Developer Meeting - PO Thoughts
 Share
The version of the browser you are using is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser.Dismiss

 
$
%
123
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAAABACADAE
1
On May 1-3, 2019, the project is considering holding a developers’ working meeting, similar to past developers’ meetings, rather than a larger-scale, full community WOLFcon that would include other projects in the Open Library Foundation. The larger scale WOLFcon event will tentatively take place in January 2020 to allow more time for planning.

The meeting in May be will be invite only and the Outreach SIG would like your assistance in determining who needs to attend the meeting.

Can you please think about developers and subject matter experts from your group who you feel need to be at this face-to-face meeting and fill out the sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ziBXzjz0xq4wj6A6DsQ1zElvYnqKDpz4cYns2CWGac/edit?usp=sharing

In addition to providing lists of who should attend, the stakeholders would also like to hear from the PC, POs and SIGs why an in-person meeting would be valuable and what goals each group has for the meeting.
2
3
Topic/GoalDescriptionAdded byWhy face-to-face best?Desired AttendeesWhy Devs are neededWhy SMEs are neededSpecific Devs needed, if knownSpecific SMEs needed, if knownComments/Questions
4
Overrides Resource Access SIG wants to be able to override everything so that a staff member or student who is working is able to call over a supervisor with the correct permissions to allow a transaction to go through.Holly
5
Cross-team processes and coordination (retrospective?)For cross-team coordination, what works well, what could be better and action items.CateGeneral cross-team meetings are often not prioritized in our day-to-day operations. This would be a good opportunity to do so and having folks in person will help develop trust and collaboration Developers, POs, Scrum mastersTo discuss developer challenges N/A
6
PO processes (retrospective?)Maybe another retrospective here or just a meeting to discuss PO processes and tools - what's working, what could be improvedCateCould be done remotely, but face-to-face encourages more participation from all POs which results in more ideas and better outcomesPOs, maybe scrum mastersN/AN/A
7
Circulation synch (requests, loans, loan rules, notices etc)Opportunity to look at the big picture for circulation and make sure we (POs and developers) understand how everything should fit togetherCateWe often don't prioritize cross-team and big picture discussions in our day-to-day operations. This would be an opportunity to share knowledge and gather broader input/insights from POs and Devs Circ POs, circ devs, maybe scrum masters and/or key SIG membersPOs are pretty well synched on circ work already - the main goal here would be to get the benefit of developer questions and comments.SMEs could be helpful if a question arises that can't be answered by the POs.
8
Architectural PrioritiesOportunity to plan and discuss possible course corrections for issues resulting from the short term development focus of our day to day agile workflowDennisIt is difficult to gather all the voices needed to properly vet these larger issues. A face to face would help provide focused attention from the necessary authorities and, more importantly, afford those who are generally cought up in smaller details the time to listen and ask questions.Architects, POs, Dev Leads, Technical PC MembersThey will have questions and need to keep these priorities in mind when contributing to the development of implementation requirements and supporting other developers.I don't think they would be.Craig McNally (ACQ), Niels Erik (INV), just to name a few
9
Make the FOLIO dev community more cohesiveEPAM teams are a large portion of the FOLIO dev community, but are not in F2F meetings. They need to be a on equal footing with the rest of the existing devs, who have been meeting F2F. EPAM, Stacks, AtCult too.Ann-MarieWe have time zone problems with live meetings. For example, the Acq Devs span 9 time zonesAt least the leads from all dev teams; scrum masters; POs; preferably all devsBecause this topic is specifically focused on themI'm not sure they are needed in this regard. For this group, the POs are basically the SMEs.At least the dev leads for each teamScrum masters, POs for each dev team
10
Explore and improve the automated testingShare experiences with automated testing; have some of the teams with high % coverage present on how they incorporate test writing into their dev workAnn-MarieHuge variations in test coverage across the various apps. Sharing experiences with all being perceived as equals in a F2F meeting would be helpful.At least the leads from all dev teams; AntonBecause we need more automated testingThey're notAt least the leads from all dev teams; AntonMaybe the scrum masters & POs, if this will impact backlogs and team priorities
11
Discuss the flow of bibliographic data across the systemDiscuss how all the apps interact in relation to bibliographic data (which probably touches all apps except Users, Vendors, Finance)Ann-MarieWalk through a few pre-defined case studies, to ensure the technical details of the data flows are understood, e.g. How a new or updated MARC record affects Inventory Instance and MARCcat. How an eResource may be represented in the eApps, but also Inventory, Orders, and SRS/MARCcatAt least the leads from all dev teams; scrum masters; POs; preferably all devsThis is the heart of much of the data that needs to interact across our various apps. Devs will make it work or not.POs/Scrum masters are needed to provide conetxt and make sure the devs are staying on trackAt least the leads from all dev teamsScrum masters, POs for each dev team
12
Money and FOLIOVery targeted; but a way to discuss how money is handled in FOLIO, which affects Fines/Fees and Acquisitions. (and are there any other POs or Dev teams dealing with money?)Ann-MarieThese are 2 teams that usually don't intersect in our day to day workUNAM, Acq-DevMake sure we're consistent with how currencies are displayed, exchange rates, base currency POs are key to helping clarify any UI or SME needsThunderjet, Stacks, EBSCO Acq Dev, UNAM - at least the lead devsHolly, A-M, Dennis, Victoria
13
Acq Units/TeamsDiscuss how the team concept can be implemented across FOLIO. We were previously thinking about this as only acquisitions units within a tenant, but it expanded to a broader teams concept. How would that affect permissions and architecture within apps and across apps?Ann-MarieImportant concept for Acq, maybe for circ?TBDTo understand what the teams functionality will be, and how it should be constructed or interact with individual appsClarify any UI and funxtionality questionsTBDTBDnot sure if this is needed, but I was on a roll, so I added it
14
Dev onboardingSean
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
Loading...