|Addition 4||Addition 5||Addition 6||Closed||Merged|
Age of Building
|% Used||Historical Narrative|
|Academy of the Americas||5680 Konkel||48210|
Academy of the Americas
Acadmey of the Americas is located in St. Hedwig School (closed in the mid 90's) which was bought from the Archdiocese in 1992.
|Ann Arbor Trail Elementary||7635 Chatham||48239||Ann Arbor Trail|
After a slow start in 1945 in building the school and delays in construction classes started in 1948. By 1951 it was extremely overcrowded, enrollment being at 940 while capacity was only at 440. A second unit was built in 1955.
|Bagley Elementary (1930)||8100 Curtis||48221|
|16008550.||Yes||Built||Active||1929||1930||1938||1949||86||596||344||58%||Bagley Elementary school was built in 1929 and opened in 1930.|
5536 St Antoine St
Golightly Education Center
The Balch school is the only elementary school with a swimming pool. It was designed and built for a platoon school. It had a recent renovation in 2002 and is currently called the Golightly Education Center.
|Beard, Frank H (1896)||840 Waterman||48209|
Beard Early Learning Neighborhood Center
|18008084-107||Yes||Annexed||Active||1906||1896||1906||1900||110||369||72||20%||Beard is now the oldest school still in use in the district.|
|Beaubien Jr High||19701 Wyoming||48221||Bates Academy|
|16038032.||Yes||Built||Active||1964||1965||1971||51||1210||852||70%||Built in 1964 as Beaubien Jr High, later renamed Bates Academy, which was moved from a different school.|
|Beckham Academy, William||9860 Park Drive||48213|
Ellington Conservatory of Music & Art at Beckham Academy
One of several new schools built in 2001, later took in the Ellington Conservatory of Music & Art at Beckham Academy in 2013-14 and was renamed.
|Bennett Elementary||2111 Mulane||48209|
Bennett Elementary School
|20004038.||Yes||Built||Active||1911||1912||1930||104||697||469||67%||Built in 1911, Bennett grew rapidly and was expanded in 1930.|
|Bow Elementary||19801 Prevost||48235|
Bow Elementary-Middle School
Bow was built in two units starting in 1950. In 1960 an experimental program was started for parent teacher conferences. It proved to be successful, and had over 90% participation.
|Boynton Elementary||12800 Visger||48217|
Twain School for Scholars
Originally built in 1925 as Boynton. In 1960 it was one of the schools that received five TVs as part of the television teaching program. It was renamed Mark Twain School for Scholars in 2009 after Twain School closed.
Breithaupt Career and Technical Center
Breithaupt Career and Technical Center
|22003573-4||Yes||Built||Active||1980||1981||35||616||473||77%||The Breithaupt Career and Technical Center was opened in 1981 and is currently active.|
|Brooks Jr High||16101 W Chicago||48228|
|22003695.||Yes||Built||Active||1962||1963||1971||53||1013||774||76%||Originally Brooks Jr High, later renamed Henderson Academy.|
|Brown, Ronald Academy|
11530 East Outer Dr
Brown, Ronald Academy
|21069000.||Yes||Built||Active||2000||2001||15||1161||692||60%||Brown Academy was built to replace Stellwagen School, but both buildings continue to be used by Brown.|
|Butzel Jr High||2301 Van Dyke||48214|
The first unit of Butzel Junior High was built in 1963, with the second unit built in 1965. Became Marcus Garvey in 2009.
|Carleton Elementary (1946)||11724 Casino||48224|
Carleton Elementary School
Carleton was the first schools built after the Second World War, opening in 1946. It is currently active with the most recent addition being in 2003.
|Carver Elementary||18701 Paul||48228|
Carver STEM Academy
Carver was known as a community school. Several outside organizations were able to use the schools auditorium, classrooms, and gymnasium. It is currently the Carver S.T.E.M. Academy.
