Business-Finance Policies & Procedures
The version of the browser you are using is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser.Dismiss

View only
Facility ServicesVehicles: Use of University’s 41 Passenger BusDepartments and individuals may use the university bus for official travel. Facility Services will provide a licensed CDL driver. The cost of bus & driver will be charged to the departmental budget. Overnight trips will require lodging and meal expenses to be provided for the driver. Facility Services will schedule the vehicle and driver and obtain Department Head approval. The User will be notified when travel arrangements have been made.Facility Services: 912.344.2545
Facility ServicesRequest for Routine MaintenanceWork orders are used to request routine and non-emergency maintenance. Work order costs are charged to Facility Services. Campus faculty and staff should submit a work order request by logging on to the <a href="">Maintenance Request Page</a>. Facility Services will review the request and assign the work to be done. A work order number will be issued to the campus user, and the user will be notified of the status of the request.Facility Services: 912.344.2545
Facility ServicesRequest for Special ProjectsSpecial Projects are scheduled using either Facility Services staff or private contractors. They do not take priority over routine work orders. The expense may be charged to the requesting department, pending request review by the VP for Business & Finance. The employee should submit a <a href="">Facilities Modification Request Form (PDF)</a> describing the scope of work, a project drawing, and note if the project involves new construction or remodeling. Facility Services will review the project request and prepare a cost estimate. Once the funding source is identified and approved the work will be scheduled.Facility Services: 912.344.2545
Facility ServicesCustodial Requests & Custodial Emergency ServicesGeneral custodial requests for service, including emergency custodial needs, should be reported during regular office hours (M-F, 8am – 5pm) to the Custodial Contractor Office. This office will receive complaints and requests for situations that need routine maintenance and also those that need immediate attention. The Custodial Contractor Office will advise the employee when/what action will be taken in response to the request.Custodial Office: 912.344.3397. After hours: Emergencies: University Police: 912.344.3333
Facility ServicesEmergency RepairEmergency repairs (any temporary repairs needed to correct a facilities related problem that threatens life, limb or property) should be reported to Facility Services (M-F 7:30am – 4:30 pm) or the University Police (after Facility Services office hours) giving details as to the nature and location of the emergency. Facility Services will dispatch the proper trades person to make the needed repairs to alleviate the emergency. After hours, the University Police will notify Facility Services personnel (utilizing a call list) and will secure the site until maintenance personnel arrive.Facility Services: 912.344.2545. University Police: 912.344.3333
Facility ServicesSchedule a Campus Property MoveIndividuals who require a furniture move, or a sealed box move should contact Facility Services for scheduling. Facility Services will coordinate the date of relocation based on the needed project completion date.Facility Services: 912.344.2524
Facility ServicesWaste DisposalDisposal of bio-hazardous waste (materials representing a significant risk of infections) requires special handling to abide with federal, state and local regulations. Departments generating bio hazardous waste on a regular basis shall place the waste into a designated container. Personal protective equipment should always be used for handling. The waste containers are located across campus (please contact Facility Services for a list of these locations).The container should be closed/sealed. Facility Services will have the waste transported.Facility Services: 912.344.2545. University Police: 912.344.3333
Human ResourcesAttendanceAll employees are advised of their work hours when they accept employment at the university. For the university to maintain a smooth and consistent operation, employees must be conscientious in all areas of their work. For this reason, each employee must report to work at the designated time and remain on duty in accordance with the schedule. Employees or their representatives must notify their supervisor when, in the event of an emergency, they are unable to report to work. Prompt notification is essential. Excessive absenteeism or tardiness or failure to report the reason for absenteeism affects promotions and can result in termination of employment. All full-time employees are required to report to work at 8:15 a.m. and work until 5 p.m., with 45 minutes designated for lunch; with the exception of University Police Officers, Computer & Information Technicians, and Facility Services employees, who may be required to work shifts, nights, or weekends.Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesBusiness Casual AttireStaff employees who work in office environments should normally dress in regular business attire. At the discretion of each office’s supervisor, employees may dress in business casual attire on Fridays and throughout the period between spring graduation and the first day of fall classes. Business casual attire, which is intended to present a professional casual appearance, may include such items as: khaki, chino, or linen slacks and skirts, capri pants, dresses, blouses with sleeves, golf shirts, button down collar shirts, sweaters, loafers, deck shoes, open-toed shoes, dress sandals, and business casual attire that displays the Armstrong logo (preferred for business casual). The following items are not acceptable: denim clothing, including jeans, overalls, and all other items made of denim; workout or exercise clothing, including sweatpants, sweatshirts, windsuits, jogging shorts, t-shirts with or without sleeves, tank tops, halter tops, tube tops, flip-flops, slippers, athletic shoes or sneakers (except when worn briefly to walk across campus); shorts, skorts, miniskirts, minidresses, strapless sundresses or spaghetti strap dresses (unless shoulders are covered with a jacket or overshirt), midriff exposed, and any clothing with rips, holes, stains, or frayed edges. Because the need to present an appropriate professional appearance is important throughout the year, regular business attire will be required at the discretion of supervisors and administrators, even during the summer or on Fridays.Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesChildren in the WorkplaceAs a place of employment, Armstrong State University is an inappropriate environment for children. Because of the possible disruption of business and for liability reasons, employees are not permitted to have children and infants at the workplace during normal working hours. While the University encourages the families of faculty and staff to take advantage of opportunities on the campus, it is emphasized that University employees should not allow family members to visit them on a regular or prolonged basis while in the workplace. It is expected that University personnel will make the necessary arrangements for childcare.Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesCourt DutyCourt duty leave with pay is granted to regular employees for the purpose of serving on a jury or as a witness. Such leave is granted upon presentation of official documentation from the appropriate court. A subpoena from the appropriate court qualifies as documentation for serving as a witness. A receipt from the appropriate court stating the number of days served qualifies as documentation for serving on a jury. Employees may retain juror or witness fees paid by the court. An employee appearing in court related to a personal matter will not be granted leave with pay but may take vacation time, if available. An employee serving as an expert witness must take vacation time.Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesResponse to the Death of an Employee, Retiree or their Immediate FamilyDeath of Employee or Retiree: As University personnel are made aware of the death of an employee or retiree, the following steps should be taken:
*The department head/supervisor whose department has suffered the loss should immediately notify their dean/supervisor, who will then notify their respective vice-president and the Director of Human Resources.
*The vice-president will then be responsible for notifying the president.
*The department head/supervisor whose department has suffered the loss will be responsible for notifying their department.
*The Human Resources department will assist the president's office in locating the obituary.
*The president's office will send official notification to the campus community immediately following the publication of the obituary. The information provided in the obituary will be used to complete the email template.
*The president's office will send a letter to the family expressing the University's condolences and informing them of the placement of a book in the Lane Library in memory of the deceased.
*The president's office will forward notification to the university librarian.
Death of Employee's Immediate Family Member: As a department head/supervisor is made aware of the death of an employee's immediate family member, the following steps should be taken:
*The department head/supervisor whose department has suffered the loss should immediately notify their dean/supervisor, who will then notify their respective vice-president and the director of Human Resources.
*The vice-President will then be responsible for notifying the president.
*The department head/supervisor whose department has suffered the loss will be responsible for notifying their department.
*The Human Resources department will assist the president's office in locating the obituary.
*The president's office will send a letter to the family expressing the University's condolences and infoming them of the placement of a book in the Lane Library in memory of the deceased.
*The president's office will forward notification to the university librarian. Immediate family is defined as mother; father, brother, sister, spouse, son, daughter, inlawsof any of the forgoing, and grandparents of the employee.
Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesEducational Leave Without PayThe university may grant educational leave without pay to regular employees for periods not to exceed one year at a time for the purpose of encouraging professional development. Such approved leave shall allow the employee the right to continue group insurance benefits with the institution continuing its share of the cost. Annual and sick leave do not accrue while on any leave without pay.Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesEmployment of RelativesThe basic criteria for the appointment and promotion of employees in the University System shall be appropriate qualifications and performance as set forth in the policies of the Board of Regents. Relationship by family or marriage shall constitute neither an advantage nor a disadvantage. No individual shall be employed in a department or unit with the result being the existence of a subordinate-superior relationship between such individual and any relative of such individual through any line of authority. As used herein, "line of authority" shall mean authority extending vertically through one or more organizational levels of supervision or management. This standard does not apply to the temporary or part-time employment of children under age 25, nor to any individual employed as of February 14, 1990, at any institution where a relative of such individual then held a superior position at least one level of supervision removed from such individual in any line of authority. Exceptions may be approved by the Board of Regents upon recommendation of the Chancellor as being clearly in the best interest of the institution and the University System. No individual shall be employed in a department or unit under the supervision of a relative who has or may have direct effect on the individual's progress, performance, salary or welfare. For the purpose of this policy, relatives are defined as husbands and wives, parents and children, brothers, sisters, and any in-laws of any of the foregoing.

Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesEqual Opportunity and Affirmative ActionArmstrong State University is an equal employment opportunity / affirmative action institution. In accordance with the policy of the Board of Regents, the university stipulates that there shall be no discrimination based upon race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, age, or handicap of employees in their appointment, promotion, retention, remuneration, or any other condition of employment. As a government contractor, Armstrong State University is also committed to taking affirmative action to hire and advance minorities and women as well as qualified individuals with disabilities and covered veterans.

We invite employees who are disabled or protected veterans and who wish to be included under our Affirmative Action Program to self-identify as such with the EEO Coordinator. This self-identification is strictly voluntary and confidential and will not result in retaliation of any sort. Employees of and applicants to Armstrong State University will not be subject to harassment, intimidation, threats, coercion, or discrimination because they have engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisting in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights related to any Federal, State, or local law regarding EEO for qualified individuals with disabilities or qualified protected veterans.

The President of Armstrong State University is committed to the principles of Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity. In order to ensure dissemination and implementation of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action throughout all levels of the company, the President has selected Rebecca N. Carroll as the EEO Coordinator for Armstrong State University. One of the EEO Coordinator's duties will be to establish and maintain an internal audit and reporting system to allow for effective measurement of the company's programs.

In furtherance of Armstrong State University's policy regarding Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity, Armstrong State University has developed a written Affirmative Action Program which sets forth the policies, practices and procedures which the company is committed to applying in order to ensure that its policy of non-discrimination and affirmative action for qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified protected veterans is accomplished. This Affirmative Action Program for qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified protected veterans is available for inspection by any employee or applicant for employment upon request, between 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM at the Human Resources department. Any questions should be directed to the President, the employee's supervisor, or Rebecca N. Carroll, EEO Coordinator.

Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesFair Labor Standards ActAll non-exempt staff employees are covered by the provisions of this act which, in part, establishes a minimum hourly wage and requires the payment of overtime for work suffered in excess of 40 hours per week at a rate not less than one and one-half times the employee's regular hourly rate of pay. Overtime will not be paid until the employee has physically worked 40 hours in one week, not including holiday, vacation, or sick leave. For the purposes of calculating a 40-hour work week, the week begins at 12:01 A.M. Saturday and ends at midnight the following Friday. Should any employee be required to work beyond the normal 8-hour day, the direct supervisor may make provisions for comparable time off to compensate for the overtime within that 40-hour work week. If that is not possible, then such overtime will be recorded on the time records and paid as overtime in accordance with FLSA provisions. Compensatory time is not allowed. This act also provides that employees of one sex must not be paid wages at rates lower than those paid employees of the other sex for equal work on jobs requiring equal skill, effort, and responsibility which are performed under similar working conditions.

Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesFamily Medical Leave ActAny employee (including part-time and temporary) of the University System of Georgia, who has been employed by the University System of Georgia for at least twelve months total (not necessarily the last twelve months), and worked at least 1,250 hours udring the 12-month period immediately preceding the leave is eligible to be granted family leave for conditions authorized by the Family and Medical Leave Act. Armstrong State University requires accrued paid leave to be utilized for FMLA leave. Employees may request Family Leave for the following reasons: The employee's own serious health condition, including an on-the-job injury or occupational disease covered by Worker's Compensation, which causes the employee to be unable to perform the functions of his or her job, the care of an immediate family member with a serious health condition, the birth and care of a newborn child, the legal placement of a child with the employee for adoption or foster care, a spouse, son, daughter or parent being on active duty or having been notified of an impending call or order to active duty in the Armed Forces. Leave may be used for any "qualifying exigency" arising out of the service member's current tour of active duty or because the service member is notified of an impending call to duty in support of a contingency operation.

