Deadline: Friday, January 31, 2014
The Center for Public Service (CPS) offers a Course Activity Fund to individual faculty members currently teaching a service learning course for the 2014 Spring semester. The goal of this initiative is to support public service activities beyond the traditional classroom setting and enhance the quality of projects. This fund helps promote ongoing partnerships between Tulane and the New Orleans community.
Faculty teaching service learning courses will have at their disposal a maximum of $250 per semester to enhance successful outcomes of planned service activities. CPS strongly encourages faculty to use these funds to support semester long activity costs such as tools, equipment, supplies, etc., to support reflection sessions with students and community partners, and/or for community partners as guest speakers in class. Additionally, CPS encourages that all service learning students participating in these activities present their final projects or outcomes of their work in a group closing event with the community partner. Here are some past examples:
- Professor purchased a flip cam for their students to use in a public school's Spanish classroom. Students recorded the children speaking, and used the playback for students to improve their speaking and accents.
- In a course with optional service learning, a professor invited their community partner as a guest speaker for the entire class, and used funds to offer a small honorarium. The entire class could form a discussion around the community issues lectured by the partner.
- Professor purchased books and workbooks for service learners to use in teaching and tutoring adult English learners at a newly developed program.
- Professor used funds for refreshments in a closing event at partner site where students presented the final products of their work for their teacher mentors and partner schools.
- Professor used funds to pay for expenses related to long-distance service learning field trips, in collaboration with their community partner.
Faculty members interested in the Service Learning Course Activity Grant are requested to complete the short form below and submit it by Friday, January 31, 2014. Faculty members should submit ALL original, detailed receipts no later than the end of classes to ensure a prompt processing of reimbursements. Submit receipts to your course coordinator. Submissions made after the last day of classes may not be eligible for reimbursement.
Thank you for your interest and participation.