OER-DISCUSS Summary
 Share
The version of the browser you are using is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser.Dismiss

 
View only
 
 
Still loading...
ABCDEFGHIJKLM
1
subjectsubject_normallinksnippetfromdateinstigatorrepliesTop InstigatorsNo.% with reply
2
BuddyPress, Bebop and building the staff directoryBuddyPress, Bebop and building the staff directoryhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=4133Dear all, Some of you may be interested in the outputs of Bebop, a JISC-funded Rapid Innovation Project. The project finished on Friday and there\'s a roundup of what has been achieved here:https://bebop.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/2012/10/11/buddypress-bebop-and-building-the-staff-directory/More detail on the BuddyPress plugin that\'s been developed is here:http://bebop.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/2012/11/02/the-bebop-plugin-and-documentation/Recent posts on the blog also discuss the lessons learned, the impact of the project and provide a full list of outputs. [...]Joss Winn2012-11-05#REF!#REF!#REF!10%
3
End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=20487Hello all, I can\'t be in London today, so I\'m kind of joining the end of programme discussion from afar. The last three years have been great. Atone of the early planning meetings someone (Andy Powell, I think) saidthat one measure of whether the programme was successful could be thewidespread recognition of UKOER / OER as an idea within UK F&HE and theexistence of a community around it. I\'m pretty sure that has happened,not just because of UKOER but we were there and helped. So well done allof us :) [...]Phil Barker2012-11-13#DIV/0!
4
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=21178I can\'t be there either (sounds like an interesting meeting to reflect on some of the lessons learned) but agree Phil with your thoughts here. I hope our final oer3 report (currently in progress) will highlight some of those factors that can support sustainability.Such excellent work by the projects across the three years... [...]Lou McGill2012-11-13#DIV/0!
5
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=21697I am presenting on UKOER to Lindon health librarians today so can\'t be at the meeting either. I would hope that this list will stay open and active if nothing else.....SuzanneSent from my iPhone. Apologies for brevity. 07790 905657.On 13 Nov 2012, at 11:45, "Lou McGill" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> I can\'t be there either (sounds like an interesting meeting to reflect on some of the lessons learned) but agree Phil with your thoughts here.>> I hope our final oer3 report (currently in progress) will highlight some of those factors that can support sustainability.>> [...]Suzanne Hardy2012-11-13#DIV/0!
6
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=22521Suzanne I am sure that Tim Seal and Jonathan Darby (here at the London event today) will have something to say about the OE SIG presently. But given the quantity and quality and diversity of submissions to OER13 there is a huge interest in continuing to add to and share evidence and experiences around OER. Many of the submissions centre on wok whhich originated as part of the UK OER programme, but not all. David Kernohan has been mentioning the S-word (sustainability). The spread outwards in well on the way, and on this list joining with other activity and activity [...]Chris.Pegler2012-11-13#DIV/0!
7
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=23309Be good to organise something before March - i always thought an OER networking site would be handy (some buddypress like thing), or an#openedchat on twitter maybe?On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Chris.Pegler <[log in to unmask]>wrote:> Suzanne>> I am sure that Tim Seal and Jonathan Darby (here at the London event> today) will have something to say about the OE SIG presently. But given the> quantity and quality and diversity of submissions to OER13 there is a huge> interest in continuing to add to and share evidence and experiences around> OER. [...]Pat Lockley2012-11-13#DIV/0!
8
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=24133+1 on buddypress site. Recently been thinking that an open education equivalent of academia.edu might be useful. Lincoln\'s Bebop plugincould be used to allow members to aggregate resources they produceMartinOn 13 November 2012 22:02, Pat Lockley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Be good to organise something before March - i always thought an OER> networking site would be handy (some buddypress like thing), or an> #openedchat on twitter maybe?>>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Chris.Pegler <[log in to unmask]>> wrote:>>>> Suzanne>>>> I am sure that Tim Seal and Jonathan [...]Martin Hawksey2012-11-13#DIV/0!
9
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=25003Possibly a silly question...but I should stop tagging new resources ukoer?! Sent from my HTC----- Reply message -----From: "Martin Hawksey" <[log in to unmask]>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>Subject: End of programme, now what?Date: Tue, Nov 13, 2012 10:43 pm+1 on buddypress site. Recently been thinking that an open educationequivalent of academia.edu might be useful. Lincoln\'s Bebop plugincould be used to allow members to aggregate resources they produce [...]Sheppard, Nick2012-11-14#DIV/0!
10
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=25745I guess it depends if you now see ukoer as a programme or a community On 14 November 2012 08:54, Sheppard, Nick <[log in to unmask]>wrote:> Possibly a silly question...but I should stop tagging new resources> ukoer?!>> Sent from my HTC>> ----- Reply message -----> From: "Martin Hawksey" <[log in to unmask]>> To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: End of programme, now what?> Date: Tue, Nov 13, 2012 10:43 pm>>>> +1 on buddypress site. Recently been thinking that an open education> equivalent of academia.edu might be useful. Lincoln\'s Bebop plugin> could be [...]Martin Hawksey2012-11-14#DIV/0!
11
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=26636+1 more on buddypress site #openedchat on Twitter sounds good too - be interested to hear how others might like this to work (formal/informal, organised time/serendipitous tag watching, frequency etc)SSuzanne Hardy2012-11-14#DIV/0!
12
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=27043I\'d say continuing to use the ukoer tag would be a useful thing to do, bit in terms of community reinforcement, programme sustainability, and even for being able to identify UK based open resources! Hey, someone might even think about measuring impact at some point in the future..... You never know, it might catch on... :PSuzanne Hardy2012-11-14#DIV/0!
13
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=27569I agree. Continuing to use the ukoer tag would be proof that the community and the work are sustainable beyond the funded period - and would be a sensible way of continuing to make our resources findable :) GabiFrom: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Suzanne HardySent: 14 November 2012 10:02To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what? [...]Witthaus, Gabi R.2012-11-14#DIV/0!
