AAJC and OCA petition on hazing to U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta
This is a petition to the U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta concerning the epidemic of hazing that continues to plague the military. In an effort to uphold the values of respect, integrity, and honor, we urge the Department of Defense to enact essential reforms that will ensure:
1. A clear definition of “hazing” that is punishable under military regulations;
2. Stronger accountability up and down the chain of command;
3. Stiffer punishment for failure to report harassment and abuse, leading but not limited to: rejection of future promotions,
dishonorable discharge, and/or significant jail time;
4. Protection for the victim and whistleblowers of harassment and abuse;
5. Mandatory diversity training and inclusion practices to promote more diversity within leadership positions; and
6. An effective and comprehensive record-keeping system on reports of harassment and abuse.
By signing this petition, we seek to bring an end to abuse, harassment, and hazing in the United States military.