|BARGE NAME||GENERAL INFO|
|ADIEU of Harwich BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' - plain light blue)|
Off.No.161035, 79 ton steel built at Mistley 1929 for M.F.Horlock & Co.Ltd. Latterly working in the ballast trade, she was converted 1990 for use as a restaurant / club. Now a private yacht owned by Iolo Brooks based in St.Katharines Yacht Haven.
|ALICE Of Rochester STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' in - blue G on yellow ground)|
57 ton steel built at Wivenhoe 1954 by J.W. Cook for Hubbocks as a swim headed lighter. Owned by Wrightson & Sons Ltd. Converted in 1997 by Owen Emerson and registered under S.S.R.No.68024. Sold 2002 to Sean Jacobs . Sold 2005 to Alan Gick(Alice 4 Charters). Based Portsmouth.
ARDWINA Of London STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' has - Red 'A' & Navigational dividers on 3 blue horizontal bands on white ground). Has "Rolfe Judd"in topsail.
Official No. 129016, 66 ton built of wood at Ipswich in 1909 by W.H. Orvis. 85. x 21.1 x 6.4, for E.J. & W.Goldsmith of Grays, Other owners: sold 1938 to Metcalf Ltd. London. 1941 Ocean Salvage, Gravesend. 1942 T.J.Metcalf , Gravesend. 1950 Daniels Bros & L. Vandersyde of Whitstable. 1950 Daniels Bros & M. Blyth. 1959 as a yacht Brian Herve. 1961 G.Newman of Maldon. 1966 J.Hunt & R. Hogben. 1971 J. Hunt. early 70's Porter. c'1980 Rolfe Judd Practice (Ardwina Ltd.) Rebuilt 1982. Last barge built at Ipswich. Based St.Katharines Yacht Haven.
|ATRATO Of London STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - 2 lemon diamonds on black ground)|
Official No. 110037, 63 ton built of steel by Forrestt of Wivenhoe in 1898 84.4 x 18.6 x 6, rebuilt 1945 by Pollocks. Owned by Hughes and L.R.B.C. Converted to motorbarge and sold out of trade, Owned since 1985 by Rupert Ashmore based Battersea.
|BERIC Of Harwich STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - dark blue & white halves with white P in green disc on white half)|
Official No. 105421, 63 tons built of wood at Harwich in 1896 by Cann. Owners, Cranfield Brothers Ltd ended working life as motorbarge between Tilbury Grain Terminal and Rochford Mills in 1977, Bought 1978 by Stan Cresswell and Roy Woods and rerigged at Ipswich. Used by Steven Young for receptions in Millwall Dock sold 1999 and moved to Newcastle. Returned to Maldon 2003 owned by Ray & Ben Payne. Based St.Katharines Yacht Haven. For Sale 2010.
|BETULA Of Ipswich STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' -plain red )|
SSR No 87565 ex Maartelaasgracht built of steel by Gideon of Groningen, Holland in 1924 as motor sailing bulk cement carrier. Counter stern replaced 1997 by owner skipper Eddie Smith, now 77’5”x17’8” based Pin Mill. For Sale 2010.
|CABBY Of Rochester BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' - plain white C on plain red ground. ) Dark grey lower hull with black wale.|
Official No. 160687, 76 ton. The last full size barge built of wood at Rochester in 1928 by Gill for London & Rochester Barge Company. Aux. Kelvin 66 fitted, worked as motorbarge with grain, animal feeds and other bulk cargoes, before rerigging 1970 as Company charter barge to replace Sirdar. Owners became part of Hays plc, and sold 2002 to Andrea Grieg, Marine Events Management Ltd, sold 2006 to Gary Zimmerman. 2007 owned Charles McLaren. Charter barge thro Sailing Barge Cabby Ltd, based Maldon. (Mizzen sail had Web Address in 2009.)
|CAMBRIA Of London BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' has four colours in triangular quarters, red blue, green and white.)|
Official No. 120676. 79 tons built of wood at Greenhithe by Wm. Eberhardt in 1906 Had wheelhouse & was mulie rigged. Last sailing barge trading under sail. Owned by Cambria Trust from 1996. Moved from Dolphin Yard Museum , Sittingbourne to Sheerness Docks in lighter 2006. Moved to Faversham for restoration 2007.Completed 2011.