|Cass Technical High (2002)||2501 Second||48201|
Cass Technical High School
|04000472-3||Yes||Built||Active||2002||2005||11||2286||2260||99%||Cass Tech (2002) was built as a replacement for old Cass, located next door.|
|Cerveny Elementary Jr High|
King, John R. Academic and Performing Arts Academy
|22012056.||Yes||Built||Active||1923||1924||1930||1931||1971||92||1320||874||66%||Cerveny was annexed in 1925. Today it is the John R King Academic and Performing Arts Academy.|
|Chrysler Elementary||1445 E Lafayette||48207|
Chrysler Elementary School
One of several experimental schools by the same name, focusing on small classroom sizes. Ground breaking ceremonies were held in 1961.
|Clark Elementary||15755 Bremen||48224|
Clark, J.E. Preparatory Academy
The need for this school was made clear after the teachers went up and down the streets making note of the homes and number of inhabitants. The survey showed “spot maps” of the district and the need for a new school. The first unit of Clark School was opened in 1926 and the second in 1927.
|Clemente Learning Academy||1551 Beard||48209|
Clemente, Roberto Academy
|18008571.||Yes||Built||Active||2001||2002||14||862||753||87%||Clemente Learning Academy was built in 2001.|
|Cody High||18445 Cathedral||48228|
Cody High School
Cody High School was built in 1949. The high school is now home to several programs, sometimes counted as individual schools.
|Columbian (1963)||4701 McKinley||48208|
West Side Academy
Old Columbian was replaced due to enrollment increases. The new school was built in 1963. In 2002 it became the West Side Academy for Leadership Development. That closed in 2010, and the school currently houses the West Side Academy High School.
|Columbus Elementary Jr High||18025 Brock||48205|
In 1958 the school was converted to an elementary and junior high. It was done in a way so that the two could operate independently. Currently it is the Brewer Academy.
Communication And Media Arts High School
Communication & Media Arts HS
The building for the Communication and Media Arts school was purchased by DPS. It was formerly St. Mary of Redford School and it opened in 1992.
|Cooke Elementary||18800 Puritan||48223|
Cooke Elementary School
|22083143.||Yes||Built||Active||1925||1926||1938||1953||90||420||361||86%||Cooke was built in 1925 and annexed to Detroit in 1926.|
16164 Asbury Park
Adult Ed Center - West
When Crary was built in 1938 it had many modern features some of which included all metal window frames and sills, glass brick on the stairway landing, and aluminum blackboard molding. Currently it is the Adult Ed Center West.
Crockett Career / Technical Center
Carson, Benjamin High School for Science and Medicine
|03000846-99||Yes||Built||Active||1980||1981||35||594||420||71%||The Crockett Career / Technical Center was built in 1980 and is currently the Ben Carson Academy.|
|Custer Elementary (1920)||15531 Linwood||48238|
Marshall, Thurgood Elementary School
Custer Elementary was built in 1920 as a K-8 school. Originally built for 2,080, peak attendance was 2,600 with a capacity of 2080, forcing the school into half day sessions. In 1999 the name was changed to Thurgood Marshall Elementary School.
|Davison Elementary (1916)||2800 E Davison||48212|
Davison Elementary-Middle School
The Davison school had several programs there were usually not offered at other schools. These included the health conservation unit, an attendance center, a guidance and placement center and the Board of Health dental clinic.
|Detroit School of Arts||123 Selden||48201|
Detroit School of Arts
|No parcel||Yes||Built||Active||2003||2005||11||1296||541||42%||The Detroit School of Arts was built in 2003 and is currently active.|
|Dossin Elementary, Ernest J||16650 Glendale||48227|
Dossin Elementary Middle School
In 1946 the President of the Dossin Food Products offered a plot of land as a gift to the Detroit Board of Education. The school was built in 1949 and is currently active.
|Drew Jr High, Charles||9600 Wyoming||48204|
Drew Transition Center
Drew Jr High was built in 1969. It is currently the Charles R. Drew Transition Center. In the rear of the school there is a 4 acre farm with six hoop houses. The farm provide the school system with various greens, veggies, and other produce which is incorporated in the school menu.