14
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=28215The problem with tagging things is though, what is looking for tags and will people find them?I would guess if you are aggregating it\'d be handy, but most UKOER feedsare all UKOER, so you don\'t need to filter.On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Witthaus, Gabi R. <[log in to unmask]>wrote:> I agree. Continuing to use the ukoer tag would be proof that the community> and the work are sustainable beyond the funded period – and would be a> sensible way of continuing to make our resources findable J****>>> Gabi****>> ** [...]Pat Lockley2012-11-14#DIV/0!
15
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=29016Hi all, I initially thought we were just talking about hashtags in Tweets, and tagging other discussions *about* UKOER with "UKOER". But if we\'re talking about tagging actual OERs with "UKOER", it will mess up our data a bit at Jorum- we won\'t be able to differentiate between OERs produced as part of the funded UKOER programmes, and other OERs produced in the UK. So for that I would suggest we come up with another approach to tagging. [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
16
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=29676and lo, speak of metadata and it will appear. On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Sarah Currier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Hi all,****>> ** **>> I initially thought we were just talking about hashtags in Tweets, and> tagging other discussions **about** UKOER with “UKOER”. But if we’re> talking about tagging actual OERs with “UKOER”, it will mess up our data a> bit at Jorum- we won’t be able to differentiate between OERs produced as> part of the funded UKOER programmes, and other OERs produced in the UK. So> for [...]Pat Lockley2012-11-14#DIV/0!
17
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=30482The end of the programme but the start of the revolution! I think tagging is useful from a community and conversational perspective - being able to aggregate the continuing discussions and developments.Tagging resources as ukoer might not be so useful - these should be tagged more appropriately with data that a potential end user might need (e.g. subject/level/type) [...]Thomson, Simon2012-11-14#DIV/0!
18
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=31066I\'m with Sarah on this. If we want a mechanism for identifying which resources were shared (wherever) as a result of the UKOER programme then it only makes sense to attach that tag to those resources funded under that programme. If we want a mechanism for identifying ukoer resources post-funding as well then it makes sense to use a different tag. [...]Jacqueline Carter2012-11-14#DIV/0!
19
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=31640Hi Simon, It\'s a good idea to tag your OERs with anything you may need to later find, aggregate or track it by. The community has expressed some pretty strong requirements for data being made accessible to visualise and report on impact, so we at Jorum are encouraging folk who deposit with us to make sure they include both project and programme specific tags to enable later gathering of data about projects and programmes (and anything else you may wish to know about). As those who attended yesterday\'s final OER Programme Meeting know, we will soon be offering the ability [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
20
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=32439This was asked a few years ago I think (on this list) - and the gist was it was good for UKOER to be open for everyone. WW1C put UKOER on out stuff,but we weren\'t UKOERUh-ohOn Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Jacqueline Carter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> I’m with Sarah on this. If we want a mechanism for identifying which> resources were shared (wherever) as a result of the UKOER programme then it> only makes sense to attach that tag to those resources funded under that> programme.****>>> If we [...]Pat Lockley2012-11-14#DIV/0!
21
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=33231No. ukoer as a tag (both as a hashtag and as a tag on resources etc) is and always has been owned by the community that uses it. As long as itremains useful - keep using it.DavidOn Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:54:44 -0000, Sheppard, Nick<[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Possibly a silly question...but I should stop tagging new resources> ukoer?!>> Sent from my HTC>> ----- Reply message -----> From: "Martin Hawksey" <[log in to unmask]>> To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: End of programme, now what?> Date: Tue, Nov 13, 2012 10:43 pm> [...]David Kernohan2012-11-14#DIV/0!
22
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=34080Yes, that\'s true Pat but you were a JISC project funded to create OERs(I did think of that project as I was typing my last email :) ). It kind of loses its meaning if it\'s attached to literally any UK-origin OER- and there are other ways to track those, surely. [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
23
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=34556Hi, David, et al., Correct me if I\'m wrong, but weren\'t the resources created for both UKOER1 and 2 all meant to be tagged as UKOER when they were to be uploaded into a repository? Or was that just for the case with uploading them for some contests, such as the jorum competition at ALT-C? I note that searching for the tag now in jorum gets you 9983 hits: http://dspace.jorum.ac.uk/xmlui/advanced-search?_method=POST&field2=licence&query2=creativecommons.org&query1=%22UKOER%22 Best, Frank Dr. Frank C. Manista Mimas The University of Manchester 5th Floor Roscoe Building M13 9PL 0161 275 0155 (external) 50155 (internal) ________________________________________ From: Open Educational Resources [[log in to unmask]] on [...]Frank Manista2012-11-14#DIV/0!
24
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=35497Phil Barker of cetis started this discussion and I blame him for all failures in tagging taxonomy that have occurred forthwithHere is the old discuss for re-use fanshttps://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=OER-DISCUSS;1bd77516.1101On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Sarah Currier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Yes, that’s true Pat but you were a JISC project funded to create OERs(I> did think of that project as I was typing my last email J ). It kind of> loses its meaning if it’s attached to literally any UK-origin OER- and> there are other ways to track those, surely.****>> [...]Pat Lockley2012-11-14#DIV/0!
25
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=36374Yes, they were (and have been, except where projects forgot to do it! Have come across a few of those). Martin Hawksey at CETIS has already done extensive work around extracting and visualising data from Jorum for the UK OER project outputs. S.-----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frank ManistaSent: 14 November 2012 12:46To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what? [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
26
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=37083Re WW1 - I don\'t think they\'ve submitted yet? On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Sarah Currier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Yes, they were (and have been, except where projects forgot to do it! Have> come across a few of those). Martin Hawksey at CETIS has already done> extensive work around extracting and visualising data from Jorum for the UK> OER project outputs.>> S.>> -----Original Message-----> From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On> Behalf Of Frank Manista> Sent: 14 November 2012 12:46> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: End [...]Pat Lockley2012-11-14#DIV/0!
