|TITLE:||GUEST & TITLE: Scott Johnson - podcaster at FrogPants Studios|
|Stories subject to change up until showtime|
|Daily Tech News Show is powered by, you. To find out more head to dailytechnewsshow.com/support|
|This is the Daily Tech News for Wednesday May 17th, 2017 I'm Tom Merritt|
|Let's start with a few tech things you should know about...|
|t||Qualcomm has filed a complaint against Foxconn, Pegatron, Wistron, and Compal Electronics over unpaid royalties. All four companies contract with Apple which sued Qualcomm in January, claiming overcharging. Apple has instructed the contractors not to pay and agreed to indemnify the manufacturers for any damages.||http://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-lawsuit-qualcomm-idUSKCN18D1EC?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews|
|s||Wistron has begun assembling iPhone SEs in India with the first phones shipping to Indian customers sometime this month. Apple needs to source a certain percentage of products from inside India in order to get a license to operate Apple retail stores.||https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/17/15651842/apple-iphone-india-assembling-begun|
|t||At its Financial Analyst Day, AMD announced a graphics card based on its next-generation architecture, the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition. The Vega card will come with 4096 stream processors, 16GB of high bandwidth memory on a wide 2048-bit memory bus. The card will support up to 8K displays with AMD claiming up to 12.5 terraflops of single precision processing power, and will be targeted at machine learning and photo rendering applications, with an expected release in June.||http://www.anandtech.com/show/11403/amd-unveils-the-radeon-vega-frontier-edition|
|AMD also confirmed that it will release a consumer CPU with 16-cores, supporting 32 threads, code named Threadripper. The CPU is scheduled for release in summer along with the x99 High End Desktop platform.||https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/17/amd-s-16-core-threadripper-cpu-is-built-for-ultra-high-end-pcs/|
|s||Amazon refreshed its line of Fire Tablets. The Fire 7 is now thinner and weighs less with improved contrast and still sells for $50. The Fire HD 8 received a $10 price cut. Both ship June 7th. There is also a kids edition of the Fire HD 8 now that includes parental controls, a two-year worry-free guarantee and a protective cover in multiple colors for $130. Amazon Voice Services is coming to all tablets sold in the UK as well.||https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/17/15650262/amazon-fire-7-tablet-refresh-release-date-pricing-kids-edition|
|To get all the tech headlines each day in about 5 minutes subscribe to dailytechheadlines.com||http://dailytechheadlines.com/|
- Suggested Sharing: Google will suggest sending photos to people
- Sharing tab keeps notifications about suggestions. Sends SMS or email to those who don’t have Google Photos account.
- Can add their own photos to albums
- Shared Libraries. Automatically shares with people you want. - all, or share from a certain date, or share photos that include certain things like your kids.
- Can choose to autosave photos of specific people. All photos of kids show up in both parents libraries no matter who took the picture (for instance)
- Coming Weeks
- Photo Books. Search for photos you want. Select Photo book. Choose $9.99 for softcover, $19.99 for hardcover. Photos will suggest best photos.
- Available today in the US on the web. Android and iOS next week.
- Google Lens in Google Photos - identifying paintings, doing OCR to tap phone numbers and make calls
Vision-based computing capabilities
-first for Photos and Google Assistant
- Can identify a flower, has OCR, can grab a username and password from router
- Saves and organizes things it detects
Smart Reply for all Gmail users (Android ios)
Scott Huffman - "You should just be able to express what you want throughout your day and the right thing should happen." 70% of requests are in natural language
You can now type to GA on phone - available in the coming months
Lens can handle business cards and receipts
Can see a marquee and buy tickets or add event to calendar
Now on iPhone.
Google Assistant built in badge on products
Coming in more languages (Spanish, French, German, Japanese, German, Korean, Italian.)
Actions on Google platform
coming to Android and iOS (Already on Home)
Can pick up where they left off across devices
Supporting transactions, payments, ID, receipts, etc.
No installation or account creation
Any smartphone developer can make a Google Action now
- 50 new features since launch
- Coming summer to Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Japan
- Schedule meetings, set reminders, get daily briefing
1. Proactive Assistance - Turns on light to get attention. (Reminders, traffic delays, flight delays)
2. Hands-free calling. Any landline in US or Canada, free. Recognized voice and used right contacts list. Option to link mobile number to Assistant. Over next few months in US
3. Entertainment: Spotify free tier coming. Soundcloud and Deezer. Bluetooth for any audio. HBO Now, Hulu can play to Chromecast.
4. Visual Responses. Shows responses like map routes to phone. (Android or iOS) Send responses to Chromecast. (Calendar on TV)
- You can ask "What's on YouTube" and finally (FINALLY) get a bare bones TV UI for Chromecast. Works with Netflix and YouTube TV too.
|VR and AR|
Daydream VR. LG’s next flagship phone will support Daydream. The S8 and S* plus will add support this summer.