|Duffield Elementary (1923)||2715 Macomb||48207|
Bunche Preparatory Academy
Duffield opened in 1924 and at that time it was the largest elementary school in Detroit. The school had two auditoriums, two kindergartens, two gymnasiums, and forty-four classrooms. The capacity of the school was 2240.
|Durfee Intermediate||2470 Collingwood||48206|
Durfee Elementary-Middle School
|10007460.||Yes||Built||Active||1927||1928||88||1561||540||35%||Durfee is an intermediate school that was part of the Roosevelt Group.|
|Earhart Jr High, Amelia (2010)||1000 Scotten||48209|
Earhart Elementary-Middle School
|14009491-502||Yes||Built||Active||2010||2011||5||1064||771||72%||Earhart Jr High was built in 2010 to replace the older school which was built in 1961.|
East English Village Preparatory Academy
East English Village Preparatory Academy
East English Village was built to replace Finney High School. Built in 2011 it is one of the newer schools to be built by DPS. It also includes Banks-Williamson Special.
17045 Grand River
Edison Elementary School
District No. 2 Redford was annexed to the City of Detroit in 1926. It was then changed to Grandmont School, and in 1929 became Edison.
|Emerson Elementary Jr High||18240 Huntington||48219|
Emerson Elementary-Middle School
|Farwell Jr High|
19955 Fenelon Street
|13009000-3||Yes||Built||Active||1963||1964||1970||52||974||530||54%||Farwell Jr High was built in 1963. It is currently the Mason Academy and it shares a parcel with the Van Zile School.|
|Field Elementary (1963)||1100 Sheridan||48214||Field, Moses|
A replacement building for the old Field, the school saw an increase in enrollment after the end of World War II. The older students were bussed to Barstow and some went to the new Berry School.
|Fleming Elementary||18501 Waltham||48205|
Fleming Early Learning
|21032920.||Yes||Built||Active||1962||1962||1989||54||0||0||Fleming Elementary was built in 1962. The program closed in 2010 and became Fleming Early Learning.|
Foreign Language Immersion & Cultural Studies
6501 W Outer Drive
Foreign Language Immersion & Cultural Studies
The former Catholic Central High School was purchased by DPS in 1978 and used for the Foreign Language Immersion & Cultural Studies.
|Gardner Elementary||6528 Mansfield||48228|
Gardner Elementary School
|22056849-50||Yes||Built||Active||1925||1926||1950||90||397||297||75%||Gardner was built in 1925 after annexation from Dearborn to fill the need of the growing area.|
Golightly Career / Technical Center
Davis Aerospace Technical High School at Golightly
|21000374-9||Yes||Built||Active||1982||1982||34||1071||349||33%||Originally the Golightly Career/Technical Center, now the Davis Aerospace Technical High School at Golightly.|
Golightly Horticulture / Floriculture Annex
Golightly CTC Agriscience
|15000001.||Yes||Leased||Active||1981||1981||0||0||The Golightly CTC Agriscience is located on Belle Isle and is a leased location which opened in 1981.|
Gompers Elementary-Middle (2011)
Gompers Elementary-Middle School
|22107015.||Yes||Built||Active||2010||2011||5||1064||821||77%||Gompers (2011) was built on the site of Harding and Shurly Schools.|
|Greenfield Union Elementary||420 W 7 Mile||48203|
Greenfield Union Elementary-Middle School
|01007050-0||Yes||Annexed||Active||1916||1914||1916||1930||1972||2002||100||893||391||44%||Greenfield Union was annexed to Detroit in 1916.|
|Hally Elementary||2585 Grove||48221|
Robeson/Malcolm X Academy
Hally was originally slated to close in 2011, but when Robeson/Malcom X Academy burned down the program moved into the school.