NDAA: Consistent with the provisions of the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993 and the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2008, an eligible employee may be entitled to up to twenty-six (26) work weeks of leave during any twelve (12) month period per service member and per injury or illness, for the following reason: a spouse, son, daughter, parent, or nearest blood relative caring for a recovering service member. A recovering service member is defined as a member of the Armed Forces who suffered an injury or illness while on
active-duty that may render the person unable to perform the duties of the member's office, grade, rank or rating. Any family and medical leave, whether paid, unpaid, or a combination thereof, will be counted towards the twelve week leave entitlement. General Guidelines: The University System of Georgia uses a "rolling" 12-month period (rather than a fixed calendar, fiscal, or academic year) to determine eligibility for, and availability of, leave time under FMLA. The 12-month period during which twelve weeks of family leave may be taken
shall begin on the first day such family leave is taken. For example, if family leave begins August 1, 2002, the 12-month period is from August 1, 2002 until July 30, 2003. An employee generally has a right to return to the same position, or an equivalent position in terms of pay, benefits, and working conditions. Certain "key employees" may be denied job restoration if they are among the highest-paid 10% of employees and if such denial is necessary to prevent substantial and grievous economic injury to the operations of the employer. Births and Adoptions under FMLA: Itermittent leave or a reduced work schedule may be granted for well-child care after the birth, adoption, or placement of a child at the discretion of the institution; Spouses employed by the University System of Georgia are jointly entitled to a combined total of twelve work weeks of family leave for the birth and care of a newborn child, for the placement of a child for adoption or foster care, or for the care of a parent who has a serious health condition; Entitlement to this feature of FMLA leave expires at the end of the 12-month period that began on the date of the birth or placement. Any such FMLA leave must be concluded within this one-year period.
Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesMilitary LeaveMilitary Leave With Pay - Ordered Military Duty: Ordered military duty shall mean any military duty performed in the service of the state or the United States, including but not limited to service schools conducted by the armed forces of the United States. Such duty, performed for a period or periods not exceeding a total of 30 days in any one calendar year, shall be deemed ordered military duty regardless of whether the orders are issued with the consent of the employee. Leave of Absence: An employee who receives orders for active military duty shall be entitled to absent himself or herself from duties and shall be deemed to have a leave of absence with pay for the period of such ordered military duty, and while going to and returning from such duty, not to exceed a total of 18 work days in any one calendar year and not exceeding 18 work days in any one continuous period of absence (as authorized by Georgia Law O.C.G.A. 382-279[e]). At the expiration of the maximum paid leave time, continued absence by the employee shall be considered as military leave without pay. The employee shall be required to submit a copy of orders to active duty. Emergency Leave of Absence: Notwithstanding the foregoing leave limitation of 18 days, in the event the governor declares an emergency and orders an employee to state active duty as a member of the National Guard, such employee while performing such duty shall be paid his or her salary or other compensation as an employee for a period not exceeding 30 days in any one calendar year and not exceeding 30 days in any one continuous period of such state active duty service. Payment of Annual Leave: After an employee has exhausted his or her paid military leave, an institution may pay the employee for his or her accumulated vacation leave. Military Leave Without Pay: Periods of absence for military duty in the service of the state or the United States of America for 30 days or more, but not exceeding six calendar months, shall be treated as leave without pay. No employee shall be entitled to absent himself or herself in excess of a total of six months during any four-year period, except in the case of declared emergency. Military leave without pay shall be granted when a regular employee voluntarily enlists, or is ordered to active service with any branch of the armed forces of the United States for the initial period of such service. Upon completion of active service, such employees shall be restored to their former position upon request, or, at the discretion of the university, to one of similar status with all privileges of accumulated seniority, salary increase, etc., provided: discharge is under conditions other than dishonorable and reinstatement is requested within 90 days after discharge or separation from active duty. If as a result of military service, employees are not physically or mentally qualified to perform the duties of their former position or one of like status, the university shall offer employment in a position at a level which their physical or mental condition will permit them to perform at the established rate of compensation for that position.
Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesProvisional/Probationary PeriodEach new classified employee is required to serve the first six months of employment at Armstrong State University in a provisional status. During this time, the new employee has the first opportunity to evaluate the university as a place to work. Likewise, the supervisor will evaluate the employee's job performance. If the employee's work performance is not satisfactory, the employee will be notified in writing during the six-month provisional period and the employee may be terminated at that time without the right of appeal. In the event of an approved leave of greater than 30 days, an equivalent extension of the provisional period may be granted with the approval of the President or the Director of Human Resources. An extension should be granted only in exceptional circumstances, and in no instance shall the provisional period be extended such that the total provisional period would exceed nine months. University System employees transferring to another University System institution or the University System Office are subject to a new six-month provisional period upon beginning at the new location. Police Department employees are subject to the same provisional employment requirement as other classified employees, except that the six-month provisional period will not begin until any person employed as a police officer has completed his/her mandated training for certification as a police officer. This special provision only applies to those Police Department employees for whom specified training is mandated by state law and such training occurs after their employment. Employees in the six-month provisional period are not eligible for
transfer or promotion within the university during that period. Employees who have successfully completed a provisional period and who are transferring to or being promoted into a new position will not be subject to another provisional period. Former employees who are rehired will be considered new employees and will have another provisional period.

Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesSick and Vacation LeaveSick Leave: All regular/full-time and regular/part-time employees earn and accrue sick leave. Temporary employees are not eligible to earn or accrue sick leave. Sick leave accrues and is cumulative with no maximum limit during an employee's length of continuous service. The rate of sick leave accrual for all eligible employees is based on the employee's work commitment. Regular/full-time employees accrue: monthly 8 hours, an Annual Equivalent of 12 working days. Sick leave is prorated if work commitment is greater than .50, but less than 1.00. The University System of Georgia does not compensate employees for accrued sick leave at termination of employment. Vacation Leave: The rate of vacation accrual for eligible employees is based on an employee's length of continuous service. Regular/full-time employees earn vacation according to the following: 0 - 5 Years of Service earns 10 monthly hours (15 working days); 5-10 Years of Service earns 12 monthly hours (18 working days) and Over 10 Years of Service earns 14 monthly hours (21 working days). Accrual of leave is based on the time of month your employment begins. If you are employed on or before the 15th of the month, leave accrual begins the date of your employment. If you are employed after the 15th of the month, leave accrual begins on the first of the following month. You may accrue a maximum of 360 hours (45 days) of annual leave. Any annual leave time accrued above 360 hours is forfeited as of December 31
of each year. Annual leave is prorated if work commitment is greater than .50, but less than 1.00. Temporary employees are not eligible to earn or accrue annual leave. The University System of Georgia compensates employees for accrued annual leave time not to exceed a maximum of 360 hours at termination of employment.

Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesTuition Assistance Program (TAP)Mission Statement: As part of its mission statement the University System of Georgia (USG) is committed to "the recruitment, hiring, and retention of the best possible faculty, staff and administration." The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia is committed to creating a more educated Georgia. Both of these commitments extend internally as well as externally. As part of its desire to meet its employees' evolving needs, the USG has established an educational assistance program, the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). The purpose of TAP is to foster the professional growth and development of its eligible employees. The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is available to non-temporary, full time benefits-eligible employees who have successfully completed at least six (6) months of employment, as of the date of the TAP application deadline for the desired academic semester. The process is as follows: An employee will be required to go through the regular student admissions process, prior to applying for TAP; and an employee must complete a TAP application for each semester in attendance. TAP Application Deadlines: The following University System of Georgia TAP application deadlines will apply to all University System of Georgia institutions (If any of these dates fall on a holiday or weekend, the application deadline will be the last business day prior to the dates identified): Fall Semester - July 15th, Spring Semester - November 15th and Summer Semester - April 15th.Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesVotingEmployees are encouraged to exercise their constitutional right to vote in all federal, state, and local elections. If election polls are not open at least two hours before or two hours after an employee's normally scheduled work shift, sufficient leave time, consisting of a two-hour block, will be granted to permit the employee to vote. Time off for voting should be coordinated with employee's immediate supervisor.Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Human ResourcesWorkers' CompensationAll employees of Armstrong State University are covered under the provisions of the Georgia Workers' Compensation Law. This law provides protection for employees and their dependents in the event of injury or death while performing services for the university. There is no employee contribution. In the event an employee sustains any injury, regardless of how small the injury may seem, it must be reported to the Human Resources Department at once. Determination will be made concerning the advisability of first aid or additional medical treatment. Failure to report an injury may result in non-payment of any medical claims.Human Resources: 912.344.2587
Business and FinanceBudget AmendmentsVice Presidents, Deans, Department Heads and Managers may amend the non-personal services accounts in their budgets. These amendments will be processed provided there are adequate funds available in the departments.  Budget amendments affecting personal services are made at the Dean's level or above and are all processed through Human Resources and the Vice President of Business and Finance’s Office.
The process is as follows: The designated department budget manager submits a Budget Amendment Form with all appropriate approvals, to the Budget Director.  This can be accomplished via fax, email attachment, or hard copy sent through university inter-office mail.  All budget amendments must be received by the Budget Office prior to the last day of processing for the fiscal year (check the budget office webpage for details). Download the <a href="">form and instruction pages</a>.

Budget Director: 912.344.3991
Business and FinanceExpenditure CorrectionsVice Presidents, Deans, Department Heads and Managers have on-line access to their budget information via the iStrategy online system.  They can manage their expenditures with full access to the detailed transactions that make up their budget reports.  Each person assigned to their departmental budget is responsible for overall budget state of their areas as well as accuracy of the charges on their accounts.  Any budget discrepancies should be brought to the attention of the Budget Director immediately.  Any unknown, disputed or questionable charges on their accounts should be brought to the attention of the Accounting Office immediately. iStrategy can be accessed from the Armstrong Home page under <a href="">Login</a>. Information in the iStrategy system is updated nightly so accurate and timely information is always available to the person responsible for the departmental budget. Should a discrepancy be noted in one of your accounts, please contact the Accounting Office.

Accounting Office: 912.344.2506
Business and FinanceAsset Inventory - Asset TransferThe University maintains an inventory of all equipment items with a value of $3,000.00 or more. These items have Armstrong property decals. Whenever an equipment inventory item is transferred from one location (room, building, department, campus) to another location, a Transfer of Equipment notification form must be sent to Central Receiving. Forms are available by request from Central Receiving. The department whose asset is being transferred is responsible for relocating that asset to the new location. Should the items be large or require special handling, the department may request support form Facility Services or ITS to assist them in the transfer.  The Transfer of Equipment form received from Central Receiving will be forwarded to Accounting so that the new information can be updated in PeopleSoft, subsequently being correctly reported as to the current location and owner of the asset.  

Central Receiving: 912.344.2821 or Accounting 912.344.2506
Business and FinanceAsset Inventory - Asset SurplusThe University maintains an inventory of equipment items with a value of $3,000.00 or more. These items have Armstrong property decals. Whenever an equipment inventory item is requested to be sent to surplus property, a Transfer of Equipment request must be submitted. This will ensure all state assets are disposed of according to state policies and procedures. Forms are available from Central Receiving: 344.2821. They will coordinate with Facility Services and ITS to have the asset removed from its current location and brought to the correct location on campus for storage.  The Transfer of Equipment form received by Central Receiving will be forwarded to Accounting so that the asset can be removed for the department’s asset inventory and disposed of in accordance with state policy.   

Central Receiving: 912.344.2821 or Accounting 912.344.2506
Business and FinanceCheck RequestsThe Check Request Form should be used to pay for purchases up to $2499.00. For purchases greater than $2499.00, a requisition (REQ) should be created in PeopleSoft and submitted online. Once approved, the REQ will be processed and a Purchase order (PO) will be created and used to order the item(s). Remember, purchase orders are to be completed prior to receiving goods or services. Some vendors require a PO regardless of the amount of the purchase. If that is the case with the vendor you wish to purchase from, you will have to prepare a REQ for that item.  Please note this requirement in the comment field on the REQ. Also, all check requests should have an invoice and a packing slip attached (if available).  No check
requests will be processed for payment without an invoice (ie…we do not process payments from packing slips, quotes or consultant forms).  Please send all completed check requests to Accounts Payable in the Financial Services office.

