PowerSchool System Import Data Template Instructions
Deployment Services- Classroom Team
|This set of worksheets is intended to help you format your school's data for importing into PowerSchool|
Please also download and use our Managing Dates for PowerSchool Data as a guide.
General WorkSheet Information
|1) Each worksheet (tab) contains a category of data that can be imported into PowerSchool (e.g., student demographics or staff information).|
|2) These worksheets contain the most commonly used fields. If you don't see a column for a field that you do see on a PowerSchool screen|
(e.g., bus route) and you want to import that data for your school, ask your Implementation Project Manager to help you identify
the field name for that value.
3) Additional fields may have to be added for state reporting requirements (see your state reporting guide).
4) Some fields are auto generated from the PowerSchool System and other fields are created by the user and are contained in the system.
Ask your Implementation Project Manager to help you identify these field values in PowerSchool.
Populating and Saving the WorkSheets
1) Populate the columns with the indicated values. Our best practice recommendation is for each school to have their own set of templates, for certain files it is
possible to combine all schools' data on one template. Your Project Manager will work with you to determine the best option.
2) Within each worksheet, the column headers specify the data to be imported and indicate the format, any value requirements, and whether
that data element is recommended or required. You must populate the fields that have an "x" in the "Required" row.
3) All columns and rows containing directions and examples on worksheets are to be deleted prior to import. ONLY the field headers and your data remain.
|4) Save each worksheet separately as a tab-delimited text file. Work with your Implementation Project Manager to import data into PowerSchool.|
|Mid-Year Start: If you are planning to do attendance reporting using PowerSchool, and you are beginning to use the software later than the first day of school, you may want to consider importing attendance rather than entering it by hand. The Meeting_Attendance and Daily_Attendance worksheets can be found by downloading the Additional Import Template. Talk to your Implementation Project Manager for more information.|
Next School Year's Scheduling Using PowerScheduler
|Planning to use PowerScheduler for your Next School Year's Scheduling:|
Option 1: Using PowerSchool’s PowerScheduler program to BUILD your "Sections(Master Schedule)" from your Student’s Course requests:
1) You DO NOT need to import the current school year "Section(Master Schedule)" worksheet or the "Student Schedules" worksheet.
2) You will import "(Students)", "(Staff&Teachers)", "(Courses)" and "(Rooms)". Then, attend the Prepare-to-Build and Build Workshop classes to use PowerScheduler to
generate your Master Schedule.
Option 2: Using PowerSchool’s PowerScheduler program to LOAD your "Students" schedules into an existing Section(Master Schedule):
1) You will import the "Section(Master Schedule)" into PowerSchool; you do not need to import this year's Student Schedules.
2) The Master Schedule imported can be either this year’s, if it requires only minor modifications, or it can be the next year's correct Master Schedule.
3) Once the Master Schedule is imported and modified in PowerSchool and necessary modifications are made, you can copy the Master Schedule into PowerScheduler.
4) With this type of effort, we recommend you take the Load Only class for information on setting up PowerScheduler and entering student course requests.
*Please find PowerScheduler templates by downloading the file "PowerScheduler_Import_Template"
Grading with Standards
|Courses: A course list must first be created on the "Courses" worksheet. See the "Course Format Example for Elementary Schools" on the "Courses" worksheet.|
Standards: If you grade using standards, create the courses using the "Courses" worksheet in this file and request a "Standards" template from your
|Implementation Project Manager (download "Additional Import Tempalte". The data entered into the "Standards" template will use the course numbers utilized |
in the "Courses" worksheet in this file.