|CENTAUR Of Harwich STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - Gold wheel on red & black ground)|
Official No. 99460, 61 ton. Built of wood at Harwich in 1895 by Cann, 85.6 x 19.5 x 6.2. Owners, Charles Stone, c.1900 Dolly Rogers, 1911 Ted Hibbs, 1915 John Sawyer, then Francis & Gilders and L.R.T.C. In 1955 she was derigged by Brown & Co. for use as a timber lighter. Bought in 1966 by Richard Duke to rerig as a charterbarge she was sold in 1974 to the Thames Barge S.C. for members sailing. Rebuilt 1984-95, Owner now Thames Sailing Barge Trust. Based at Maldon.
|CYGNET Of Harwich BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' - plain red)|
Official No. 84028, 16 ton. Very small working barge built with a single hold at Frindsbury of wood in 1881 by Curel and owned by Walter Wrinch of Ewarton. Later owners Payne, and Mica Brown who refitted her as a private yacht . Reverted to tiller steering and had mizzen stepped on rudder post from 2005 under Mica Brown and Des Kaliszewski. Based at Snape Maltings.
|DAWN of Maldon BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob'- Plain dark blue)|
Official No. 105902. 54 Tons. Built of wood at Maldon by Cook. Owned DAWN Sailing Barge Trust.. Moved from Hoo to Maldon 1999. To Heybridge 2002 for restoration (aided by lottery grant). Hull re-launched 2007 - rerigging completed 2008. moved to Pin Mill 2009.
|DECIMA Of London STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - 2 dark blue horizontal bands, with black 'G' in gold on central horiz.band.)|
Official No. 110055, 67 ton. Built by Fay of steel at Southampton in 1899, 85 x 18 for E.J. & W. Goldsmith Ltd. Owned by Rayfield then Greenhithe Lighterage Co. Ltd as a motorbarge. Rerigged as charterbarge by D.Wildish , sold1999 to Jeremy Taunton, sold 2003 to Tim Goldsack. Based Heybridge. ( White 'Tiptree' emblem in topsail)
|EDITH MAY Of Harwich STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - White ' 'wheatear'emblem in dark blue disc on light blue ground. )|
Official No. 116180, 64 ton. Built of wood at Harwich in 1906 by Cann. Owned by G.F.Sully she traded until 1961 as motorbarge. Rerigged by Vernon Harvey she had many successful races. Moved to Liverpool Docks, she returned to the East Coast 1990 and is now based Halstow owned by Geoff Gransden. Undergoing restoration 2005. Active 2010.
|EDME Of Harwich BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' - White 'H' & 112 on red ground. )|
Official No. 105425, 50 ton. Built of wood at Harwich in 1898 by Cann and owned by F.W.Horlock. Derigged for use as a lighter 1949 by Brown & Co. Lengthy restoration at Maldon before being bought by the Harman-Harrison Consortium, rerigged as bowsprit barge 1992. Owned by EDME Consortium. Still has no engine. Based at St.Osyth. (has white EDME in topsail)
|ETHEL ADA Of London STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - white lifebelt emblem on dark green ground.)|
Official No. 118352, 49 ton. Built of wood at Paglesham in 1903 by Shuttlewood 82 x 19.1 x 5.4. Owned by G. & A. Underwood, Coal Merchants, Southend, Samuel West Ltd in ballast work and by the Successors to T.F.Wood - I.C.I. Ltd in the explosives trade. Sold 1958 to Duke & Allan; 1970 to Geoff Mellor. Refitted Pin Mill, 1999 for new owner Oliver Price. Based Community Moorings, Wapping. (Topsail has white disc emblem)
|FERTILE BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' - brown eagle with yellow barge on dark blue ground.)|
SSR No 65378. 65 Tons Built 1936 as a steel swim headed lighter. Converted to a swim headed stumpy rigged spritsailed barge by owner Steve Brotherhood 1996. Based Colchester, Hythe.
|GLADYS Of Harwich BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' -green,orange & gold triangular.)|
Official No. 109882, 68 ton. Built at Harwich of wood in 1901 by Cann, 84 x 20.6. Owned until 1973 by Cranfield Brothers Ltd. Rerigged 1974 for use as a company yacht by Mardorf Peach Ltd. Owned by Allied Mills. new transom 2003. Based at St.Katharines /Heybridge Basin. ('Kingsmill' emblem in topsail)
|GRETA Of Colchester STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' -red 'N' on black & gold ground.)|
Official No. 98324, 46 ton. Built of wood at Brightlingsea in 1892 by Stone 80 x 18.7 x 5.6. and owned by the L.R.B.C. Converted to motor barge in C'51. Rerigged Allington by Tony Ryan. owner Steve Norris Chartering, Whitstable. Based Faversham. (Topsail has white 'shepherds crook' and mains'l has white 'SHEPHERD NEAME, BREWER, FAVERSHAM.)