Accounting 912.344.2506
Business and FinanceConsultantsConsultant Forms should be submitted prior to the work being started. Once the form is completed please send the form to the Procurement Office. If the consulting services are equal to or over $2,500.00 a purchase order is required. If the consulting services are for less than $2,500.00 no purchase order will be needed. After the work has been completed an invoice should be submitted to Accounts Payable by the consultant. If a purchase order was created please make sure the purchase order number is referenced on the invoice. If the purchase amount to any vendor exceeds $25,000.00 per contract, the goods or services must be competitively bid.  The only exception to this rule is for purchases made from an existing, approved statewide contract. The form may be found at this link: <a href="">Forms - Purchasing - Authorization for Employment of Consultants

Procurement Office: 912.344-2785
Business and FinanceOpening of MailThe Business Office frequently receives mail that appears to be a check; however, the Business Office will not open checks that are specifically addressed to departments or individuals on campus. These checks will be forwarded to the department or individual noted on the check. When a Department receives University funds, receipts under $200 should be deposited at the Bursar's Office within a week of receipt; receipts $200 and above should be deposited at the Bursar's Office within one business day of receipt. The department must deposit the funds at the Bursar’s Office along with the supporting receipt documents. Funds must be kept in a secure locked device until deposited.VP Business and Finance: 912.344.2516
Business and FinanceTravel Cash Advance RequestCash advances are not a common practice and at this time there are only three departments that are eligible for advances. They are as follows; Athletics, Study Abroad and Admissions. If an employee has insufficient personal funds or a student group is travelling with extenuating circumstances, they must contact the VP of Business and Finance to request permission for an advance. VP Business and Finance: 912.344.2516
Business and FinancePurchase RequisitionsDepartmental purchases are initiated by a purchase requisition. The employee should use the PeopleSoft on-line requisition system to create a requisition. For assistance consult the Purchasing Office in Financial Services. All IT purchases (hardware or software - excluding printer cartridges, mouse, keyboard and cables), should have a Technology form approved prior to creating the requisition. List the vendor and address, federal ID number, NIGP code, unit of measure/quantity, descriptions (specifications including model numbers, sizes capacity, colors and options) and price on the form. The budget account string to be charged should be included in requesting the purchase. Procurement: 912.344-2647
Business and FinanceTravel Autorization and Expense ClaimsTravel request authorizations should be submitted in PeopleSoft and approved in advance of the travel. A paper standing authorization for individuals required to travel on a regular or continuous basis or a specific authorization for individuals making a single trip may be used. Standing authorizations can only be used for day trips (no overnight expenses) and should be submitted by a Department Head to Business & Auxiliary Services. If travel is not included in a standing authorization, complete a travel request in PeopleSoft -Travel & Expenses. Notify the Business & Auxiliary Services office of any changes or cancellation in approved travel and complete the travel expense claim upon return to campus. Travel expense claims are submitted in PeopleSoft -Travel & Expenses. For help or additional information contact Purchasing in Procurement & Auxiliary Services.Procurement: 912.344-2647
Business and FinanceTravel Reimbursement for Job CandidatesOther than hotel expenses, candidates for faculty or other positions are to pay for travel expenses. Candidates are eligible for reimbursement for travel expenses according to the Board of Regents travel regulations and institutional policy. For more information contact Procurement. Procurement: 912.344-2647
Business and FinancePrinting RequestsAll departments and organizations that require printing should contact the Pirate Print Shop. A <a href="">Pirate Print Shop Request for Print Services </a> form should be completed along with all required information that includes number of copies, date needed, size, etc. and submitted to print shop personnel. Once the order is received and a sufficient departmental budget is verified the job can be completed. Pirate Print Shop: 912.344.3036
