Red Snapper and Hogfish ACL (Responses)
 Share
The version of the browser you are using is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser.Dismiss

View only
 
 
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1
TimestampEnter your full nameemail addressCity, State, Zip CodeCheck all that applyComments
2
7/18/2018 9:45:30testtesttestOthertest
3
8/3/18Hutch Thompsonbankerhutch@aol.comOkay, as I type this I try not to let my emotions get the best of me. Look at the picture below on the allocations. Whatever the TOTAL ALLOWABLE CATCH ends up being every year, they GMFMC gives 51% of that amount to the 386 commercial fishing boats (per GMFMC numbers). YES, 386 commercial fishing boats in the total GULF OF MEXICO. Okay, now they take the remaining 49% and give 42.3% to CHARTER BOAT "FOR PROFIT" to the 1208 charter boats (per GMFMC) in the GULF OF MEXICO. Charter boat captains will say we're providing a service for people without boats. Yes they are, but they should NOT HAVE A RESERVED allotment of fish that the only way to access these fish is to pay them THOUSANDS of dollars. Think about your work, wouldn't it be nice if the federal government reserved a large allotment of some inventory, which you had to pay another for it, and the public could only access it by paying you? Must be nice. Check the price of chartering a boat for 6-10 people. So, do the math, the remaining 57.7% goes to the 3,000,000 - 4,500,000 MILLION recreational fisherman. 57.7% seems like a nice number until you realize that is 1/4 of the TOTAL ALLOWABLE CATCH!! Please tell me how 386 commercial and 1208 charter boats have more rights than the 3,000,000 - 4,500,000 recreational anglers!!!! The injustice is giving 75% of the allowable catch, whatever they GMFC decides, to PRIVATE "FOR PROFIT" individuals!!!!

These fish BELONG to the citizens of the United States of America and they are a GREAT NATURAL RESOURCE. BUT AGAIN, allowing 75% of the resource to be restricted for the PRIVATE for profit use of 1594 individual boats!!!! GMFMC, YOU WORK FOR THE CITIZENS, WE PAY YOU SALARIES THROUGH TAXES, YOU NEED TO REMEMBER THIS FACT!!!!
4
8/3/18Robert ThomasIncrease the Reds. They are everywhere. Can’t catch a Hogfish because the Red Snapper are in the way. Hogfish can only be speared in the gulf. Keep them the same. Don’t reduce.
5
8/7/18Mark PrimoBlah Blah Blah - What good is the Council? You can’t even get very many people to view this video. Stop having seasonal closures. You should manage the fisheries only with limits, gear reatrictions, and establishing small area sanctuaries. You should also allow anyone to sell their catch. Monitor catch data at the buyers. It is much easier.
6
6/22/18Dylan Hubbarddhubbard@hubbardsmarina.comMadeira Beach, FLfor-hireHogfish
The update assessment showing the great uncertainty which is causing a ‘forced’ ACL adjustment down due to SSC ABC recommendation is very frustrating when we just did a large 16% increase in minimum size as well. However, I do want to go on record as saying due to potential decreases in other fisheries quotas like red grouper and perhaps gag and maybe even mangrove snapper more effort will shift to hook and line hog fishing which is becoming more and more popular along the west Florida shelf and I feel the unintended consequences here of this ACL adjustment and effort shift may cause future problems in this directed fishery. Hogfish are becoming a preferred targeted hook and line species by many near shore state water guides and even federally permitted guides while other deep-water species like jacks, gags and red snapper are closed along the west Florida shelf. I want the council to be weary of these unintended consequences moving forward with such dramatic ACL adjustments when a recent min size increase was not considered in this ‘uncertain’ recent assessment
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
Loading...
Main menu