squeeze DRY|
2) in MortarPestle, pound 3/4 tsp coarse salt & 1/4 cup TOASTED pine nut
3) Pound 2 cloves garlic
4) Add basil little by little
5) Mix with 6-8 tablespoon olive oil
6) 1/2 cup parmagiano regiano
7）Keep pesto with a layer of olive oil on top
|Mushroom powder , natural MSG||electric spice grinder to grind mushroom stalk, a small amount goes a long way|
|One pot dish:|
|Aglio Olio||4 tbsp olive oil|
4 cloves garlic
3 piece dried red-pepper
1/2 pound mushroom
3/4 tsp salt
300g of spaghetti
1/4 tsp fresh coarsely ground black pepper
Optional: prawn, white mushroom, turkey ham/bacon, parmesan
|Ham and Tomato Spaghetti, add CHICKPEA||sauted one clove garlic, boil with 2 can whole tomatoes, add 2 piece ham, add half cooked spaghetti (200g), black pepper|
|Chickpea tip||cook, freeze chickepea in one layer, put into freezer bag|
|Tomato Water Spaghetti|
4 ripe tomatoes, large dice
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
340g spaghetti or any pasta you like
10 cloves of garlic
1 cup basil, cut into ribbons
85g butter, cut into three chunks
Olive oil, as needed
|- Season the tomatoes with the salt and toss them well. |
- Put a big pot of water on to boil.
- Smash the garlic with the flat side of a knife, give it all a few rough chops with the knife and set them a side in a small bowl.
- Take a pinch of basil ribbon, chop it finely, and add it to the tomatoes to season the water.
- Cook your pasta, drain it, and oil the pasta to keep it from sticking to itself.
- Heat a teaspoon or two of olive oil, add the garlic and cook it till it is just beginning to brown around the edges and soften, a couple minutes.
- Pour the tomatoes into a strainer or colander over the garlic so that the tomato water will stream into the pan below. Set the strainer with the tomatoes into the bowl so they don’t drip on the counter, and swirl the sauce to bring it to a simmer. Add the butter while continuing to swirl or stir the sauce. Keep the sauce moving until all the butter is melted. Add the pasta and toss to coat the pasta evenly. Divide the pasta among four bowls and top with the tomatoes and basil.
|Spicy tomato sauce||1/4 cup olive oil|
1 medium (or a few small) Spanish onion(s), chopped to yield 2 1/2 cups
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (If you are sensitive to heat, just use a pinch and adjust at the end. The 1/2 teaspoon makes for a seriously spicy sauce.)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano (optional — I didn’t use. I love dried oregano, but I don’t always love it in tomato sauce.)
1 cup vodka
2 (28-ounce) cans peeled plum tomatoes
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 pound penne pasta or whatever shape you like
4 tablespoons fresh oregano (I used basil)
1/4 to 1 cup heavy cream
grated Parmigiano or Pecorino
|Spicy sausage penne, serves 2|
113g regular or whole wheat penne
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
22g smoked pork sausage, such as Andouille, sliced into coins
340g frozen or fresh vegetables
1 heaping teaspoon whole ground or Creole mustard
80g heavy cream, or more to taste
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
|Bring a pot of heavily salted water to a boil and cook the penne until al dente. |
Scoop out 1/4 cup of cooking water and then drain the noodles.
Return the noodles to the pot and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the sausage and cook until some fat begins to render and the sausage begins to turn golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to the pot of noodles. Give the the fat in the skillet in a minute or so to get smoking hot again, then add the vegetable mix and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Sauté the vegetables until tender.
Pour the noodles and sausage into the hot skillet with the vegetables, followed by the mustard and heavy cream. Bring the liquid to a boil and cook until the cream has thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings.