Business and FinanceExternally Funded ProgramsFaculty should consult their Department Head before formally applying for an externally funded program. Faculty who apply for and receive grants and gifts from both public and private sources, including consulting services, are representing the university. These externally funded programs must be approved through academic channels. Agreements for externally funded programs are between the grantor and the university. Funds received for instruction, research, and public service are budgeted in the general operation budget as sponsor projects. Expenditures for grants, gifts and consulting services are subject to purchasing, budgeting, personnel and other policies and procedures. They must be approved by the Department Head. The faculty member will be compensated through payroll and the Business Office will bill the grantor according to the terms of the agreement. For more information contact the Vice President for Business & Finance. VP Business and Finance: 912.344.2516
Business and FinanceFiscal Year ClosingThe university fiscal year ends on June 30th. Financial transactions must be completed in time for the Business Office to adhere to this deadline. Each fiscal year the Business Office will notify Department Heads of deadline dates for purchase orders, check requests, petty cash reimbursements and other financial transactions. For more information on fiscal year closing contact the Assistant Vice President for Finance. Assistant Vice President for Finance: 912.344.2506
Business and FinancePetty Cash DisbursementsThe Business Office maintains a petty cash fund for purchases of $50.00-$75.00 for the convenient and efficient purchase of small items. Departmental approval for small purchases should be acquired for the purchase. Employees should present the receipt to the Cashier in the Bursar’s Office for reimbursement. A cash voucher should be completed with an attached receipt. A charge will be applied to the departmental account. Bursar's Office: 912.344.3243
Business and FinanceRecords RetentionThe university maintains a records retention center in Central Receiving and follows the retention schedule established by the Board of Regents. This storage site should be used for data and file storage that could be needed for quick retrieval. Department personnel should contact Central Receiving for the retrieval and submittal of documents for archiving. Central Receiving will deliver and pickup boxes by request. An off-site storage option for records and information management is available to the campus through Iron Mountain. For more information concerning this off-site storage please contact the Office of Vice President for Business and Finance.Central Receiving: 912.344.2821 or VP Business and Finance: 912.344.2516
Business and FinanceBookstore PurchasesDepartments may purchase Bookstore items. Upon approval from the Department Head, the employee should select the needed items for departmental use and advise the bookstore cashier of the method of payment (departmental purchase). The employee should present his/her university issued I. D. to the cashier for verification and collect the purchase receipt. The Bookstore purchase will be charged to the appropriate departmental account. For more information about departmental purchases please contact the Bookstore. University Bookstore: 912.344.2603
Business and FinancePurchasing Credit CardFor information to gain approval for use and in managing a university issued P-Card (credit card) visit the P-Card site on the university’s <a href="">Purchasing</a> webpage under Business & Finance. If further assistance is needed please contact Purchasing. Procurement and Auxiliary Services: 912.344-2647
Human ResourcesGrievance ProcedureA classified employee may file a grievance by completing a grievance form and submitting it to the chief human resources officer (or other office designated to handle grievances). Unless there is good cause for delay, a grievance must be filed within ten (I0) working days of the notice of suspension or discharge. If filed after that time, the grievance must be accompanied by a written explanation for the delay. The chief human resources officer will rule as to whether or not the employee had good cause for filing the grievance late. Upon submission of the grievance statement, the grievant will be provided with a copy of the formal grievance policy and other documents pertaining to grievance hearing procedures. The employee shall be entitled to the procedural protections of a hearing before a Board of Review. The Board of Review hearing may take place either before or after the effective date of the personnel decision in question. For additional information please see the full <a href="">Grieveance Procedure (PDF)</a> posted on the Human Resources pageHuman Resources: 912.344.2587
Business and FinanceVehicle Rental Reservation ProcedureEmployees can make their own vehicle rental reservations directly through Enterprise or Hertz. Both vendors have been awarded the state-wide contract and are the required vendors for renting vehicles in the state of Georgia. Vehicles rented outside of the state can be done through Hertz at significant discounts. For additional information for renting a vehicle please contact Daphne Burch at 42647 or daphne.burch@armstrong.eduProcurement and Auxiliary Services: 912.344-2647
Main menu