|Task In Progress Under U.S.-IPP Collaboration in Wendelstein 7-X|
|Task Agreement Status|
|Task Number||Short Title||U.S. Lead||IPP Lead||Near-term plans (abridged)|
See full task agreement for details
|2017-1||Neutral Beams and Energetic Particles||S. Lazerson PPPL||R. Wolf||• Develop prototype thin-film Faraday cup fast ion loss detectors.|
• Numerical studies of neutral beam deposition and fast ion losses
• OP1.2: Characterize neutral beam deposition and losses.
|2017-2||XICS Exploitation||N. Pablant, S. Lazerson PPPL||A. Langenberg||• OP1.2: Investigate impurity transport, radial electric field, transport|
• Compare radial electric field behavior between W7-X and LHD.
• Physics improvements to STELLTRAN-pb
• Analyze LHD XICS data and make available in LHD archives
• With LHD, investigate CERC, Er vs. power, transport
|2017-3||PMI and Impurity Sourcing||O. Schmitz, Univ. of Wisconsin||R. Burhenn, M. Jakubowski||• Laser Blow-Off (LBO) test.|
• Finalize analysis of limiter surfaces and in-situ spectroscopy
• Finalize modeling and publish paper about OP1.1 erosion and impurity transport
• Support setup of scraper observation for in-situ PMI analysis
• Assess with FZJ option for tracer gas injection and innovative analysis methods
|2017-4||OP2 Endoscopes||G. Wurden,|
|J. Fellinger||• Define requirements|
• Supervise companies developing optical design
• Conceptual mechanical design, proof-of- principle testing, conceptual design selection
• Supervise selected company developing detailed design, including detailed plans for manufacturing inspection and testing and plans for assembly, testing, adjustment and installation
• Supervision of final design, and approval of plans for execution.
• Preparation of RFQ for delivery of optical and mechanical components
|2016-1||Remote Collaboration Technology||H. Neilson, S. Zelick PPPL||H.-S. Bosch,|
|• Develop and test IT solutions|
• Implement solutions and policies at U.S. partner institutions.
|2015-1||High Heat Flux Scraper Element||A. Lumsdaine, ORNL||J. Boscary||• Thermo-mechanical modelling in support of HHF SE design.|
• Exploration of innovative materials for the HHF SE. (ORNL)
|2015-2||Long-Pulse PMI Science||D. Hillis, J. Harris, ORNL||T. S. Pedersen||• Installation of 48 additional HELIOS filterscope channels for edge plasma spectroscopy.
• Physics and engineering modeling to design and analyze experiments for OP1.2 using the TDU scraper element.
• Participate in the experimental planning of the OP1.2 campaign as thrust leader for scientific exploitation of the TDU scraper element.
|2015-3||Phase Contrast Imaging||M. Porkolab, E. Edlund, MIT||O. Grulke||• Ship equipment to IPP Greifswald.|
• Setup optics tables in the laser lab to test layout and electronics equipment.
• Remove optics and transport optics tables to the torus hall.
• Replace optics and finalize installation in the TH.
• Integrate laser and remote control systems with the network.
|2015-4||Gas Puff Imaging||J. Terry, MIT||O. Grulke||• System integration for Phantom V10 camera|
• Deliver camera and associated optics; port software.
• OP1.2: Obtain and analyze high-speed images from the plasma.
• Modeling and system integration for OP2 system (camera + dedicated gas puff)
|2015-5||Heavy Ion Beam Probe||D. Demers, Xantho Technologies||O. Grulke||• Establish nominal direction of Btor for pending feasibility studies|
• Identify and characterize W7-X discharge scenarios for study.
• Assess HIBP measurement feasibility utilizing reference scenario data
• Initiate consideration of engineering-scope and installation-logistics that must overlap with, and follow, this conceptual design effort.
|2015-6||EMC3-Eirene Modeling||O. Schmitz, H. Frerichs U. Wisconsin||Y. Feng||• Publish paper about EMC3-EIRENE modeling of SOL width vs. connection.|
• Publish paper about synthetic reconstruction of limiter recycling fluxes.