27
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=37962Yes, they\'ve been in Jorum for ages Pat! Because we agreed with the project (not sure if this was before or after you left) to tag all the resources WW1C, it\'s easy to find \'em: http://dspace.jorum.ac.uk/xmlui/advanced-search?_method=POST&field2=licence&query2=creativecommons.org&query1=WW1C or http://dspace.jorum.ac.uk/xmlui/browse?value=ww1c&type=subject - a case in point. S.From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pat LockleySent: 14 November 2012 12:52To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what? [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
28
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=38775We seem to have lost some of the contribution to this thread as a result of replies crossing - please do let us know if identifying release of OER according to funding matters (see my question in response to Sarah\'s at 12.35) JackieDr Jackie Carter | Mimas Senior Manager: Learning and Teaching and Social Science Data Services | University of Manchester, UK | +44-161 275 6725 | mob 077474 60963 : twitter; JackieCarterco-chair for OER13 conference [...]Jacqueline Carter2012-11-14#DIV/0!
29
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=39502My point was: it\'s been very useful to date having a single tag for JISC programme funded OERs to find, track, aggregate and use data about them. And it\'s not useful to just tag any OER created in the UK with it. S.-----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David KernohanSent: 14 November 2012 12:40To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what? [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
30
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=40183Why not? -----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah CurrierSent: 14 November 2012 13:02To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what?My point was: it\'s been very useful to date having a single tag for JISC programme funded OERs to find, track, aggregate and use data about them. And it\'s not useful to just tag any OER created in the UK with it. [...]Julian Tenney2012-11-14#DIV/0!
31
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=40881I\'m thinking there is a time-based way to slice it ... just discussing with DK -----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julian TenneySent: 14 November 2012 13:02To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what?Why not?-----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah CurrierSent: 14 November 2012 13:02To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what? [...]Amber THOMAS2012-11-14#DIV/0!
32
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=41666Hi All David and I just discussed this on skype, i agree with him that the ukoer tag can usefully continue.Actually - it\'s fantastic that it\'s not us initiating this decision! Shows that the stakeholders in the ongoing release of OER are not just JISC or HEA, which is brilliant.We always have the date of release as a way of slicing it.So the history of ukoer might be2009-2012 - funded release2013 onwards - independent releaseFor tracking impact of funding, the relationship between that funded phase and independent phase will be of interest to future [...]Amber THOMAS2012-11-14#DIV/0!
33
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=42465So we\'ve agreed on the hashtag for the future then? And the rest......On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Amber THOMAS <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Hi All>> David and I just discussed this on skype, i agree with him that the ukoer> tag can usefully continue.>> Actually - it\'s fantastic that it\'s not us initiating this decision! Shows> that the stakeholders in the ongoing release of OER are not just JISC or> HEA, which is brilliant.>> We always have the date of release as a way of slicing it.> [...]Pat Lockley2012-11-14#DIV/0!
34
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=43244Just with reference to the usefulness criteria I mentioned earlier Julian- we want to be able to extract data about the OERs produced as part of the funded UK OER Programmes, uniquely. There may be other reasons why it *is* useful to apply this tag to virtually anything by anyone who happens to be on this list and remembers to do it- but no one has mentioned any yet and I can\'t think of any. [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
35
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=43853Hi everyone, Just to throw another thought into the pot, and not having read indetail all the previous emails because I\'m tucking into a bacon sandwichinstead, :) UKOER represents something more as a brand almost now.Having been around the US this summer, people do recognise it and referto it. I don\'t think we should lose that momentum and value, having anidentify will be important in future communications, and I\'m proud to beand remain part of it. [...]Vivien Rolfe2012-11-14#DIV/0!
36
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=44544I thought it just might be that the UKOER movement is bigger than this list and those projects. I think of ukoer as the movement, rather than the projects. -----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah CurrierSent: 14 November 2012 13:24To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what? [...]Julian Tenney2012-11-14#DIV/0!
37
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=45169I have tonnes of stuff I have made in my own time I\'d call UKOER, but not tag it as thatOn Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Julian Tenney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> I thought it just might be that the UKOER movement is bigger than this> list and those projects. I think of ukoer as the movement, rather than the> projects.>> -----Original Message-----> From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On> Behalf Of Sarah Currier> Sent: 14 November 2012 13:24> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: End of programme, now what?> [...]Pat Lockley2012-11-14#DIV/0!
38
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=46022Amber\'s use of the word \'corpus\' reminded me of the Denham report http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/committees/jiie/27/jiie_08_18_annexc.pdfI can\'t find the letter from Ron Cooke to Malcolm Read but I\'m sure that\'s what kick-started all of this in terms of the funding anyway (and Lou McGill I\'m told).JackieDr Jackie Carter | Mimas Senior Manager: Learning and Teaching and Social Science Data Services | University of Manchester, UK | +44-161 275 6725 | mob 077474 60963 : twitter; JackieCarterco-chair for OER13 conference [...]Jacqueline Carter2012-11-14#DIV/0!
39
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=46801Suzanne Hardy has just asked me a valid question - are there any precedents for growing a community like this post-funding. Yes ... 2 that I can think of ...In UK further education we had the Information and Learning Technologies (ILT) Champions scheme back in the late 1990s. Initially they were funded, and then were key to the national learning network (NLN) work. They continue as a peer supported list/group to this day. [...]Amber THOMAS2012-11-14#DIV/0!
40
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=47446Hi all, I still disagree, but I may be scarred from the past few months of establishing requirements, developing the functionality to provide data, and cleaning up the metadata provided to date so that the functionality provides useful data outputs.The "by date" idea relies on people providing accurate release dates in their metadata. We will still be ingesting previously funded UKOER content next year for instance so we can\'t go by date of upload. [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
41
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=48128"I would be remiss to not express my misgivings" - which include the fact that it\'s harder to disambiguate a large number of resources with the same tag expressing different properties ("funded by UKOER" *and* "produced by member of UK OER community"), than to just have a new tag that expresses the new property. [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
42
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=48656Hi Folks Been following this from the side. I agree with Amber and David - sensibleand pragmatic solution, time slicing works for me. If it is a bit messy Ithink it is well worth it for the community aspect - after all educationis an inherently \'messy\' business :-) that never fits cleanly with ourambitions for metadata - we should know that by now :-) [...]John Casey2012-11-14#DIV/0!