For leftovers, stir in the reserved cooking water and reheat in a skillet or microwave until warmed through.
|Spaghetti with fantasy sauce - Food52|
Cook bacon till brown
add chopped leek, onion, spinach, butter, salt, pepper
Cook until vege soften
Add white wine, cook till wine reduced to half
Add cream, simmer for 10 minutes
Add pasta, serve topped with parmesan
|283 spaghetti, cooked, drained
3 strips bacon
3 leeks, more of less up to personal preference
Half yellow onion
1 handful baby spinach/bayam, add MORE as it will cook down
2 tablespoon butter
salt and black pepper
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup cream/full cream milk
|Vegan Bolognese||- Olive oil to saute 1 onion and 4 cloves garlic|
- add 110g tempe and around 150g chopped oyster mushroom
- optional, add quarter cup red wine, optional 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- add chopped 1 each of carrot, zuchini, eggplant, cook till vege soften
- add 1 tablespoon each fresh basil and parsley
- add 340g tomato sauce/puree
- add 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano and rosemary
- add quarter teaspoon red chili
- Cook 5 minutes, add water if too thick
|Easy Tomato Sauce||Serve 3, for 227 to 340gram pasta|
454 fresh tomato or 250g canned tomato
2.5 TBSP butter
1 small onion, cut to half
Salt to taste
Cook uncovered for 30 - 45 minutes
|Better tasting tomato sauce||1. Stir in a little butter.|
2. Try anchovies.
1 to 2 fillets
|Spaghetti (Chinese style) for 2 pax|
2 piece fresh erringhi mushroom
1 packet small Japanese mushroom
4 Tablespoon Chinese preserved tofu
Cut seaweed into long strip
Cut erringhi into long strip
Olive oil + garlic
Then all mushroom
Add preserved tofu
Add cooked spaghetti and some pasta water
Off fire,mix with seaweed
|Big breakfast||egg, toast, sausage|
|Fish paste, filling for yong tau fu||450g, 1.5 tsp salt, 1tsp pepper|
|Hainan Chicken rice - chicken|
1 Kampong Chicken estimated 1kg
5 thick slice Old Ginger, about 35g
2 cloves Garlic, bruised
1 sprig Spring Onion, tied into a knot
2300ml Water (or more)
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
|1) Stuff old ginger, garlic, spring onions into the cavity of the chicken. |
2) Bring water to a boil. Once water is boiled, soak the chicken body into the boiling water. With your hand still holding the chicken head, lift the chicken up, and soak it into the boiling water again. Do this for 4 times so that water will go into the chicken cavity completely.
3) Once you see the water is boiling again, turn to very low heat for 5 mins, and then heat off. Let the chicken sit inside the hot water untouched and covered for 30mins. If your chicken is big, you might need another 5 mins or so.
4) Once chicken is completely cooled, drain. Apply 1 tbsp Sesame Oil on the chicken skin. Set aside.
|Hainan Chicken rice - Rice|
1) Wash and soak rice for 1.5 hour, drain.
2) Heat shallot oil
3) Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass. Fry till fragrant and golden brown. Remove from the oil.
4) Add one knot of pandan leaf. Fry till fragrant. Remove from the oil.
5) Turn off the heat, combine all with rice
6) Put into rice cooker, add chicken stock & salt, put the other knot of pandan leaf
|475g Jasmine Rice (95%)|
25g Glutinous Rice (5%) (Trade secret)
500ml Chicken Stock
1 tsp Salt
8 tbsp shallot oil
4 cloves Garlic, bruised
2 thumb sized Old Ginger, sliced
1 stalk Lemon Grass, lightly bruised
4 strands of Pandan Leaf (Screwpine Leaf), tied into 2 knots
|Hainan Chicken rice - Chili|
Combine all chillies, ginger, garlic, sugar, salt in a food processor and blitz away.
Add in calamansi juice and 1 to 2 tbsp chicken stock to dilute it.
