Founded in 1997 with General Colin Powell as Chairman and chaired today by Alma Powell, America’s Promise Alliance is a cross-sector partnership of 350+ corporations, nonprofits, faith-based organizations and advocacy groups that are passionate about improving lives and changing outcomes for children. We have made a top priority of ensuring that all young people graduate from high school ready for college, work and life through our Grad Nation campaign. Our work involves raising awareness, encouraging action and engaging in advocacy to provide children the key supports we call the Five Promises: Caring adults, Safe Places, A Healthy Start, An Effective Education and Opportunities to Help Others.
America’s Promise Alliance promotes youth engagement as part of our Grad Nation campaign by encouraging and supporting our networks and partners to involve young people in community change, and sharing local stories of youth-led action with a national audience to build broader support. The Impact Network is the umbrella of all opportunities available to encourage 13-25 year olds to engage in the mission of America's Promise Alliance.
Below you will find opportunities and four different roles available this July. Be sure to read eligibility and requirements for each. Applicants may apply for one or all of the positions on the same form.
America’s Promise models youth involvement by having two youth leaders on both our Board of Directors and Alliance Trustees. Each youth is a full voting member of the leadership body and plays a valuable role in the strategic direction of the organization.
Serving as a member of an Alliance leadership body is an exciting opportunity. It is also a responsibility. Before applying, please review the following list and make sure you are able to meet the requirements and expectations.
+ Be between the ages of 16-22 on July 30, 2013. Ideally, will not be graduating from college/university prior to June 2015.
+ Attend three meetings yearly in Washington, DC (or other location) without a chaperone. The Alliance will cover all required travel costs for individuals chosen as members.
+ Share a summary report with the Impact Network after each meeting.
+ Have prior experience with an Alliance partner or other America’s Promise Alliance strategy (Grad Nation Summit, 100 Best, Grad Nation Communities, Impact Network, etc.)
Please read the application thoroughly before completing. Applications must be received by July 19, 2013.
1) Applications should be submitted through the online forms provided by America’s Promise Alliance. Prior permission is required for applications submitted on paper or by other means.
VIDEO: Applicants can also answer the narrative questions through video. Please complete the contact information in the application and then submit the video link to email@example.com
. IFor each question please state "See Video" in the box.
2) Membership is currently open only to US Citizens and those young people currently residing in the United States. All submissions should be in English. If an applicant is unable to complete the application in English, please contact the Alliance for assistance.
3) Letters of recommendation will be submitted separately. Two letters of recommendation are suggested for Leadership Bodies. For Judging positions, letters are optional. Recommenders should have good, first-hand knowledge of your skill set. Applicants have two options for submitting them:
****Providing the link to the online form to recommenders (preferred)
****Letters of recommendation can be mailed to the address below or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
5) All decisions related to the Impact Network are the sole discretion of America’s Promise Alliance.
Point of Contact:
America’s Promise Alliance
1110 Vermont Ave. NW, Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20005
Fax : 202.657.0603
HELPFUL TIP: You can not save as you go. You might want to consider questions in another document and cut/past your final answers.
We look forward to reviewing your completed application.
Stay tuned for additional fall opportunities including the Youth Planning Committee for the Building a Grad Nation Summit.