Places to see and things to do in �
DCS Room 25 February 23 to 26, 2016
Day 1: February 23, 2016
Winchester & Diridon Stations�CalTrain Bullet Train SJ to SF�AT& T Park & McCovey Cove�South Beach Harbor & South Park�Moscone Convention Center�Yerba Buena Center & MLK Memorial�Union Square & Nob Hill�Huntington Park & Grace Cathedral�Cable Car Museum�China Town
Washington Park & St Peters Church�North Beach�Telegraph Hill & Coit Tower�Levi Plaza & Museum�Embarcadero Promenade�F-line Streetcar�Boudin Bakery�Maritime Building�Aquatic Cove & Pier�Fort Mason
Light Rail, CalTrain, BART, Metro
VTA Light Rail train �from Winchester Station�to San Jose Diridon.
Then CalTrain bullet to �San Francisco.
Name: Chris H
Trains of all sizes.
BART trains run around the bay and through SF (underground).
SF Muni Metro Trains
The Bay Bridge
The San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge is a complex of bridges spanning San Francisco Bay in California. It’s a part of interstate 80 and the direct road between San Francisco and Oakland, it carries about 240,000 vehicles a day on its two decks. It started being made in 1933 and was opened November 12 1936. (Six months before the Golden Gate Bridge). The bridge has two sections of roughly equal length; the older western section, officially known as the Willie L. Brown Jr. bridge, connects downtown San Francisco to Yerba Buena Island and the newer unnamed eastern section connects the island to Oakland. During the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, a section of the eastern span's upper deck collapsed onto the lower deck and the bridge was closed for a month. Reconstruction of the eastern section of the bridge as a causeway connected to a self-anchored suspension bridge began in 2002; the new bridge opened September 2, 2013 at a reported cost of over $6.5 billion.
Name: Soren
Connecting SF and the East Bay
Check out time lapse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDUIYZKlknk
Demo of old bridge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xhcTDLM4Ss
and this tech-news one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiRWA-qhScA
Rincon Hill
In the mid 1840s, San Francisco was a small, dump, with less than 200 residents.Rincon Hill was a remote shrub-covered mound, about 120 feet above now day market street. When the gold rush happened in 1849, San Francisco exploded in population. By 1850, it housed 25,000 residents. By 1853, San Francisco had 50,000 inhabitants, and the wealthy of them wanted a nice, classy place to live. Well, developer george gordon took this as an opportunity, and turned a warm, sunny place with a beautiful view of the bay named rincon hill, into an upscale neighborhood for the rich. It flourished for years, but when the shippers needed an easier route from the water to the city, they made a pathway through rincon hill. This resulted in uncomfortability for the residents, and the upscale neighborhood slowly fell.
Name: Dominick
Subtitle: A one-line statement about the location
South Park
The South Park block was assembled in 1852 by English entrepreneur George Gordon. The park was originally constructed in 1855 as the center of an exclusive residential community. It was modeled after a square in London, England, as a housing development of seventeen mansions plus townhouses on a 550-foot oval around a private grassy park. It featured the first paved streets and sidewalks in San Francisco. A windmill in the center of the park pumped water for the houses.�South Park was also the center of one of large Japanese American communities. Sandwiched between the waterfront and the South Pacific Railroad terminus, the area featured Japanese owned and operated hostels, hotels, baths, and shops.�The neighborhood began to lose exclusivity after the construction of Second Street, which made the area accessible to less affluent residents. Rich residents moved to the newer Nob Hill neighborhood in the late 19th century,[5] and the city took over the park in 1897. It suffered further decline after the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, when most of the homes around the Rincon Hill neighborhood were destroyed. The oval park, however, has remained unchanged and is still a central meeting place in the neighborhood. After the quake the neighborhood was rebuilt as warehouses, light manufacturing, nightclubs, and hotels. Immigrants from various countries came to the neighborhood, as well as longshoremen, drug addicts, and vagrants. The neighborhood began to attract artists and young professionals beginning in the 1970s.�The area flourished during the dot-com boom of the late 1990s, due to flexible office space at initially low rent. It was sometimes described as "ground zero" of the dot com revolution, with many start-up Internet companies based in the area. By late 2001, however, many of these companies had closed their doors. Yet, as of 2006, in an era for the Internet that some have dubbed Web 2.0, South Park has once again become home to many small Web-related companies.
Name: Wikepedia
Yerba Buena Garden
Name: Micah
Yerba Buena Gardens is the heart of the City’s downtown cultural district.
