|TITLE:||GUEST & TITLE: Patrick Beja - Podcaster|
|Stories subject to change up until showtime|
|Daily Tech News Show is powered by, you. To find out more head to dailytechnewsshow.com/support|
|This is the Daily Tech News for Monday Jun 5, 2017 I'm Tom Merritt|
|Let's start with a few tech things you should know about...|
|Apple summary (SUPER QUICK)|
|Apple started by announcing Amazon Prime Video coming to Apple TV and integrating with TV app later this year. Then spent the next two and a half hours talking about new features in iOS 11 including an augmented reality developer kit called ARKit, peer-to-peer payments and an Apple Cash card in iMessage and a redesigned app store, as well as drag and drop and file system management for iPad. There’s also a new 10.5-inch iPad Pro starting at $649. MacBook Pros and iMacs got a spec refresh with Kaby lake processors and a new imac Pro with Xeon processors and Radeon Vega graphics coming in December for $4999. And the HomePod is Apple’s new smart speaker with Siri built in coming in December for $349.||https://thenextweb.com/apple/2017/06/05/amazon-prime-video-comes-apple-tv-long-last/#.tnw_lIC8Adck|
|OK. We'll dive into that in a few moments|
|First here are some other top stories|
|t||Former Oculus founder Palmer Luckey has a new startup working on surveillance technology for national borders and military bases. The system uses LIDAR and infrared sensors to detect humans and even UAVs moving through restricted areas. Luckey claims his system would save taxpayer dollars while keeping troops and citizens safe.||https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/4/15738348/palmer-luckey-border-control-tech-startup|
|p||Nikkei reports Amazon and Apple have joined FoxConn’s bid to acquire Toshiba’s NAND flash memory manufacturing business.|
Foxconn faces resistance, as Japan’s government would prefer a Japanese buyer.
Foxconn also recently acquired Japan’s Sharp Electronics.
|t||IBM, Samsung and GlobalFoundries announced the world’s first 5 nanometer silicon chip. It’s the first chip to use horizontal gate-all-around (GAA) transistors, and extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography. GAAFETs potentially can make chips as small as 3nm when combined with EUV. 5nm chips could offer a 40% performance boost or 75% drop in power consumption and put up to 30 billion transistors on a 50-square mm chip, up from 20 billion on a 7 nanometer chip.||https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/ibm-5nm-chip/|
|p||After attacks in London this weekend, UK Prime Minister Theresa May called for “international agreements that regulate cyberspace to prevent the spread of extremist and terrorism planning.”|
May has previously supported back doors for domestic encryption.
Facebook director of policy Simon Milner said “...we do not allow groups or people that engage in terrorist activity, or posts that express support for terrorism.”
|To get all the tech headlines each day in about 5 minutes subscribe to dailytechheadlines.com||http://dailytechheadlines.com/|
|Tom's summary: Apple wanted to be sure you know it has a lot going on with machine learning, and it's committed to professional users.|
|Apple introduces watchOS 4 at WWDC with new Siri-powered watch face | Ars Technica||https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/apple-introduces-watchos-4-at-wwdc-with-new-siri-powered-watch-face/|
|macOS High Sierra||https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/05/macos-high-sierra/|
|Apple's new iMacs have better screens, USB-C, and support VR||https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/5/15740298/new-apple-imacs-announced-price-specs-release-date-wwdc-2017|
|APIs for Machine Learning||https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/5/15725994/apple-mobile-ai-chip-announced-wwdc-2017|
|iOS 11 on iPad||https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/06/05/apples-new-ipad-pro-now-drag-drop/#.tnw_AiUAiL3y|
- Good sound
- Spatial awareness
- Fun to use, built in expert on music
less than 7-inches. All grill.
- Seven-speaker array of beamform tweeters on the bottom
- 4-inch upward-facing woofer.
A8 chip, real-time acoustic modeling, audio beam forming, multi-channel echo cancellation
- 6 microphones to say “Hey Siri” , waveform shows on top
- Music, News, Translation, Stocks, Traffic, Sports, Home, Podcasts, Reminders, Messages, Timers, General Knowledge.