43
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=49204You people: I keep thinking it\'s Friday! It\'s traditional for discussions like this to blow up on a Friday. S.-----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John CaseySent: 14 November 2012 13:37To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what?Hi FolksBeen following this from the side. I agree with Amber and David - sensible and pragmatic solution, time slicing works for me. If it is a bit messy I think it is well worth it for the community aspect - after all education is an inherently \'messy\' business :-) that never fits [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
44
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=50075I like that idea of "messy", John, when it comes to education. Anna Hiley, a proponent of EBL, likes to use the term "wiked problems" when it comes to those where there is no clear cut or neat answer, but a series of possibilities, none of which are perfect. Your own use of an ecosystem (or even your fruit and veg stand!) of reuse certainly underscores that as well. Thanks! Best, Frank Dr. Frank C. Manista Mimas The University of Manchester 5th Floor Roscoe Building M13 9PL 0161 275 0155 (external) 50155 (internal) ________________________________________ From: Open Educational Resources [[log in to unmask]] on [...]Frank Manista2012-11-14#DIV/0!
45
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=50914> we want to be able to extract data about the OERs produced as part of the funded UK OER Programmes, uniquely. Good luck! ;)The problem is the programme turned into a community long ago sopeople who were never funded were depositing stuff as ukoerhttp://hawksey.info/maps/oer-records.htmlOn 14 November 2012 13:23, Sarah Currier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Just with reference to the usefulness criteria I mentioned earlier Julian- we want to be able to extract data about the OERs produced as part of the funded UK OER Programmes, uniquely. There may be other reasons why it *is* useful to [...]Martin Hawksey2012-11-14#DIV/0!
46
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=51766Dear All, ESRC (and possibly other research council) funded projects are required to submit an impact report 12 months after the funding ends. That\'s why I asked my question about does mapping OER to funding matter. I\'m hearing no. That\'s fine - although as impact is so important for everything we do now I\'m not sure I agree wholeheartedly with the consensus being reached via this list. [...]Jacqueline Carter2012-11-14#DIV/0!
47
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=52381Let all just use JACS codes instead martin_hamilton: Revisiting the #JACS code as hash tag and universalcourse identifier for #coursedata aggregation purposes, cf #ukoerOriginal Tweet: http://twitter.com/martin_hamilton/statuses/268717281452896256[runs away]On 14 November 2012 13:51, Jacqueline Carter<[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Dear All,>> ESRC (and possibly other research council) funded projects are required to submit an impact report 12 months after the funding ends. That\'s why I asked my question about does mapping OER to funding matter. I\'m hearing no. That\'s fine - although as impact is so important for everything we do now I\'m not sure I agree [...]Martin Hawksey2012-11-14#DIV/0!
48
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=53316On 14/11/2012 13:37, Sarah Currier wrote: > "I would be remiss to not express my misgivings" - which include the fact that it\'s harder to disambiguate a large number of resources with the same tag expressing different properties ("funded by UKOER" *and* "produced by member of UK OER community"), than to just have a new tag that expresses the new property.And [...]Phil Barker2012-11-14#DIV/0!
49
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=53854>> we want to be able to extract data about the OERs produced as part of the funded UK OER Programmes, uniquely. > Good luck! ;)> The problem is the programme turned into a community long ago so people who were never funded were depositing stuff as ukoer http://hawksey.info/maps/oer-records.htmlHow do you know that Martin? The link you\'ve given doesn\'t give me any clues. I haven\'t come across any myself, but I know they must be in there - just wondering how you found them. [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
50
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=54568Hark unto Phil, for he speaks truth to humankind. On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 14:28:25 -0000, Phil Barker <[log in to unmask]>wrote:> On 14/11/2012 13:37, Sarah Currier wrote:>> "I would be remiss to not express my misgivings" - which include the>> fact that it\'s harder to disambiguate a large number of resources with>> the same tag expressing different properties ("funded by UKOER" *and*>> "produced by member of UK OER community"), than to just have a new tag>> that expresses the new property.> And>> On 14/11/2012 13:51, Jacqueline Carter wrote:>> ESRC (and possibly [...]David Kernohan2012-11-14#DIV/0!
51
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=55388> So counting the number of resources is a poor way of measuring its impact. It\'s a statistic that many people (and crucially, organisations, institutions and funding bodies) find useful as a starting point for a number of reasons (as Jackie alluded to). It\'s also one that seems to me to be a totally obvious one to be able to provide- it certainly raised eyebrows when Martin started on his OER Visualisation journey and it *wasn\'t* easy to provide. And it\'s not our job to say "Sorry JISC/Dept of ducation/whoever, we can\'t provide that stat- don\'t you know it\'s a [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
52
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=56178No, but you could say \'you know what, we haven\'t the faintest idea, because for once, we\'ve kicked something off that has gone on to become something much much bigger\'. -----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah CurrierSent: 14 November 2012 14:42To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what? [...]Julian Tenney2012-11-14#DIV/0!
53
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=56817I would probably word it differently, and produce this email chain as my defence, but yes. S.-----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julian TenneySent: 14 November 2012 14:45To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what?No, but you could say \'you know what, we haven\'t the faintest idea, because for once, we\'ve kicked something off that has gone on to become something much much bigger\'. [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
54
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=57552Well that will teach me to ask silly questions... It occurred to me that strictly only resources released under our initial phase 1 project should be tagged ukoer though I\'ve continued to tag any resources released subsequently simply according to the template established under that project...and because I was still part of the community and variously involved in other (uk)oer projects over the rest of the Programme. [...]Sheppard, Nick2012-11-14#DIV/0!