- Standalone Daydream headsets. Designed just for VR. Helps for immersion
- Worldsense tracking. Uses sensors on device. (Like the new Starbreeze VR thing coming to E3)
- Qualcomm made a reference design. Working with HTC and Lenovo on models. Later this year.
- Project Tango. Second Tango phone,. Asus ZenFone AR on sale this summer.
- Working with Google Maps for precise location info indoors. Visual Positioning Service (VPS)
- Can direct you to things in big box hardware stores (Lowe’s)
AR Mode being added to Google Expeditions for classroom (Later this year)
- Full launch for Android Things (IoT) also later this year.
- 10x user growth in Android Auto. Volvo and Audi going Android.
- 1 million Android TV device activations every two months. (That's more than I could have guessed.)
Android O release later this summer
1. Fluid Experiences
- picture-in-picture (activated by Home Button), maps Netflix more support
- notification dots. Dots on icons. Long press icon to see notification.
- Autofill coming to apps not just Chrome. (like username on Twitter login) Opt-in.
- Smart Text selection. On-device machine learning to decided what you mean to select. Tap an address, highlights, selects maps. etc.
(TensorFlow Lite - Hardware Accelerate neural computation on Android phones - later this year)
Battery life, security, start up time, stability.
- Security enhancements - Machine learning scans 50 billion apps a day. Disable and remove harmful apps. Google Play Protect - dashboard to see prottection.
- OS optimizations - Boot time twice as fast in O. Limits to background locations and execution
- Developer tools
Play Console Dashboards. Identify drain, crashes and slowness in apps. Advise on fixes. Unified profile tools for network, memory, CPU.
3. One more thing. Kotlin officially supported in Android. Partner with Jet Brains to create a foundation for Kotlin.
-First Beta Release (Preview) of O later today. Android.com/beta
|Android Go (Internal name)|
More Android users in India than in US.
- OS Optimized for entry-level devices 1GB of memory or less - System UI and Kernel will use less memory, down to 512MB of memory. - Let people top up carrier data in settings -
- Apps that are optimized - Chrome Data Saver - YouTube Go (preview Gif, select streaming quality, save videos for offline viewing) Multilingual (Gboard)
- Play store featuring optimized apps - Low size, better battery and memory performance. (Building for Billions)
Every Android OS from O on will have a Go configuration
|AI-first data centers|
- Tensor Processing Units
- Cloud TPUs optimized for training and inference
- 180 trillion floating point operations per second.
- Coming to Google Compute Engine today
All AI at Google.ai
- Tools and infrastructure
- Applied AI
- Use neural nets to build neural nets
- "We want it to be possible for hundreds of thousands of developers to use machine learning."
"Providing tools for people to do what they do better."
- Using it to improve diagnostic software
- using it for more accurate DNA Sequencing
- predict properties of new molecules
- Google Search and Google Assistant
- Most popular ML repository on GitHub
- Research cloud giving 180 petaflops to academics and researchers for free
|Google for Jobs|
- Better connect employers and job seekers
- FedEx, Johnson & Johnson, others user Google's cloud job stuff to help suggest jobs to people.
- Search will suggest jobs at all skill levels
- Linkedin, Monster, Facebook, GlassDoor, and more all work with it.
- New UI with filters and alert options
- ML clusters relevant job titles together
- US in coming weeks. Other countries later.
- Watch time on TV is growing at 90% a year.
- YT on half-billion non-phone devices
- YouTube 360 videos (live) will work on TVs now in YouTube apps. Use remote to pan
- Fans buy special chats during live streams.
- Super Chat API. Can trigger real life actions. Like lights on or off, flying a UAV.
|Thanks to all those who participate in our subreddit. Submit stories and vote on them at dailytechnewsshow.reddit.com||http://dailytechnewsshow.reddit.com|
|Thanks to Scott Johnson|
|Patron Thank You||http://www.dailytechnewsshow.com/support|
|(Thank a boss, buy a mug, tell a friend)||http://patreon.com/dtns|
|Did you ever wonder what we all talk about *before* the show begins? Sometimes it's the news and sometimes it's food and sometimes it's something totally different. Patrons get an exclusive RSS feed they can add to their favorite podcasting app to get this exclusive pre-show plus the regular show and post show. Just support us at any amount at patreon.com/dtns|
|Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org! We're live M-F at 4:30 PM eastern/20:30 UTC at alphageekradio.com and diamondclub.tv, we're at facebook.com/dailytechnewsshow and our website is dailytechnewsshow.com.||http://www.reddit.com/r/dailytechnewsshow/|
|Plug tomorrow's guest: Justin Robert Young|
|END OF SHOW|