|Thank you for downloading my Free Family Budgeting Solution and congratulations on taking an important step to gaining control of your finances.|
I’ve tried many of the solutions out there until I was completely fed up with costly products that half worked, marketed at me incessantly and were too complicated to use.
My hope is that this tool will equip you to reach your financial goals and have peace of mind knowing where you stand financially.
|Creating your file.|
IMPORTANT! Before you can make any changes to this sheet, you must copy it to your Google Account.
1. Click "File" --> "Make a copy..."
o NOTE: You must be signed into your Google account.
2. Give your file a new name and select the folder within your Google Drive. Click "OK"
3. Once your new file loads in Google Sheets, you'll be able to start editing it.
o NOTE: You'll need to delete sheet protections to allow multiple users.
4. Click "Data" --> "Protected sheets & ranges..."
5. Under “Protected sheets and ranges…”, if you don’t see many protections, click “Show all protected ranges.
6. Click each protected sheet named "DELETE THIS" and click the trashcan icon next to the title.
o NOTE: I apologize for this tedious task…it is the only way to preserve the integrity of the original spreadsheet for everyone.
|Setting up your budget|
Steps 1: Setting Up Your Budget
1) Click the “Budget” Tab (you may want to open these instructions in a new window or copy them into a word processor)
2) Edit the sources of income in B6:B18. If the suggested titles don’t work for you, simply change them to something meaningful for you. Remove any irrelevant ones by deleting the cell’s content instead of deleting the row.
a) If you need to add more rows, add them above row 18, this will preserve auto population across the other sheets.
b) If you want to sort your income in alphabetical order, select the range from B6:N18 (or whatever the last income is in your case), Click “Data” --> “Sort Range”, then select Sort by “Column B”.
3) Enter the income you expect to receive each month in each category
4) In the same way, edit the expenses starting in B22 through the end of B
5) Enter the expense in this format “Category – Expense”. The system will use the category to summarize expenses.
6) Edit any of the expense labels to fit your needs and simply delete the text in any cells that don’t apply to you. Add your own categories and expenses at the bottom of the list using “Category – Expense”
a) If you want to sort the expenses select the range B22:N103 (or whatever the last expense is in your case), Click “Data” --> “Sort Range”, then select Sort by “Column B”.
7) Enter the expense you expect to pay each month in each category.
8) Use the Budgeted Gain / Loss row in Row 2 to see if your income covers your expenses.
|1) Click on the Sheet “Transactions”.|
2) This is where you’ll enter your income and expenses.
3) Enter income as positive numbers and enxpenses as negative numbers
|Share your budget with whoever you track money with|
1) With your budget spreadsheet open, and with it named how you want it to appear everywhere,
a) Click the “Share” button in the top right corner of your browser.
b) Enter the email address of whoever you want to share it with.
i) NOTE: Make sure the “Edit” permission (looks like a pencil) is selected.
c) Click “Done”
|Putting Shortcut On Your Phone|
1) iPhone Instructions According to Wikihow.com
1. Delete Google Docs and Google Drive from your iPhone or iPad. You'll have to delete both apps from your phone or tablet before you can create a document shortcut on your home screen. You can download and install these apps again after creating your document shortcut.
2. Open Safari on your iPhone or iPad. The Safari icon looks like a blue compass. You can find it on your home screen, or in an app folder.
3. Go to the Google Drive website in Safari. Type drive.google.com into your browser's address bar, and hit the blue Go button on your keyboard.
4. Find and tap the document you want to save. Scroll down your Drive files to find the document you want to create a shortcut of, and open it.
5. Tap the Share button (square with up arrow image) at the bottom. This is your Share button on a toolbar at the bottom of Safari. It will open your options menu.
6. Tap “Add to Home Screen” on the Share menu. You can find it on the bottom row of the pop-up menu. This will allow you to name your shortcut on a new page.
7. Tap “Add” on the top-right. This is a blue button in the upper-right corner of your screen. This will create a shortcut icon of the selected document, and save it to your home screen.
8. You can then re-install Google Drive and Google Docs
1. Open the Google Drive app.
2. Navigate to your budget file.
3. Long press the budget file.
4. In the resulting popup toolbar, tap the three vertical dots icon.
5. Tap “Add To Home Screen”.