Hampton Elementary, Emma Stark
Palmer Park Preparatory Academy
Rapid population growth in the late thirties made the need for a third addition. The fourth addition was made possible due to the partnes of the district working to secure a new addition. The Hampton program closed in 2002 and it is currently the Palmer Park Preparatory Academy.
|Harms Elementary||2400 Central||48209|
Harms Elementary School
The opening of Harms in 1917 helped relieve the overcrowding the Bennett School faced. In the early years Harms was the center for cooking classes and served the surrounding schools. The school is currently active.
|Heilmann Park ES|
15510 E State Fair Ave
Fisher Magnet Lower Academy
|Yes||Built||Active||2001||2002||14||1088||523||48%||Originally built as Heilmann Park Elementary School in 2001, currently the Fisher Magnet Lower Accademy.|
|Heilmann Park MS|
15491 Maddelein Street
Fisher Magnet Upper Academy
|Yes||Built||Active||2001||2003||13||866||652||75%||Originally built as Heilmann Park Middle School in 2001. It is currently the Fisher Magnet Upper Accademy.|
|Holmes A. L. Elementary||8821 Georgia||48213|
Holmes, A.L. Elementary-Middle School
A.L. Holmes provided relief for the overcrowded schools Howe and Scripps. Children were bussed in from the other schools. In 1958 though Holmes also had a rising enrollment and the school had to get creative with the space to find room for all the children.
|Howe (2002)||2600 Garland||48214|
Hutchinson Elementary-Middle School at Howe
Built as a replacement for old Howe school in 2002. When Hutchinson closed, it was merged with Howe and renamed Hutchinson Elementary-Middle School at Howe.
|Jacoby Special, Arnold D||13210 Maine||48212||Jacoby|
Jacoby was built in 1931 as a school for children with learning disablilites under the supervision of the Department of Special Education. It is currently used by Davison School, located next door.
|Keidan Elementary, Harry||4441 Collingwood||48204|
Keidan Special Education Center
|14003629-36||Yes||Built||Active||1962||1963||53||492||265||54%||Keidan Elementary was built in 1962, and is now the Keidan Special Education Center.|
|King High School||3200 E Lafayette||48207|
King High School
Initially a replacement for Eastern High School, the name was changed to King in 1965 in response to student activism. Parts of the campus have since been demolished and rebuilt.
|Krolik Primary||10101 E Canfield||48214|
Detroit Lions Academy
Originally to be relief for St.Clair School. Krolik Alternative High was supposed to close in 2003 but instead became Detroit Lions Alternative School.
|Lee Development Center||9330 Shoemaker||48213|
Located in the former the Nativity Catholic High School, leased by DPS and opened in 1984. The Lee Trainable program closed in 1999. Now home to the Catherine C. Blackwell Institute.
|Lessenger Jr High||8401 Trinity||48228|
Dixon Educational Learning Academy
|No parcel||Yes||Built||Active||1963||1963||53||914||758||83%||Lessenger Jr High was built in 1963. In 2010 it became Dixon Educational Learning Academy and is currently active.|
|Mackenzie K-12 (2012)||10147 Chicago W||48204|
Mackenzie Elementary-Middle School
|18005552-4||Yes||Built||Active||2011||2012||4||1064||906||85%||Mackenzie (2012) replaced Mackenzie High School, which was located next door.|
|Mann Elementary, Horace (1942)||19625 Elmira||48228|
Mann Learning Community
The original Mann School was a portable but in 1942 construction began on a one story cinderblock building. Through the years children were often bussed to other schools due to having enrollment beyond its capacity until Weatherby opened in 1957. The school is currently active.
|Marquette Elementary||6145 Canyon||48224|
Marquette Elementary-Middle School
Opened in 1950. A feature of the school is the Remi Balduck Park which is aprroximately 60 acres. Next to the school was an enclosed nature study area the school could use teaching. A second unit was built next to the original in 2001.
|Maybury Elementary||4410 Porter||48209|
Maybury Elementary School
Maybury is a small elementary school in Southwest Detroit. Due to its age and proximity to recently renovated schools Maybury has been targeted for closure, but is the only Spanish-speaking school in the area.
|McKinstry Elementary (1905)||1981 McKinstry||48209|
McKinstry was built in the architectural style of Elizabethan. This was preserved when the school was selected for rehabilitation in 1961. Today it is home to the Clippert Academy.