• Continue OP1.1 analysis with focus on radiation cooling, particle balance, and PMI.
• Assess impurity transport and radiation cooling during OP1.2
• Improve numerical stability of EMC3-EIRENE in detached plasmas and study impact of 3-D equilibrium on detachment stability in island divertor
• Continue support of diagnostic development (IPP, FZ Juelich and U.S. labs)
|2015-7||V3FIT equilibrium reconstruction and EMC3 interface development||D. Maurer Auburn U.||J. Geiger||• Finish V3FIT installation and initial testing|
• Begin forward diagnostic modeling studies and calibrations.
• Extender implementation and interface development for EMC3-Eirene
• Prepare for OP 1.2 operations and have codes running robustly
|Needs to be updated.|
|2015-8||X-ray imaging crystal spectrometer (Auburn)||D. Maurer Auburn U.||A. Langenberg||• Student training in XICS operation and run procedures|
• Day-to–day operations (with Dr. Pablant)
• Optimization of XICS operation and Argon gas puff.
|Needs to be updated.|
|2015-9||Helium Exhaust||O. Schmitz, Th. Kremeyer U. Wisconsin||U. Wenzel||• Finalize analysis of neutral pressure and Penning gauge (PG) system|
• Functional tests of new PG system
• Obtain full calibration of new PG system at UW Madison vacuum test stand and in-situ at W7-X
• Implement multi-reservoir, multi-species particle balance in EMC3-EIRENE
|2015-10||Quantitative Edge Spectroscopy||O. Schmitz, T. Barbui U. Wisconsin||M. Krychowiak||• Implement observation for OP1.2|
• Finalize analysis of OP1.1 HeLRS measurements. Prepare analysis suite for general use
• Benchmark HeCRM and NeCRM in high density conditions of island divertor
• Make neon CRM ready for use (collaboration with Auburn U. and Johns-Hopkins U.
• Prepare LANL visible camera for scraper observation, support implementation of ORNL filterscopes.
|2014-1||TDU Scraper Element||D. Loesser, H. Neilson, PPPL||J. Fellinger||• Deliver scraper units and documentation; close fabrication project.|
• Assemble units at IPP
• Mockup installation procedure
• Complete high heat-flux testing
|2014-2||X-ray Imaging Crystal Spectrometer||N. Pablant PPPL||A. Langenberg||• Procure / install new Pilatus 300K-W detector.|
• Data analysis package improvements
• Integrate analysed XICS data into W7-X data archive.
• Develop acquisition system for HR-XIS detector.
• In-vessel spatial calibration of XICS system after OP1.2.
|2014-3||On-Site U.S. W7-X Program Coordination at IPP||H. Neilson, PPPL||T. Klinger|
|• Glen Wurden, on-site from Nov. 2016|
• Jeffrey Harris, on-site from Nov. 2016
• Samuel Lazerson, on-site from June 2017
|2014-4||Magnetics and Control||S. Lazerson, D. Gates, PPPL||T. S. Pedersen||• Document post-OP1.1 work.
• Evaluate effects and ramifications of measured error field.
• Participate in e-beam mapping experiments.
• OP1.2 experiments: plasma response and divertor heat-load balancing in response to trim coils.
|2014-5||Infrared Imaging||G. Wurden, LANL||T. S. Pedersen||• Continue real-time image data analysis software development.|
• Design, construct, install 2-mirror system for AEK51 port, to view the upper scraper element.
• Prepare visible and IR imaging of TDU divertors and scraper element for OP1.2, and participate in OP1.2.
|2014-6||Pellet Injection Program||L. Baylor, J. Harris, ORNL||J. Baldzuhn||• Document a pre-conceptual design for a steady-state pellet injection system.|
• Develop a collaborative project strategy with NIFS and IPP.
• Contribute as appropriate to an integrated R&D plan for fusion reactor fueling, being developed by ORNL.
• Participate in ORNL prototype extruder testing.
• OP1.2: Participate in pellet injection studies using existing IPP injector.
|22 Nov 2016|