|HENRY Of London STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - Swallowtail with white central horizontal band on on dark blue ground. Green transom.)|
Official No. 118381, 44 ton. Built of wood at Goldsmiths yard Grays in 1904 by A.White. 76.3 x 18.1 x 5.1, and owned by Cole and Lecquire Ltd. Rebuilt by Wills & Packham 1944 and Bought out of trade in 1948 by Arthur Bennett. Derigged as housebarge at Twinney, later refitted at Sittiingbourne by Steve Downer and sold 1998 to Justin Ford . Major refit 2003. Based Faversham .
|HYDROGEN Of London BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' -green, red & white)|
Official No. 123640, 98 ton. Built of wood at Rochester in 1906 by Gill. Owners Burt, Boulton & Heywood George Andrews of Sittingbourne and later G.F.Sully. She circumnavigated Great Britain for Bells Whisky and became charterbarge owned by Blackwater Barge Co. Charter barge through Topsail Charters. Based Maldon
|KITTY Of Harwich BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' -white star on red ground. White star in topsail. Green hull.)|
Official No. 105418, 65 ton. Built of wood at Harwich in 1895 by Cann. Owned by Horatio F.Horlock, sold in 1933 to Francis & Gilders and passed to L.R.T.C. then used as timber lighter by Brown & Co before being sold to Maldon Yacht & Barge Charter Co. Ltd to be rerigged in 1964. With a six pointed white star in her topsail under John Fairbrother became notable racer. Owned by Roger Marriott . Based Maldon.
|LADY DAPHNE Of Rochester COASTING Class ('Bob' - blue & red. )|
Official No. 127276, 85 ton. Built of wood at Rochester in 1923 by Short Bros. 90.3x21.4x7.3, Auxilliary Ruston 100 engine installed in 1948, gear removed 1958 and used as a motor barge by her owners R & W Paul Ltd. Sold in 1973 to Taylor Woodrow Ltd and rerigged C'74 at Maldon. Sold to Michael and Elisabeth Mainelli 1996. Charter Barge though Nymph Ltd. London. Based at St.Katharine Docks. (White 'Z' in topsail.)
|LADY JEAN Of Rochester STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - white 'W' on red ground.)|
Official No. 148366, 86 ton. Built of wood at Rochester in 1923 by Short Bros.91.2 x 21.6 x 7.5. Aux. Ruston 100 installed 1948 but removed 1958 by R.& W.Paul Ltd. Renamed Sir Alan Herbert by East Coast Sail Trust for youth sail training. Bought by Iden & Sheena Wickings for a barge yacht and reverted to her original name. Owned Steve Morrison from 2008. Staysail Mulie with half wheelhouse. Based at Maldon .
|LADY OF THE LEA Of Dover STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - plain red. Has white emblem, barge inside castle emblem, all inside double circle in topsail )|
Official No. 722956. Built of wood at Rotherhithe in 1931 by Hyam & Oliver for the War Department for carriage of explosives from Waltham Abbey, 23 ton. 72' by 13' and was originally tiller steered and stumpy rigged. Sold to W.Aslett 1946, Owned by Brian Pain as private yacht barge, registered at Dover, Based Standard Quay, Faversham,
|MARJORIE Of Ipswich BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' - lemon & black quarters with lemon 'D' & '108' on black quarters (age in 2010)|
Official No. 113753, 56 ton. Built of wood at Ipswich in 1902 by Orvis, 84 x 19.3 x 6.2 for R. & W. Paul Ltd. Owned 1961 by A.J.O'Shea as charterbarge later by Albert Groom. Dark grey hull with varnished transom and owned by Simon Devonshire. Changed to Staysail 2010. Changed to Bowsprit class 2011. Based at Hoo overwinters at St Katherines.