|Munger K-12 (2012)||5525 Martin||48210|
Munger Elementary-Middle School
|18011125.||Yes||Built||Active||2011||2012||4||1064||786||74%||Munger was built in 2011 to replace the original school which was demolished in 2010.|
|Murray Wright High, Phillip||2001 W Warren||48208|
Douglass Academy for Young Men
|08008087-105||Yes||Built||Active||1964||1965||1975||51||1302||232||18%||Murray Wright High was built in 1964. In 2007 it became the Douglass Academy for Young Men.|
|Neinas Elementary||6021 McMillan||48209|
Neinas Dual Language Learning Academy
|16015120.||Yes||Built||Active||1916||1917||1923||1948||99||499||268||54%||Neinas Elementary was built in 1916. It is currently active and known as Neinas Dual Language Learning Academy.|
|Nichols (1910)||3020 Burns||48214|
Nichols Elementary-Middle School
In 1954 a remodeling program was initialed that consisted of a sound proof instrumental room and a modern art room.
Noble Elementary Jr High, Edna Chaffee
Noble Elementary-Middle School
Noble had overcrowding issues due to the rapidly growing district. The Board of Education had to rent out classrooms from a nearby church and the old town hall. There was relief when the 7th and 8th grade students went to the newly opened Tappan school in 1930. Noble is currently active.
|Northern High||9026 Woodward||48202|
Detroit International Academy for Young Women
Northern was built in 1915. Became the Detroit International Academy for Young Women in 2007. Second gymnasium was built later on, but demolished in 1980 when the new addition was built.
|Northwestern High (1969)|
2200 West Grand Blvd
Detroit Collegiate Preparatory High School at Northwestern
The first two units were built in 1969, and the center unit was built in 1977. Became Detroit Collegiate Preparatory High School at Northwestern in 2014.
|Osborn High||11600 E 7 Mile||48205|
Osborn High School
|21020928.||Yes||Built||Active||1956||1957||1961||1962||59||1891||809||43%||Osborn High was built in 1956.|
|Pasteur Elementary, Louis E||19811 Stoepel||48221|
Pasteur Elementary School
Pasteur was built in 1930, it was brick with stone trim buiding with a flat roof and steam heated. The school had a couple additions due to population growth and is currently active.
|Pelham Junior High, Benjamin F|
2001 Martin Luther King
Burton International Academy
Pelham was built in 1963. In 2006 it became Owen and in 2010 it became Burton International Academy and is currently active.
|Priest Elementary||7840 Wagner||48210|
Priest Elementary-Middle School
|20008618.||Yes||Built||Active||1923||1924||1925||1931||2002||92||1161||761||66%||Priest was built in 1923 and had a recent addition in 2002. In 2009 the school became an elementary / middle school.|
|Pulaski Elementary||19725 Strasburg||48205|
Pulaski Elementary-Middle School
Since the school was built enrollment increased requiring the need for additions. With the third addition came a kitchen and the lunchroom began serving hot lunches. The school is currently active.
Randolph Technical High School, White, Jerry L. Center
Randolph was built in 1982. It is currently a technical school named Randolph Technical High School, with the White, Jerry L. Center on the same parcel.
|Renaissance High School|
6565 W Outer Drive
Renaissance High School
|22014006.||Yes||Built||Active||2002||2005||11||1169||1154||99%||Renaissance HS is a newer school which was built in 2002 and opened three years later. It is currently active.|
|Richard Elementary Junior High||13840 Lappin||48205|
Adult Ed Center - East
|21021105.||Yes||Built||Active||1929||1929||1931||87||0||0||In 2009 Richard Elementary became the Adult Ed Center - East.|
|Robinson, Remus (1977)||13000 Essex||48215|
Carstens Academy of Aquatic Science at Remus
From at least 1972, Robinson was located in the former St. Martin of Tours Catholic School. A new building was constructed and opened in 1977. Carstens Elementary moved into the building, which is now called Carstens at Robinson.