55
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=58199Wow, *epic* change-of-subject Nick. Must remember to invite you to potentially contentious family holiday dinners. S.-----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sheppard, NickSent: 14 November 2012 14:42To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: End of programme, now what?Well that will teach me to ask silly questions...It occurred to me that strictly only resources released under our initial phase 1 project should be tagged ukoer though I\'ve continued to tag any resources released subsequently simply according to the template established under that project...and because I was still part of the community and variously involved in [...]Sarah Currier2012-11-14#DIV/0!
56
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=59164Didn\'t Dave White\'s work on impact point to this very problem -- the iceberg analogy? The "stuff" is there, but unless we can show people are using the stuff, then just having a count doesn\'t give us much. Borges has a short story about a library where there is every book ever written, along with every variation and every rebuttal, but no one can get in or out of the library;) Best, Frank Dr. Frank C. Manista Mimas The University of Manchester 5th Floor Roscoe Building M13 9PL 0161 275 0155 (external) 50155 (internal) ________________________________________ From: Open Educational Resources [[log in to unmask]] [...]Frank Manista2012-11-14#DIV/0!
57
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=60002On 14/11/2012 14:42, Sarah Currier wrote: >> So counting the number of resources is a poor way of measuring its impact.> It\'s a statistic that many people (and crucially, organisations, institutions and funding bodies) find useful as a starting point for a number of reasons (as Jackie alluded to). It\'s also one that seems to me to be a totally obvious one to be able to provide- it certainly raised eyebrows when Martin started on his OER Visualisation journey and it *wasn\'t* easy to provide. And it\'s not our job to say "Sorry JISC/Dept of ducation/whoever, we can\'t provide [...]Phil Barker2012-11-14#DIV/0!
58
Re: End of programme, now what?End of programme, now what?http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=60756Hello, Am I too late to join in? I\'ve been laid up all day with #ukoercold :}I\'ve read through the discussions and (surprise, surprise) I agree with Phil and Amber.Something else to consider....we can talk till we\'re blue in the face about what we should and shouldn\'t do, but changing practice is another thing all together. For better or for worse the ukoer tag is out there in the wild now and it seems to have taken on a life of its own. It\'s already been used in ways we didn\'t originally envisage. This maybe a good thing [...]Lorna Campbell2012-11-14#DIV/0!
59
Free online workshop on OERs, copyright and Creative Commons - Register todayFree online workshop on OERs, copyright and Creative Commons - Register todayhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=2394---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Wayne Mackintosh <[log in to unmask]>Date: Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:16 PMSubject: [OER] Free online workshop on OERs, copyright and Creative Commons- Register todayWant to learn more about OERs, copyright and open licensing?Only one month left toreserveyourseat for this free, online international workshop. Join hundreds ofparticipants from over 30 countries and registertoday. [...]Cable Green2012-11-04#DIV/0!
60
Fwd: JISC CETIS Newsletter October 2012JISC CETIS Newsletter October 2012http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=14673Fwd: JISC CETIS Newsletter October 2012Phil Barker2012-11-07#DIV/0!
61
Help on Open Source Instructional Design ToolsHelp on Open Source Instructional Design Toolshttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=12641Dear all, I will be grateful to learn from you of any open source tool(s) whichsupport online instructional materials development.Fred Yeboah2012-11-07#DIV/0!
62
Re: Help on Open Source Instructional Design ToolsHelp on Open Source Instructional Design Toolshttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=12955Dear Fred, The Open University has a free, open website called Teach and Learn (http://teachandlearn.net/); it is for primary and secondary education, but some of the development modules could be helpful. In addition, the Centre of Excellence in Enquiry-Based Learning should have some additional materials, including some training workshops I put together for helping teaching assistants implement EBL in their teaching here at the University of Manchester. The Centre is now closed, but all the resources remain available: http://www.ceebl.manchester.ac.uk/ Best, Frank Dr. Frank C. Manista Mimas The University of Manchester 5th Floor Roscoe Building M13 9PL 0161 275 0155 (external) [...]Frank Manista2012-11-07#DIV/0!
63
Keeping MOOCs OpenKeeping MOOCs Openhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=470https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/34852 Cable-----MOOCs — or *M*assive *O*pen *O*nline*C*ourses —have been getting a lot of attention lately. Just in the last year or so,there’s been immense interest in the potential for large scale onlinelearning, with significant investments being made in companies(Coursera, Udacity , Udemy ),similar non-profit initiatives (edX ) and learningmanagement systems (Canvas,Blackboard).The renewed interest in MOOCs was ignited after last year’s Introduction toArtificial Intelligence course offered viaStanford University, when over 160,000 people signed up to take the freeonline course. The idea of large-scale, free online [...]Cable Green2012-11-01#DIV/0!
64
Launch of the Society of Biology's new HE teaching website - Open Education ResourcesLaunch of the Society of Biology's new HE teaching website - Open Education Resourceshttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=19832Dear all, I\'m looking forward to meeting those of you who are coming to the UKOER Programme Meeting tomorrow.As part of the Society of Biology\'s project for the UKOER Phase 3 Strand 4a (Promoting OER within PSRBs and Subject) we are developing a new website to promote the use of OER in the biology community and we\'d like to invite you to the launch. [...]Eva Sharpe2012-11-12#DIV/0!
65
Looking for comments on a possible ShakeSpeare Hackday from an OER perspectiveLooking for comments on a possible ShakeSpeare Hackday from an OER perspectivehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=14831Forwarded from Nicola Osborne at Edina Hi there,Myself and my colleagues at EDINA are considering running a hackday (likely to be December this year) for a project we\'ve been working on and which I hope may be of interest. The project is called Will\'s World and it is a JISC-funded project to build a registry of metadata about Shakespeare resources across the UK. [...]Amber THOMAS2012-11-07#DIV/0!
