Being a good leader often times means being a good follower or leading by example and through influence. The Unsung Hero/Heroine Award recognizes that kind of leadership. The award is presented to a student who:
- Is committed to the Hamline communit
- Is a motivator and has a positive effect of the lives of others
- Goes above and beyond expectations
- Is admired and respected by others
- Does not currently hold a traditional leadership position, i.e. president, chair-person, Resident Advisor, New Student Mentor, etc.