|Email Edie if you wish to add / edit.|
|Spock||Orange Belt 4th Degree||Follower Styling||Instructor Notes||Student Expectations|
|Week 1||Stand By... Still Working on this.|
|Orange 4, Week 1|
Left Turn Stops
Play BBS 90-Minute Music Track
Basics and CBLs Men's Timing. Add more moves within of the BBS Warmup. Do this slowly, over time.
Review break left turns and CBL progressive left turns.
GENERAL LESSON PLAN FOR THE WEEK
In white 2 the break left turn was introduced and in white 3 the CBL progressive left turn was introduced.
Now, you are going to introduce the break left stop as well as the progressive cbl stop. They are in essence the same moves.
Meaning they abide by the same set of rules. For example prog lefts and break lefts are both lead on count 6. It's important for the students to understand these relationships. This is the BBS difference students "know" "understand" how moves work, instead of just memorizing a bunch of patterns. Both left break stops and cbl stops are stopped by leaders on count 7. The follower is then brought back into a right turn. These moves are hybrids...half lefts into right turns. They were placed at this part of the curriculum because they combine what the student has learned up to this point into a very cool and accessable patterns.
1. This week, teach left break turn stops, beginning with high hand and shoulder stops. (CBL progressive left stop will be introduced in week 3).
- Try "cuddle" stops after left turns from an open position.
- Try high hand turns with a right shoulder stop.
- For the woman's right shoulder, the leader stops her with either of his hands with his fingers in front and his hand cupped over her shoulder.
- For two shoulder stops, the leader also places a hand on the left shoulder with the heel of his hand on the back as it's cupped over her shoulder.
- The leader should anticipate the timing and the stop should be firm.
2. Separate men from women to show footwork.
a. Women - two variations of footwork after the stop in the prep for the rollout.
b. Men - after a slight demi step during the stop on 7 (5 on-2), leader steps forward on 1 (6 on-2) so he is to the right side of the woman.
3. Demonstrate the importance of maintaining frame (the "egg").
- At the stop, the leader should retain the follower's egg and not pull her to the left.
- When the leader uses his right hand to stop the lady's right shoulder, he is placing her inside his "egg" and his left step on-1 can be close to the lady.
- When the leader uses his left hand to stop the lady's right shoulder, his egg is side-to-side and outside her egg, and his left step on-1 should be further away from the lady.
Develop SIMPLE combinations using what you have taught from previous weeks in White and Orange Belt.
It is important that you DO NOT OVERWHELM your students with too many variations within your combinations. Show one or two, and leave the complicated stuff to your Mavericks.
Warm Down - Ladies Timing - Basics and CBLs. Add more moves within of the BBS Warmup. Do this slowly, over time.
Community dance with all Circles.
Hour of Power (Full Hour) Practice time. Leave for five- 10 minutes, say you will be back. Only help "individuals" if they need it.
|If the instructor knows styling, Introduce Edie's Freedom Concept footwork to her if it hasn’t been introduced to her already (she can |
include styling on the 1, 2, 3. The Freedom Concept is explained in great detail in during your Instructor-Level Styling training, and also Edie's "Ladies Styling Volume 1" DVD.
Freedom Concept is executing on the following counts:
"1,2,3" If dancing On-1
"6, 7, 1" if dancing On-2
.... without hindering the Lead. Give the Follower one or two pieces of styling she can do on these previous counts, and have her combine them with the scoop-up & cross on 4 (if dancing on 1).
Mermaid after every turn.
McCoy Ref: http://www.dancerhangout.com/showthread.php?t=383&p=528#post528
Canopy: Mascara Smear
Aqua Dip: Electric Fingers, "Poke Your Eye Out" and swing arm down then back and around.
|Get out of the center and become part of the student rotation. |
Talk to the girls as often as the guys
"Tell her she's Beautiful"
"Tell him, 'You're the Man!'"
It is up to the Instructor to come up with a routine based upon what the students have learned, White through Orange Belt so far.
Set your alarm clock to PLAY MUSIC every twenty minutes.
Setting your clock will train YOU as an instructor to stop rambling and helping so much. It will train you to summarize your thoughts, and let your students DANCE and hear music - not just your talking. They get bored with voices at times. Stopping to play the music fives times per the 90 minutes will improve your teaching abilities.
WITH A BIG SMILE...Put name tags with blue tape on all students. Show them the restrooms, and inform them of the Practice Time and Parties WITH A HUGE SMILE...
Read or pass out Weekly BBS Party Bulletin to see where everyone will be
going dancing that week / weekend, and when local events will take
Briefly explain the BBS Martial Arts system of Progressive Training Explain "Scotty" The Pocket Syllabus
Repeat every move at least 15-20 times.
Encourage the students throughout the hour to exchange phone numbers to practice together outside of class every time you play the music.
Remind students they have SEVEN days to get this. Fundamentals will be reviewed more briefly every White Belt class
|By the end of Week #1, student should be able to... |
- Practice outside of class with an entire COLLECTION OF PHONE NUMBERS they got from White Belt.
- CORRECTLY demonstrate the "display" aspect of the follower during count #5 (on-1) or count 2 (on-2)
- HEADLOOP - THIS IS HUGE: Maintain a "chin/head up" and correct posture for both male and female dancers during ALL headloops. Tendency will be to duck our heads - this will not be the case with BBS-trained students! .:)
... or else this can look like two senior citizens with hunchback problems if not done correctly. Instructor: Demo to the class "before" / "after" posturing a Headloop
- Explain the difference between the BBS basic and the Musicality Break (hint: there is no difference - it is just a name / terminology switch)
- Have AWESOME Posture- Look "up with confidence" - not down.
- Demonstrate Leader's Lunging Technique during Canopy
- Combine these moves with all of White Belt Moves
- Make it look easy. .:)
- Practice during the week outside of class
- Exchange more phone numbers