66
Re: Looking for comments on a possible ShakeSpeare Hackday from an OER perspectiveLooking for comments on a possible ShakeSpeare Hackday from an OER perspectivehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=15456Hello, Well it would be me wouldn\'t it :)I found http://willsworld.blogs.edina.ac.uk/category/for-developers-2/ awhile back, but I wasn\'t sure what I could do with it.I made http://www.pgogywebstuff.com/bill/ andhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/76886454@N02/collections/72157629383261896/Which are roughly the same thing - but more just open educational resources(over 2,000 of them)I\'d be interested in doing something with some data if it was easy to use(I have never sparql\'ed before), but it\'d be in my own time, not via workstuff. [...]Pat Lockley2012-11-07#DIV/0!
67
Re: Looking for comments on a possible ShakeSpeare Hackday from an OER perspectiveLooking for comments on a possible ShakeSpeare Hackday from an OER perspectivehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=16316This immediately made me think of Rufus Pollack and the OKFN, so I forwarded to him and he replied:Can you suggest people ping the Open Humanities mailing list - see:http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/open-humanitieshttp://humanities.okfn.org/get-involved/RufusOn Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Amber THOMAS <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Forwarded from Nicola Osborne at Edina>>> Hi there,>> Myself and my colleagues at EDINA are considering running a hackday> (likely to be December this year) for a project we\'ve been working on and> which I hope may be of interest. The project is called Will\'s World [...]Kathi Fletcher2012-11-08#DIV/0!
68
OER Sharing - recruitment / costs / student experience paperOER Sharing - recruitment / costs / student experience paperhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=57Hi all http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/1238/2283Thought this paper might appeal (hat tip to Joss Winn for sharing ontwitter).PatPat Lockley2012-11-01#DIV/0!
69
Report: Growing the Curriculum: Open Education Resources in U.S. Higher EducationReport: Growing the Curriculum: Open Education Resources in U.S. Higher Educationhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=17648Greetings Open Colleagues: The Babson Survey Research Group has released a new report: *Growing theCurriculum: Open Education Resources in U.S. Higher Education *(downloadlinks below).This sentence is of particular concern to me: *"One concept very importantto many in the OER field was rarely mentioned at all – licensing terms suchas creative commons that permit free use or re-purposing by others."* [...]Cable Green2012-11-09#DIV/0!
70
Re: Report: Growing the Curriculum: Open Education Resources in U.S. Higher EducationReport: Growing the Curriculum: Open Education Resources in U.S. Higher Educationhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=18338Cable wrote: > Open vs. Free: “Free” gives you "no-cost" or gratis access to> a resource. "Open" provides both gratis and libre access to a> resource. It is the open license that gives you the legal> permissions to reuse, revise, remix, and redistribute the> resource.That\'s sort of confusing, because folks like Richard Stallman have spenta lot of effort making the distinction that (at least in software)"free" relates to freedom while "open" simply relates to the developmentmodel, which is sort of the opposite of the use here. [...]Steve Foerster2012-11-10#DIV/0!
71
Re: Report: Growing the Curriculum: Open Education Resources in U.S. Higher EducationReport: Growing the Curriculum: Open Education Resources in U.S. Higher Educationhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=19136Update: (1) I worked with the report authors this weekend, and they have revisedthe report to include Hewlett\'s updated OERdefinition.(2) We also discussed if they were willing to put an open license on thereport. After much discussion about their need for notification upon use,the opted to stay with their existing terms: [...]Cable Green2012-11-11#DIV/0!
72
Sharing Research Data Management Resources in JorumSharing Research Data Management Resources in Jorumhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=10764Dear All, Recently we introduced you to Siobhan Burke, Jorum\'s new Ed Tech. Some of you will be meeting her in the coming weeks. In the meantime she\'s written a blog post on her role in the JISC funded DAMSSI-ABC projecthttp://www.jorum.ac.uk/blog/post/52/a-new-horizon-for-jorum-resources-for-teaching-research-data-management-the-damssi-abc-projectPlease circulate to your colleagues.And a reminder of a previous posting from the MANTRA project team. http://www.jorum.ac.uk/blog/post/29/guest-blog-post-introducing-the-research-data-management-training-course-mantra [...]Jacqueline Carter2012-11-05#DIV/0!
73
The OER Policy Registry Needs Your HelpThe OER Policy Registry Needs Your Helphttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=12260http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/34758 Thank you all for contributing to the OER Policy Registry... and forsharing it through your networks.CableCable Green2012-11-05#DIV/0!
74
Two new free RSP webinars for DecemberTwo new free RSP webinars for Decemberhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=13870* *Apologies for cross-posting** Two new free RSP webinars are scheduled for December:* The role of institutional repositories after the Finch report - December 4th, 3pm (GMT)Three repository administrators, Dr. Miggie Pickton (University of Southampton), Dominic Tate (Royal Holloway, University of London) and Sally Rumsey (Oxford University) will discuss the current role of the institutional repositories, the developments and implications after the Finch report and the necessary actions that each institution needs to take into consideration. [...]Nancy Pontika2012-11-07#DIV/0!
75
Re: UKOER final programme meetingUKOER final programme meetinghttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=17263Hi David Booking page now closed for this, any chance you can squeeze me in?What is the International projects start-up meeting on the agenda?All the bestTimTim.Seal2012-11-08#DIV/0!
76
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Openhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=1645It might be helpful for some to (re)visit this perspective: http://wikieducator.org/Say_LibreSome "open" initiatives and resources may also be described as "libre".With respect to Creative Commons licensing, one needs to be specific.Only Attribution-ShareAlike and Attribution are "libre licences".(resources may also be liberated via CC0).The article also explains that there is more to it than licensing theresources.They must be accessible with libre software and deployed in libre fileformats. [...]Kim Tucker2012-11-01#DIV/0!