Add in DelMonte Ketchup. Stir well. Set aside.
|3 Red Chilli|
2 Bird Eye Chilli / Cili Padi
1 thumb sized Young Ginger
3 cloves Garlic
½ tsp Salt, or more to taste
½ tsp Sugar, or more to taste
Juice from 3 to 4 Small Calamansi
1 to 2 tbsp Chicken stock to dilute it
1 tsp DelMonte Ketchup (Optional) (Trade secret)
|yam rice (serve 4 - 5)|
1 1/2 cup (375ml) brown rice* or any white rice
200g chicken thighs, skinless, boneless
1/2 tsp five spice powder
4 dried shiitake mushroom
30g dried shrimp
1 garlic clove
200g yam, weight is after peeled, washed and cubed
2 1/2 tbsp of cooking oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt or more or less to taste and can be optional
3 cup water (750ml) if you are using brown rice or 1 1/2 (375ml) cup water if you are using white rice
|Marinate the cubed chicken or pork with five spice powder.|
Soak dried mushrooms, dried shrimp in hot water for about 5-10 mins until soft. slice the mushrooms
Peel garlic and shallot and finely chop them.
cut yam into 2 cm cubes
Heat 1 tbsp oil, sauté the yam until lightly browned. Remove from the frying pan and transfer into the washed rice.
Add another 1 tbsp oil into the same heated hot pan (you don't have to wash the pan) and fry the garlic and shallots until golden and fragrant, then add mushroom, cook with high heat until all are fragrant. Remove from the frying pan and transfer into the washed rice.
Add another 1/2 tbsp oil fry chicken until nicely browned. Remove from the frying pan and transfer into the washed rice.
Add sugar, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, ground white pepper, fish sauce and salt (optional) into the washed rice.
Serve the yam rice while it is hot with spring onions, chilies, fried shallots and coriander.
spring onions, the green part, finely sliced
chilies, finely sliced
crispy fried shallots
|Fish paste noodle||anchovies soup + thick rice noodle + fish paste + white pepper + fishball + beansprout + spring onion|
|Kuey Tiaw Soup||beansprout, chicken, fried scramble egg|
|"Mun" Yee Mee|
fry garlic in oil, add water till bowl
add all rest ingredient, "mun" for 10 minutes
then fry till yee mee is soft, add thickener
|3 piece yee mee|
prawn/chicken, marinate in tapioca starch, sugar, soy for at least 1 hour
1 tsp garlic minced
2 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoon soy sauce
thick soy for color
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tablespoon shau xin wine
thickener: cornstarch + water
optional: white pepper
|Char Kuey Teow|
1. Heat oil, sauté garlic until fragrant.
2. Add in prawns, followed by noodles. Do not stir noodles, add in sauce ingredients and chilli paste. Then lightly stir to mix well [best to use chopstick or edge of wok ladle].
3. Push noodles aside, break in the eggs. Cover with noodles and add beansprouts. Give it a good stir to mix over high heat and until noodles are firm [slightly charred if you like] and fragrant.
4. Lastly add in sausages and chives.
|[mix and bring to boil, set aside] - boiling is optional|
3 tsp premium oyster sauce
2-3 tbsp fish sauce
3 tsp dark soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ tsp sugar to taste
3 tsp water
450-600 gm fresh flat rice noodles [koay teow] – loosened
6-9 medium or big prawns – shelled
150 gm beansprouts
A bunch of chives – cut into 3 cm lengths
1 Chinese sausage – thinly sliced
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1-2 tbsp chilli paste [according to own taste]
3 eggs [I used duck eggs]
3 tbsp oil
|Overnight oat||Instant Oat 1/2 cup; Milk 125g, 1 tsp condensed milk, 2 tsp raisins|
mix all together
top with 2 tablespoon almond flakes next day
|French toast||3 egg yolks for every one-and-a-half cups milk|
1 tablespoon of sugar
pinch of salt
soak 15 seconds on each side
fry with butter
1 can (400g) of chickpeas (reserve the liquid)
4 teaspoons of toasted white sesame seeds
1 garlic clove
Juice of 1 freshly squeezed lemon
½ teaspoon of sea salt
½ teaspoon of paprika
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
|Pour the chickpeas from the can and reserve its liquid separately. Add the chickpeas, sesame seeds, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, paprika, and 3-4 tablespoons of the reserved liquid into a food processor.|
Put the food processor on pulse mode until the chunks of chickpeas and garlic have broken up before switching it to a faster mode. During the combining process, add the olive oil in a steady, slow pour.