|Sustainability and Capital Fund||The Gateway||The Golden Bears and Pandas Legacy Fund||The Landing|
|Question||The Students' Union Building (SUB) is a key asset for students at the University of Alberta. Beyond being a place on campus to meet with your friends, study, grab lunch, or catch a movie, SUB revenues provide more than $3 million in funding each year to support student services and initiatives, in addition to creating hundreds of job opportunities on campus.|
As a non-academic space on campus, SUB is not eligible for direct government capital grants—yet still requires more than $25 million to address accumulating deferred maintenance costs. This maintenance needs to be addressed in order to ensure its sustainability and value to students—as both a social space and an important revenue source.
The University of Alberta Students' Union (UASU) proposes to create a permanent Sustainability and Capital Fund to help provide funding that allows for the renovation and improvement of Students' Union-controlled spaces on campus like SUB. The Capital and Sustainability Fund would:
• Provide funding for projects that improve the environmental, economic, and/or social sustainability of Students' Union spaces;
• Provide up to $10,000 of funding for each approved student sustainability project that will positively impact the campus community.
Students' Council would be responsible for approving all expenditures from the Fund. All Fund projects must demonstrate a clear contribution to environmental, economic, and/or social sustainability.
The Fund would be financed by a fee subject to the following rules:
• The fee will be initially set at $25/term;
• Students' Council may reduce the fee if financial circumstances allow;
• The fee will be reviewed after five years; and
• The fee will be applied to students enrolled in Fall, Winter, and Intersession (Spring/Summer) terms;
• The fee can only increase according to the Alberta inflation rate;
• Augustana will be exempt from the fee.
Do you support the creation of a Sustainability and Capital Fund to be implemented in the Fall 2020 academic year?
|• The fee will increase from $3.54/semester to $5.50/semester per semester per student, to be assessed to students enrolled in the Fall and Winter semesters. |
• Students enrolled in Spring/Summer semesters will pay a fee which will increase from $0.54/semester to $1.50/semester
• Off-campus students will pay the fee
• Part-time students will pay the full fee
• Students may opt-out of paying the fee.
Do you support these changes to The Gateway's fee?
|Funds from the Golden Bears & Pandas Legacy Fund Dedicated Fee Unit shall be distributed to University of Alberta varsity athletic teams and the Athletics Department for the purposes of saving and stabilizing varsity athletic teams and for promotion of varsity athletics.
Approximately 50% of the fund shall be used as a sponsorship of the Department of Athletics; Approximately 30% of the fund shall be allocated to projects and special events; and approximately 20% of the fund shall be kept in a reserve fund, not to exceed $200,000 at any time.
The Golden Bear & Panda Legacy Fund Committee consists of seven undergraduate students, which recommends funding allocations to the Students' Union Finance Committee for final decision by March 31 of each year. The criteria for the evaluation of funding applications shall include:
• A requirement for applicants to match the amount of a grant for any given project:
• Disclosure of all other sources of revenue for any given project, including funding from the University of Alberta, the Green & Gold Athletics Society, support groups, and funds raised by teams or student groups applying for funding:
• Serious consideration with regards to the degree in which a project benefits the student population, which may be in the form of an opportunity to participate as a spectator, volunteer, official, or participant;
• Priority given to applications relating to the hosting of varsity athletic events;
• Priority given to applications with a long-range plan or vision for the development of a project;
Examples of Projects Previously Funded:
• Purchase of GUBA and Patches costumes to promote campus life
• Hosting costs for events for students to attend
• Purchasing audio and video equipment to improve event experiences
• Purchasing webcast equipment to broadcast events
• Promotional campaigns to encourage student participation (such as free food)
• Honoraria for part-time assistant coaches
• Pre-season travel for varsity teams
Proposed Fee Conditions:
• The fee will be four dollars and thirty-seven cents ($4.37) per semester per student, to be assessed to students enrolled in classes that term
• The fee will not be assessed to students enrolled in the spring/summer semester.
• The fee of four dollars and thirty-seven cents ($4.37) will be applied to both part-time and full-time students
• Students may not opt-out of paying the fee,
• The fee will not apply to Augustana students.
Do you continue to support a four dollars and thirty-seven cents ($4.37) per semester fee to be used for the operation of a Golden Bears and Pandas Legacy Fund to be administered by a board consisting of representatives from the Students' Union, the University Athletic Board, and the Student Population at large?
|The Landing is a student space for gender and sexual diversity located in the lower level of the Students' Union Building, open to all undergraduate students. The Landing provides programming such as drop-in hours, peer mentorship groups, resources and referrals, events, education sessions, and volunteer opportunities.
A $1.61 fee is collected from full-time and part-time undergraduate students in the Fall and Winter semester; Augustana and Off-Campus students are exempt. Students have the option to opt out online from the fee.
The fee pays for:
• Operating costs (staff wages and supplies)
• Programming, events, outreach and awareness
• Grants for projects supporting gender and sexual diversity
• Volunteer program
Administration of the fee is overseen by the Students' Union in conjunction with the LGBTQ2SPIA+ Student Advisory Committee. At least one member of Students' Council shall also sit on this board.
Do you support the continuation of the Landing's fee?
|Round 1||Total ballots: 7497||Total ballots: 7497||Total ballots: 7497||Total ballots: 7497|
|Spoiled or Unmarked ballots: 399 5%||Spoiled or Unmarked ballots: 416 6%||Spoiled or Unmarked ballots: 402 5%||Spoiled or Unmarked ballots: 482 6%|
|Yes votes: 3604 48%||Yes votes: 2506 33%||Yes votes: 3115 42%||Yes votes: 4151 55%|
|No votes: 3494 47%||No votes: 4575 61%||No votes: 3980 53%||No votes: 2864 38%|