77
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Openhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=3264The "libre" idea, and some variants, are being taken up (tentatively?) in the discourse around Open Education, by some, but not all, of the contributors. For instance, from this nutshell summary of the Open Ed 2012 Conference Keynote, http://dalab.cc/post/33781548889/gardner-campbells-open-ed-2012-conference-keynote -«[Gardner Campbell] goes through a lot in an hour and a half, and I can’t say I had 1 key takeaway, but it really got to me. Seemed to me he wanted listeners to think more critically about Open Education not just as the opening up of courses (to millions or billions), but as literally “Opening” up Education. That’s not [...]Joseph.Corneli2012-11-04#DIV/0!
78
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and libre[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and librehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=4927Hello All, Someone has to say it, it may as well be me.I\'m not talking about the MOOCs context particularly, but CC licensed educational content, aka OER. So I\'m talking here about the difference between CC\'s licences that count as gratis and those that count as libre. I\'m glad that this is becoming an explicit debate as I\'ve seen it surfacing and it\'s helpful to draw out these assumptions. [...]Amber THOMAS2012-11-05#DIV/0!
79
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and libre[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and librehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=5554Nicely put Amber - as a Libran(*) myself (I guess) I\'ve got nothing but respect for anyone who decides to make knowledge freely available toothers. And although my position is that more openness brings morebenefit, I know that this isn\'t true in all cases.I\'d be interested to read stories and anecdotes concerning successfullegal action taken by those who release "gratis" materials that aresubsequently re-purposed in a "libre" way. [...]David Kernohan2012-11-05#DIV/0!
80
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and libre[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and librehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=6228Agreed, gratis to libre step-by-step seems to be the most reassuring way forward especially if you\'re new to all of this.I\'ve found in my recent talks with EFL publishers in China on issues ofre-use for UK OER that the PublishOER project at Newcastle and theircollaboration with publishers provides the most useful and graspable modelto those working in publishing who haven\'t heard of OER or creative commonsbefore. They all said they needed to do more research but were veryinterested in the different models...it might be useful for old handlibrans to remember the mind shift [...]alannah fitzgerald2012-11-06#DIV/0!
81
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and libre[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and librehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=7081Is there not an innate problem though - the more we have "shades of open" we end up with basically a licensing system (which is already confusing asit is), to which we introduce another term? Open access, open data and Openeducation mean very different things already. Throwing libre into the mix,which is effectively the same as the "Open" of OFKN just seems a bitconfusing. [...]Pat Lockley2012-11-05#DIV/0!
82
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and libre[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and librehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=7711I agree; we should be more open about the "closed" option :) Some of the reasons why academics are drawn to NC in particular is that they are uncomfortable with the way their material might be used. (Another good example is where CC-licensed Flickr images are used as free stock photos for organisations that the creator thinks are a bit dodgy.) These are the kind of situations where there is often a call for end-use restrictions that are, at best, highly questionable in the context of open licensing. [...]Scott Wilson2012-11-05#DIV/0!
83
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and libre[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and librehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=8433@Scott - I think that "moral rights" (which are non-assignable and non-waivable) cover the questionable use of any material under anylicense. If some disreputable technology organisation that avoids UK taxesdecided to use one of my instagram snaps to illustrate a marketingcampaign for a device built by illegal child labour using conflict rareearth materials (to give an impossibly evil example) , I have the legalright to say "no - you can\'t do that, associating with you damages mymoral standing". [...]David Kernohan2012-11-05#DIV/0!
84
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and libre[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and librehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=9174Hi Amber: First, I think it\'s important to note that Stallman himself releases some of his writings under "No Derivatives" terms. He views software and writing to be fundamentally different and he seems to have in mind "moral rights". I think he\'s right about that.However, I think that some people are drawn to things like NC/ND *not* because they have informed views (like Stallman\'s), but, I\'d swear, because these people think something like "More two-letter acronyms must mean the work is \'more free\'." Or, "I\'m 100% in favor of people to using this work for any beneficial purpose whatsoever, [...]Joseph.Corneli2012-11-05#DIV/0!
85
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and libre[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and librehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=10017I also think the NC decision is an academic instinct a lot of the time that commercial == evil, and should be prevented. I can see cases for NC licensing (I\'m not a zealous Libran), but I\'m not sure that the NC decision is always well informed. -----Original Message-----From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joseph.CorneliSent: 05 November 2012 15:25To: [log in to unmask]Subject: Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and libre [...]Julian Tenney2012-11-05#DIV/0!
86
Re: [OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and libre[OERU] Keeping MOOCs Open - gratis and librehttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1211&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=11597No, as far as I\'m aware moral rights largely apply to cases where there is misattribution or malicious alteration, in other words, they largely duplicate (or underscore in law) the BY and ND clauses found in CC. Interestingly, as moral rights cannot be waived or transferred under EU law*, this means that even using CC-BY the creator has recourse if their work is modified in a way that damages the creator\'s reputation (provided it happens in Europe) [...]Scott Wilson2012-11-05#DIV/0!
87
A Learning Registry blogging carnival from JLeRN: there might be something here to tempt youA Learning Registry blogging carnival from JLeRN: there might be something here to tempt youhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=21664Dear all, The JLeRN Experiment, JISC\'s investigation of the Learning Registry, is coming to an end this month, and we\'ve been gathering a bunch of resources about UK HE and the Learning Registry to share with the community.This email gives a list of blog posts we have published in advance of a final project meeting next week, where we will be finalising our recommendations and outputs - including some really interesting tasks performed for us by some very smart people. If you\'ve barely dipped your toe in before, do read on because some of these blog posts may be [...]Sarah Currier2012-10-17#DIV/0!
88
Re: A Learning Registry blogging carnival from JLeRN: there might be something here to tempt youA Learning Registry blogging carnival from JLeRN: there might be something here to tempt youhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=22522Hi all, Happy to use this email list or the blog post to discuss the contributions in the blog post I made.ThanksPatOn 17 Oct 2012, at 10:33, Sarah Currier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> Dear all,>> The JLeRN Experiment, JISC’s investigation of the Learning Registry, is coming to an end this month, and we\'ve been gathering a bunch of resources about UK HE and the Learning Registry to share with the community.>> This email gives a list of blog posts we have published in advance of a final project meeting next week, where we will [...]Pat Lockley2012-10-17#DIV/0!