|MAY Of Ipswich BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' - blue & white horizontal stripes. )|
Official No. 97680, 57 ton. Built of wood at Harwich in 1891 by Cann for Cranfield Bros Ltd of Ipswich. Sold in 1964 to Silvertown Services Ltd (Tate & Lyle) for occasional trade under sail and company charter barge. Light blue transom. Based at Pin Mill. (White 'TATE & LYLE' in topsail. )
|MELISSA Of London STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' -cream/red/cream horizontal stripes.)|
Official No. 110078, 67 ton built of steel by J.G. Fay at Southampton 1899 for E.J. & W.Goldsmith of Grays. Acquired by L.R.T.C. converted to motor barge 1944. House Barge 1975. Owned by Jonathan & Richard Webb. Under restoration 2000 -2008. Sailing again 13th July 2009 and competed in, and won, this years Pin Mill Sailing Clubs 48th Annual Barge Match in July and gained a creditable 2nd behind Edme in this years Colne Match. Based Pin Mill (Faint "Sunblest " emblem [Ex Gladys] in topsail)
|MIROSA Of Maldon BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' - lemon Tudor rose on blue ground.)|
Official No. 96488, 49 ton. Built as the Ready at Maldon in 1892 by John Howard. owned by Charles Gutteridge of Vauxhall later W.W.Keeble. Name changed in 1947. Owned by Francis & Gilders, used as timber lighter at Heybridge, sold to Claude Deval who organised her rerigging in 1965, Owned by Peter Dodds. She was sponsored by Blue Circle becoming one of the most successful racing barges of recent years. Still has no motor. Based at the Iron Wharf, Faversham.
|NELLIE Of Faversham STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' -plain emerald green )|
Official No. 114452, 43 ton. Built of wood at Faversham by Cremer in 1901. Owned by Daniels 1950, later by Lapthorn, Motorbarge from 1952. Rebuilt Twickenham 1985 and completed Cooks, Maldon 1994, stumpy rigged, 1996. Owner Prof. Diane Montgomery. Stumpy rigged. Based Maldon.
|NIAGARA Of London|
Official No: 108373 79 tons built by Forrestt at Wivenhoe in 1898. 86.7 X 20.6 X 6.7. MB 1924 LRTC. Restoration project at Battersea 1970. Sold to Deptford Community Centre and 2001 to Peter Sands, moved to Hoo for restoration. Continuing 2010.
|ORINOCO Of London STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - plain dark green)|
Official No. 104862, 70 ton. Built of wood at East Greenwich in 1895 by Hughes and owned by Mason, later Cranfield Bros. Aux Ruston 80 fitted. Sold to L.Tester and rerigged at Hollowshore '70's. Stranded ashore she was refitted 1990 as a private yacht. Owner Geoffrey Ingle. Restored 2004. Based at Faversham,
|PHOENICIAN Of London STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - blue, gold, red & white.)|
Official No. 146700 81 ton. Built of wood at Sittingbourne 1922 by Wills & Packham. Owners include E.A.Horlock, and R.Sully converted to a motor barge in 1949 she traded until 1973 when she was sold out of trade to Albert Groom for chartering & community purposes based at Ipswich. Moved to West India Docks then to Pin Mill and Maldon for restoration under sail 1998, owner Grant Littler. Based St. Katharines.
|PUDGE Of Rochester STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - has gold 'wheel' emblem on red & black ground.)|
Official No. 127274 67 ton. Built of wood at Frindsbury 1922 by London & Rochester 82.4 x 21 x 6.8 (overall 84 x 24) as a bowsprit barge. Auxilliary 2 cylinder Kelvin petrol parafin engine installed 1931 replaced by 3 cylinder Bargus Co. (Kelvin) engine 1935. Bought out of trade as a twin hatched motor barge by Thames Barge Sailing Club and rerigged 1968 for members sailing. Engine replaced by Bedford 8.2 litre diesel 1991. Major refit 2004/7. Owner now Thames Sailing Barge Trust. Based Maldon.
|RAYBEL Of London STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' in 2004 - white 'H' on dark blue ground.)|
Official No. 145058, 80 ton. Built of wood at Sittingbourne 1920 by Wills & Packham for G.F.Sully. Aux Kelvin 88 engine installed 1939. Sold out of trade, rerigged at Pin Mill. Owned Ian Houston. Charter barge with Topsail Events & Charters 2008. Laying at Heybridge Basin Winter 2012-13.
|REMINDER Of Harwich STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - green, red & white.)|
Official No. 161033 79 tons, Built of steel at Mistley in 1929 by Horlock and owned by Fred Horlock. Rerigged as charter barge by Roger Beckett of Anglian Yacht Services for chartering out of Maldon Owned by Reminder (1929) Ltd Managed by Topsail Charters. Off white hull, Based Maldon.