- You can control your homekit devices when you're out with your iPhone - the HomePod acts as a HomeKit bridge.
- Anonymous Siri ID used for requests.
- $349 White or Space Grey Shipping in the US, UK, and Australia in December.
IPad Pro: 10.5-inch display, 40% smaller bezels, 1 pound
- True Tone display, wide color gamut, low reflectivity, 600 nits of brightness (50% brighter), HDR video. 120 Hz refresh rate (ProMotion)
- 20ms latency with Apple Pencil
- Dynamically adjust refresh rate to save battery
- A10X fusion processor - 6-core CPU, 3 of which are high-performance. 12-core GPU. 30 percent faster CPU over the A9X, 40 percent faster graphics.
- The iPad Pro has cameras. Same as the iPhone 7, 12-megapixel sensor with OIS.
- Accessories: supports USB3, fast charging.
- New leather sleeve coming with built-in storage for Apple Pencil.
- $649 (749, 949) for 10.5-inch model. $799 (899 1099) for 12.9-inch. 64 GB - You can ratchet up to 512GB of storage and LTE.
Order today shipping next week
iOS for iPad
- Dock has a predictive are to predict apps (and continuity apps)
Dock can come up when in any app
- Pull an app from the dock and put it in side
- App switch perserves spaces and app pairings
- Drag and drop - Images, text, URLS.
- Quick Type for flicking on kjeys for punctuation
- Supports nested folder, spring loading.
- Supports iCloud, DropBox, OneDrive,
- Markup anything you can print
- markup screenshots
- searchable handwriting in notes
- Document scanner
iOS 11 developer beta available end of month. In the fall for everyone.
iMessage: redesigned app drawer, better syncing across devices. Only recent messages stayed on device.
Apple Pay: person-to-person payments in iMessage as an app, apple pay cash card (send, store, transfer) iOS and Apple Watch
Siri: Upgrade for voice to make it more natural (deep learning) Siri can do translation in beta. SiriKit for 3rd party apps OMniFocus, Evernote, Banking, WeChat.
- "on-device learning" to suggest stuff like news articles, responding with your location, or make a calendar location.
Photos: HEVC video encoding on iOS 11. Less storage space for 4K videos. JPEG getting replaced with HEIF - better images at half the size — "Improved low light performance, optical image stabilization, Depth API
- photos app - Memories feature uses machine learning to identify sporting events, weddings, etc.
- Can change key photo in live photo, set a loop in live photos, long exposure
Control Center: Tall screen of widgets, 3D touch to get more controls, lock screen and notification center combined
- Siri learns from reading habits even informs autocorrect, apps autosuggested in iMessage
Maps: Indoor maps for malls in 8 cities, hundreds more coming, 30 airports to start, speed limits and lane guidance
CarPlay: Do Not Disturb while driving. BAsed on WiFi or Bluetooth. Automatic response to texts and certain people allowed through
Homekit:New category: Speakers. Airplay 2. Multi-room audio in iOS.
- shared up next to have party playlist
- Apple TV is an AirPlay 2 endpoint. 3rd-party API
Apple Music: Social feature to see friends listening
- MusicKit for Apple Music. Third Party apps can access Apple Music now. Nike, Anchor, Shazam can all interact with Apple Music.
APP STORE: Redesign -
- Today tab with big color cards you scroll through (games, Apps, Updates, Search)
- Cards sometimes lead to a story about the app/game with videos and such
- In-app purchases can be accessed from app store
Metal 2 and HEVC coming to iOS.
- Machine learning informs palm rejection on iPad
- Core ML: APIs for developers (face tracking/image detection, natural language API — It's all on-device processing for data processing. It will be on iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS.
ARKit - Demo app available for developers
- It ties in to the cameras, motion sensors, and, of course, the GPU and CPU.
-Ikea and Lego making appsPokeomn Go will support
- QR code recog in lock screen camera
|macOS High Sierra|
- Autoplay blocking
- "Intelligent Tracking Prevention" to keep ads from following you around the web.
