The highly competitive Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship is funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The fellowship assists meritorious students undergoing intensive training in modern foreign languages and related area or international studies. The academic year FLAS fellowship provides a $15,000 annual stipend and pays for tuition and required fees (up to a maximum of 9 credit hours). During the fellowship period, FLAS recipients must be enrolled in at least three hours of language instruction and at least one relevant area studies course during each long semester. Both courses must be taken on a letter-grade basis.
SAI offers academic year funding for the following languages: Bengali, Hindi, Malayalam, Pashto, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu.
Graduate students from all fields of study, and from all departments and colleges are eligible to apply for FLAS funding, as long as the student:
• Is a citizen, or a national or permanent resident of the United States;
• Is accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled at the University of Texas at Austin; and
• Is in a program of study that combines modern foreign language training with an area or international studies emphasis or;
• Is engaged in research and training in the international aspects of professional and other fields of study related to the region of funding;
• Is enrolled in a program of modern foreign language training (please refer to the approved language list for each center);
• Is engaged in pre-dissertation study, preparation for dissertation research, or, in certain cases, dissertation research abroad, or dissertation writing.
Please Note: Awards will not be made to native speakers of the language nor those who possess fluency equivalent to educated native speakers in the language for which the award is sought.
In addition to this form, a completed application must include:
• Official academic transcripts
• Two letters of academic reference with reference forms
• One letter of language reference with reference form.
To download reference forms (download PDF 275KB), please go to the following link:
Please have transcripts and references sent to:
FLAS coordinator, South Asia Institute
The University of Texas at Austin, WCH 4.132 (G9300)
Austin, Texas 78712
Phone: (512) 232-9096 Fax: (512) 471-3336
Important FLAS Fellowship Dates:
• Applications are due on February 13, 2013 by 4:00 pm
• Notifications of awards are sent out at the end of March 2013
For more information on the FLAS Fellowship please consult the FAQ document:
If you have any difficulties with this online form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org