|Schulze Elementary (2002)|
10700 Santa Maria
Schulze Academy for Technology and Arts
|16045430.001||Yes||Built||Active||2002||2002||14||749||574||77%||Built in 2002 to replace an older building. It is currently the Schulze Academy for Technology and Arts.|
|Spain Junior High||3700 Beaubien||48201|
Spain Elementary-Middle School
|03000846-99||Yes||Built||Active||1963||1963||2001||53||693||446||64%||Spain was built in 1963 and merged with Lincoln.|
|Taft Junior High||19501 Berg||48219|
Ludington Magnet Middle School
|22119359-68||Yes||Built||Active||1962||1963||53||1125||586||52%||Taft was built in 1962 and closed in 2010. It became Langston Hughes, then became Luddington Magnate in 2012.|
|Thirkell Elementary, Isabell F||7724 14th St||48206|
Thirkell Elementary-Middle School
The Board of Education decided a new building was needed in the growing neighborhood of Thirkell in 1913. When the school first opened however the teachers had to canvass the area in order to fill it. By 1921 the district was rapidly growing. More recently the school faced closure, but was instead put into turnaround and has since improved its test scores.
|Vernor Elementary||13726 Pembroke||48235|
Vernor Elementary School
Vernor Elementary was built with glass block construction which increased natural daylight. Renamed Barbara Jordan in 2000.
12300 Linnhurst St
Turning Point Academy
When the McKeever Housing Project was built next to the school it was necessary to rent out their community building for additional class space. Currently Turning Point School.
|Wayne Elementary, Anthony||10633 Courville||48224|
Wayne Elementary School
|21065001.||Yes||Built||Active||1928||1930||1931||1949||86||606||313||52%||Wayne school was built in 1928.|
|Webber Junior High||4700 Tireman||48204|
Sampson-Webber Leadership Academy
|14001472-502||Yes||Built||Active||1964||1964||1966||52||1101||381||35%||Webber was built in 1964. It is currently the Sampson-Webber Leadership Academy.|
|Western High School (1937)||1500 Scotten||48209|
Western International High School
Western High School replaced a previous building that had burned down. After a major renovation and addition in 2011, it was renamed Western International High School. Earhart is located on the same campus.
Wright Academy of Arts and Science
Wright Academy of Arts and Science
|22119359-68||Yes||Built||Active||2002||2002||14||739||486||66%||The Wright Academy of Arts and Science was built in 2002 and consists of three buildings on the parcel.|
|Young, Coleman A||15771 Hubbell||48227|
Young, Coleman A. Elementary
|22039946-7||Yes||Built||Active||1982||1982||34||718||451||63%||The Coleman A. Young Elementary was built in 1982 and is currently active.|
|Atkinson Elementary, Edmund||4900 E Hildale||48234|
Vacant, then Charter
In the early years Atkinson was a platoon school with the program K-8. After closing in 2007 it was reopened as a charter in 2010.
|Cleveland Jr High, Elizabeth||13200 Conant||48212|
Frontier International Academy
Vacant, then Charter
Cleveland was a junior high school until it closed in 2008 due to low enrollment. The school later reopened as a charter academy.
Courtis Elementary (Stewart Appleton)
|8100 W Davison||48238|
Andrew Young Early College Academy
|16005816-28||Yes||Built||Charter||1965||1966||2009||Charter||Charter||Courtis was built in 1965. It became the Andrew Young Early College Academy in 2009 until it closed in 2013.|
3550 Lodge Service Dr
In 1956 the school opened to 1670 students. Also known as Dewey School, and from 2005-2010 was home ot the Malcolm X program. After closing it was a music school, but is now used by a charter school.
|Doty Elementary, Duane||10225 Third||48202|
Boykin Continuing Education Center
Vacant, then Charter
|Charter||After closing in 2010, Doty was renovated and turned into a charter school.|
|Dow Elementary||19900 McIntyre||48219|
Dow was built in 1952 and closed in 2002. It then became Lanston Hughes which closed in 2010. Today Dow is currently a charter.