- Important messages at top (Spotlight)
- Split view for compose window
- 35% less disk space
- Persistent sidebar
- New view with imports in chronological order
- Filter by keywords, favorites etc.
- Recognizes faces automatically
- Face naming synchornized across devices
- More editing tools
- Third party photo book makers plug into photos (wix Shutterfly Animoto, Whitewall, ifolor)
- Apple File System replaces HFS
- Native encryption. Crash protection. Instant file and directory cloning.
- H.265 (HEVC) 40% better compression than H.264
- Hardware acceleration for HEVC in newest macs
- Metal 2 - Driver optimizations,. Mac Window Server runs on Metal 2 in High Sierra
- Metal for machine learning for accelerating deep learning
- Metal for External graphics. Devkit available today. "Rolling out support to all our customers in the months to come."
- Metal for VR: Final Cut Pro X will be optimized for spherical video. Steam VR SDK coming to Mac. As are Unity and Unreal.
High Sierra available as developer beta today., Public Beta late June, Free Upgrade for all this fall for all Sierra-capable systems
- 500 nits, 43% brighter, 10-bit dithering, one billion colors
- 7th Gen Kaby Lake
- up to 32 GB on 21.5-inch 64 GB 27-inch
- Fusion drive standard on all 27 and high end 21.5
- 50% faster ssds up to 2 TB
- Two USB-C/Thunderbolt ports
- 21.5 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
- 21.5-inch 4k — Radeon Pro 555 & 560. Standard discrete graphics on these models.
- 27-inch iMac, you can get Radeon 570, 575, & 580. Up to 8GB of VRAM. (pushed for VR Creation)
21.5 starts $1099
4k Retina 21.5 $1299
5K 27-inch $1799
- Kaby Lake, faster SSDs
15-inch faster graphics
MAcBook and MBP 13-inch $1299
13-inch w Touchbar $1799
MAcBook Pro 15-inch $2399
MB Air gets speed bump
27-inch with space grey 5K display
More powerful than current MacPro
dual centrifugal fans
Ships with 8-core Xeon processor
up to 18-core processors
Radeon Vega graphics. Available with up to 16GB of VRAM and 400 GB per second of memory bandwidth.
22 Teraflops of half-precision computation. (big for machine learning)
You can get up to 128Gb of ECC memory. Up to 4TB of SSD.
4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, 10GB Ethernet built in.
1080p facetime camera. VESA mount. Fast SD card slot
Starting config for iMac Pro $4999 December
- Watchface powered by Siri proactively displaying information most relevant to you (machine learning)
- home controls, sunset time, flight boarding passes, etc.
- Kaleidescope, Woody, Jesse and Buzz.
- Activity app has nudges close to goals and animations when goals reached
- Workout app - autoset for pool workouts, High intensity interval training, , monthly challenges
- Enabling two-way data exchange with gym equipment by NFC. Incline speed, heartrate. 85% of gym equipment this fall.
- Music - Automatic sync based on tastes and behavior, multiple playlists
- New dock vertically scroll through recent apps, Siri Cards
- Flashlight that can blink as safety light
- Native core Bluetooth
Developer preview is available today. Free upgrade for everybody this fall
|Thanks to all those who participate in our subreddit. Submit stories and vote on them at dailytechnewsshow.reddit.com||http://dailytechnewsshow.reddit.com|
|ROLL in impressions from Peter Wells|
|Thanks to Patrick Beja|
|Patron Thank You||http://www.dailytechnewsshow.com/support|
|(Thank a boss, buy a mug, tell a friend)||http://patreon.com/dtns|
|Thanks to everybody who gives a little value back for the value they get from the show including Johee Chung, Matt Riordan, John Alderman and many more at patreon.com/dtns|
|Our email address is email@example.com! We're live M-F at 4:30 PM eastern/20:30 UTC at alphageekradio.com and diamondclub.tv, we're at facebook.com/dailytechnewsshow and our website is dailytechnewsshow.com.||http://www.reddit.com/r/dailytechnewsshow/|
|Plug tomorrow's guest: Veronica Belmont|
|END OF SHOW|