|REPERTOR Of Harwich STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - white fish (Pollock) emblem with black 'P' on red ground.)|
Official No. 145404, 69 ton. Built of steel at Mistley in 1924 by Horlock owned by M.R.Horlock. Converted to motor tanker barge she was sold out of trade to G.Reeve. Houseboat Battersea, rerigged by C.McLaren in 1987. Owned by David Pollack chartered through Topsail Charters of Maldon. now based at Standard Quay, Faversham.
|THALATTA Of Harwich BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' in 2004 - white 'ECST' on red ground)|
Official No. 116179, 67 ton. Built of wood at Harwich in 1906 by W.B.McLearon 88.9x20.6x 7.1., bought by F.W.Horlock and rigged as boomie. Sold 1917 to Wynfield Shipping Co. of Grimsby who fitted an engine which was removed on sale to Capt.Body in 1923. Later owned by R & W Paul Ltd. aux. Ruston 80 installed 1948. Owners East Coast Sail Trust for youth sail training out of Maldon. Major rebuild /refit at St Osyth 2005. Rerigged and sailing again from March 2012. Based Maldon.
|THISTLE Of London BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' in 2004 - green, red & white.)|
Official No. 105727, 82 ton. Built of steel at Port Glasgow in 1895 by Hamilton. and traded with H.Covington & L.R.T.C.with Kelvin auxilliary installed 1948. Housebarge at Battersea, rerigged Greenwich 1988 by C.Maclaren 2001 Owned Thistle (1895) Ltd. Charter barge with Topsail Charters Ltd. Maldon. Half wheelhouse. Based Ipswich. Overwinters at Maldon.
|VICTOR Of London BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' - green & white horizontal bands)|
Official No. 105762, 56 ton. Built of wood at Ipswich in 1895 by Shrubsall 82.2 x 20.3 x 6. Owned by Owen Parry for cotton seed from London to Colchester returning with oil in barrels for paint. War service as an ammunition store,became a motorbarge in 1947 for L.R.T.C. until 1964. Rerigged 1974 by Owen Emerson, Sold to Nick Briggs for charters in Solent 1995. Sold 2006 to Steve Goodwin & Tony Chancellor , charter barge through Classic Yacht Charters Ltd., Norwich. Based Mistley (white SB VICTOR in mainsail)
|WHIPPET Of London ('Bob' -white OE on blue ground - green transom)|
SR No; 10246. 29.5 Reg Tons. Built London 1905 by Humphrey & Grey as a steel bonded spirit barge (unrigged) Converted to swim headed, tiller steered, gaff rigged sailing barge by Reg Coombes.mid 70's.Sold to Owen Emerson 2002 for conversion to spritsal barge with wheel steering, straight stern and aux. engine. Based Lower Upnor.
|WILL Of Maldon STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - white tower emblem on dark blue ground.)|
Official No. 148677, 150 ton. Built of steel at Yarmouth in 1925 by Fellows as the Will Everard for F.T.Everard & Co. Ltd. Sold as motorbarge out of trade and rerigged. Owners, V.S.Harvey, 1966; J.R.Hobbins, 1971; Overseas Containers Ltd (P & O) 1977 and sold 1998 to skipper Sue Harrison. Sold to Mark Towers 2004 Mule rigged yacht barge, blue hull. Based St Katherines.
|WYVENHOE Of London STAYSAIL Class ('Bob' - red & white horizontal bands)|
Official No. 110012, 83 ton. Built of steel at Wivenhoe by Forrestt & in 1898. Owned in trade by L.R.T.C. Rerigged as company yacht barge by R.Walsh, Wyvenhoe (London) Ltd. Now operated as a charter barge by Tradsail Charters Ltd. (A subsidiary of The Lawrite Group) from any London base required. http://wyvenhoe.co.uk
|XYLONITE Of Harwich BOWSPRIT Class ('Bob' - White stars & tree emblem on dark blue ground.)|
Official No. 145408, 68 ton. Built of steel at Mistley 1926 by F.W.Horlock to be named BX. Latterly owned by Greenhithe Lighterage she was rerigged by Tim Eliff as a charter barge and based at The Prospect of Whitby, P.H., Wapping. Sold to Cirdan Trust 1985 for sail training out of Maldon. Sold 2007.to Rebecca Polden & Alan Wilkes. Based Maylandsea. ('Avocet' emblem & Suffolk Life in topsail )