Startup Heatmap Europe
At the Startup Heatmap Europe, we believe in the power of local knowledge and encourage community leaders to share their insights & knowledge to enable a higher readibility of the whole European startup ecosystem.
With the Startup Ecosystem Accelerator, we also have an offering to work with those community builders to improve their capabilities in advancing and measuring their progress.
Our goal is to create Europe's leading platform of free startup community data, celebrating the continent's diversity and potential.
Join us in this movement for a more interconnected European startup scene
Keep in mind the quality criteria of data to be shared
- Comparative. Single data points are telling little, data should always show context by comparing over time or against a reference
- Reliable and valid. We will sense-check every data provided before publication and assess in how far the data can be trusted to speak to the point it is trying to make.
- Visualizable. Each data provided will be visualized by us, please keep this in mind, when providing data.
- Methodology. We require a short description of the methodology behind the creation of the dataset.
- Source Description. Each data you share should be owned by you or publicly available and referenced correctly with a URL.
- Provided as a google sheet, like this one
The data you share always reflects the quality of your work - or how it is perceived. You want the data to back-up the story you are telling.
Thus, you should apply not only the highest standards of quality and transparency, when sharing data, but also think good about the point you want to make.
Put an effort into drafting quality data visualizations and you will see the trust you can create by being transparent.
Data To Track (Ideas)
- Number of startups in your community
- Number of startups by vertical
- Number of meetups / events per month
- Geographical reach, e.g. social media followers, event attendees, startup participants by country
- Investments / Exits of Top 10 startups, backed by full list with details
- Portfolio Success Rate or Time to Follow-up Funding
- Net Promoter Score or other survey results
See How Portugal is tracking it's scale-ups: https://www.scaleupportugal.tech/
- number of startups per vertical, stage, etc.
- Origins of founders (country level)
- Ratio of applications / selected per call
- No. of mentors by professional background
IMPACT Accelerator practices a very transparent way of showing their metrics: https://www.impact-accelerator.com/metrics-and-more/
ICIC Think Tank provides a practical guide to measuring Accelerator impact: http://icic.org/blog/benchmarking-metrics-for-high-tech-incubators-and-accelerators/
- No. of speakers by origin
- No. of participants by country
- Topics covered in talks
- Matchmaking statistics (e.g. number of meetings organized)
Startup Sesame's annual report offers some insight what event organizers are tracking: https://www.startupsesame.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/STARTUP-SESAME-Report-2017-2018-Web.pdf
This is how you provide Ecosystem Data to be shown on the Heatmap
1) Review the examples & pick the best fitting form
2) Provide your data in the sheet "Your Data"
3) Add a Source & Methodology Description
4) If you'd like to include raw data, please do so in a separate sheet. Please indicate, that we view every data shared with us as publicly available
5) Send everything to firstname.lastname@example.org