89
Blogging on UK OER as it applies to the new OER International strand with the HEABlogging on UK OER as it applies to the new OER International strand with the HEAhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=18834Hi All, Greetings from Open Ed in Vancouver. I have put together a cornerstone post(a hyperlinked one where you can scan for areas of interest/relevance toyour work) on OER in Data Driven Language Learning that draws on manyinfluences from current UK OER projects and practices. Because I\'ve touchedon the following, it would be great to get some feedback from UK OERers at: [...]alannah fitzgerald2012-10-15#DIV/0!
90
book sprint eventbook sprint eventhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=14108https://sites.google.com/site/docsprintsummitv2/ hi all...please apply for this!!!!!! calling all projects! and spreadthe word (projects do NOT have to be Google Summer of Code related)Google Summer of Code in collaboration with Aspiration and FLOSS Manualsis hosting a "Doc Sprint Camp" at Google\'s Mountain View headquarters(California) Dec 3 - 7, 2012.The 2012 Doc Camp will feature: [...]Adam Hyde2012-10-13#DIV/0!
91
Re: book sprint eventbook sprint eventhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=14730On the page it mentions: "Individuals with a passion for free documentation about free software may apply to attend by filling out the application form [1] and submitting before October 26"and"Projects will be chosen from proposals submitted to the GSoC Doc Camp before October 26 through the application form [2]."But I\'m afraid I cannot see any application form[2]. Am I missing something? [...]Julian Tenney2012-10-15#DIV/0!
92
Re: book sprint eventbook sprint eventhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=16249https://sites.google.com/site/docsprintsummitv2/ On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Julian Tenney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> On the page it mentions:****>> ** **>> *“Individuals with a passion for free documentation about free software> may apply to attend by filling out the application form [1] and submitting> before October 26”*>> ** **>> and ****>> ** **>> *“Projects will be chosen from proposals submitted to the GSoC Doc Camp> before October 26 through the application form [2].”*>> ** **>> But I’m afraid I cannot [...]Adam Hyde2012-10-15#DIV/0!
93
Re: book sprint eventbook sprint eventhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=17084It appears form [2] is merged into form [1] On 15 October 2012 11:20, Adam Hyde <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> https://sites.google.com/site/docsprintsummitv2/>>>>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Julian Tenney <> [log in to unmask]> wrote:>>> On the page it mentions:****>>>> ** **>>>> *“Individuals with a passion for free documentation about free software>> may apply to attend by filling out the application form [1] and submitting>> before October 26”*>>>> ** **>>>> and ****>>>> ** **>>>> *“Projects will be chosen from proposals [...]Martin Hawksey2012-10-15#DIV/0!
94
Re: book sprint eventbook sprint eventhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=17946yep On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Martin Hawksey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:> It appears form [2] is merged into form [1]>>> On 15 October 2012 11:20, Adam Hyde <[log in to unmask]> wrote:>>> https://sites.google.com/site/docsprintsummitv2/>>>>>>>>>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Julian Tenney <>> [log in to unmask]> wrote:>>>>> On the page it mentions:****>>>>>> ** **>>>>>> *“Individuals with a passion for free documentation about free software>>> may apply to attend by filling out the application form [1] and submitting>>> before October 26”*>>>>>> [...]Adam Hyde2012-10-15#DIV/0!
95
Call for Papers: JOLT special issue on MOOCsCall for Papers: JOLT special issue on MOOCshttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=21038Dear colleagues, The MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching (JOLT at http://jolt.merlot.org/) has just released a Call for Papers for a special issue on Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), to be published in Summer (June) 2013. The Guest Editors of the special issue are George Siemens (Athabasca University), Valerie Irvine (University of Victoria), and Jillianne Code (University of Victoria). [...]Lee, Mark2012-10-17#DIV/0!
96
Call for Papers: JOLT special issue on MOOCsCall for Papers: JOLT special issue on MOOCshttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=24520Dear colleagues, The MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching (JOLT at http://jolt.merlot.org/) has just released a Call for Papers for a special issue on Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), to be published in Summer (June) 2013. The Guest Editors of the special issue are George Siemens (Athabasca University), Valerie Irvine (University of Victoria), and Jillianne Code (University of Victoria). [...]Lee, Mark2012-10-19#DIV/0!
97
Celebrate Open Access Week with CCCelebrate Open Access Week with CChttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=25125https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/34268Cable Green2012-10-18#DIV/0!
98
Re: CfP - Elpub 2013CfP - Elpub 2013http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=2372Thanks Amber - please always progress such things - that\'s great!Julie Stone2012-10-04#DIV/0!
99
Come on folks! Get your abstracts in for OER13Come on folks! Get your abstracts in for OER13http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=31212Today is the last chance to submit an abstract (or two) for OER13. Make sure your great work is represented in Nottingham in March 2013.The abstract process is quick and easy.Go on - you KNOW you want to!http://www.ucel.ac.uk/oer13/index.htmlSuzanneSuzanne Hardy2012-10-31#DIV/0!
100
Communicate OER, an effort to improve Wikipedia coverage, launching next weekCommunicate OER, an effort to improve Wikipedia coverage, launching next weekhttp://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1210&L=OER-DISCUSS&F=&S=&P=13161Dear all, Apologies for cross-posting; I believe this timely announcement will be ofinterest to both lists.I am pleased to announce that Communicate OER will hold its first Wikipediatrainings at the Open Education conference in Vancouver next week. Weenthusiastically invite remote participation, primarily through our projectcoordination page on Wikipedia.Communicate OER is a year-long effort to support people in the OER world inworking together to improve relevant Wikipedia content. It is funded by theWilliam and Flora Hewlett Foundation, and sponsored by the University ofMississippi. We are also proud to have the endorsement of [...]Pete Forsyth2012-10-11#DIV/0!
Loading...
 
 
 
oer-discuss-v3
Summary