Martin Luther King Jr. memorial:
Yerba Buena was officially named part of San Francisco in January 1847. At that time it was barely developed and very few lived there and they were in tents and adobe huts. 1966 Yerba Buena became a urban renewal area. In 1981 Moscone Ctr opened and it had everything from galleries to housing. In 1993 Yerba Buena Gardens opened, covering 2 city blocks and giving a beautiful open public space.
The creativity carousel was built in 1906 by Charles Looff. For over 50 years it was the main attraction at the San Francisco amusement park. It was bought in 1998 by the City of San Francisco, fully restored and re-opened at the Children's Creativity Museum.
Union Square
Name: Moira
Urban Room in Downtown San Francisco
The land for Union Square was originally donated in 1850 by Colonel John Geary who served in the Mexican War and became the first mayor of San Francisco. During the Gold Rush, the land was used as a campground, a dumping ground, and for sandlot baseball games. It was finally named “Union Square” during the Civil War because several rallies were held to celebrate Union victories over the South.
The current design of the park was developed after the Spanish American War. The monument in the park honors Commander Dewey and the defeat of the Spanish Fleet. It’s a 79 foot tall granite shaft with a bronze figure on top. She is “Winged Victory” holding a trident in one hand and a laurel wreath in the other.
Another public art display is the “Hearts of San Francisco”. Four heart sculptures are installed in the corners of the park. After a year, they are auctioned off to benefit the SF General Hospital and replaced with new heart sculptures by various artists.
Grace Cathedral
Name: Marissa
Subtitle: Cathedral Church of the Episcopal Diocese of California
Cable Cars & Museum
The Cable Car Museum was established in 1974. It is operated by the Friends of the Cable Car Museum as a nonprofit educational facility. Located in the historic Washington/Mason cable car barn and powerhouse, the museum deck overlooks the huge engines and winding wheels that pull the cables. Downstairs is a viewing area of the large sheaves and cable line entering the building through the channel under the street. On display are various mechanical devices such as grips, track, cable, �brake mechanisms, tools, detailed models, �and a large collection of photographs. The museum houses three antique cable cars from the 1870s. �The Sutter Street Railway No. 46 grip car & No. 54 trailer and �the only surviving car from the first cable car company, �the Clay Street Hill Railroad no.8 grip car. The museum store offers a variety of cable car memorabilia, �books, clothing, cards and even genuine cable car bells! They put the cable cars where they are because it is convenient, they are put on slopes because they can connect to other cars going down, and they can pull the cars going up by connecting to each other. A gripman is the person who lets go and and attaches to the cable line, he can use bells to signal the conductor what he is going to do next.
Name: Aidan
Subtitle: A one-line statement about the location
Chinatown
Chinatown has been around since the mid-1840’s. First settled in by poor Asians fleeing from the famine in Asia, Chinatown has become a bustling destination for all things Asian.The are markets, shops, and restaurants that are open to the public. Most foods sold in Chinatown are rice, vegetables, fresh fruit, and fish. These foods make up the healthy diet of your average Asian.
Name: Connor
The biggest Chinatown outside of Asia
North Beach & Washington Square
Name: Yassin
Subtitle: A one-line statement about the location
Coit Tower
Miranda
A white concrete column on top of Telegraph hill
The Embarcadero
Extends from the AT&T Ballpark (Third Street) to Pier 45 in Fisherman’s Wharf.
The Embarcadero Promenade: the continuous waterfront walkway
“Great spot for walking, running, skating, biking, shopping and eating!”
Name: Alyssa
Waterfront and roadway of the Port of San Francisco along San Francisco Bay
The Embarcadero Promenade
Day 2: February 24, 2016
Fort Mason buildings and battery�Exploratorium remote interactives�Ten Thousand Year Planetary Clock�SF Marina and Crissy Field�Palace of Fine Arts�Presidio’s Letterman District�Presidio Main Post & Museum�Presidio Chapel & Cemetery�
Golden Gate Bridge Pavilion�Golden Gate Park:� Rose Garden & Redwoods
Stow Lake & row/paddle boats� Japanese & Botanical Gardens� Koret Carousel & Playground
Haight-Ashbury District�Moscone Recreation Center
Fort Mason
Name: Braedon
The former army post of San Francisco bay
Marina & Crissy Field
Name: Kristin
Subtitle: A one-line statement about the location
The Palace of Fine Arts
Located in the Marina District in San Francisco
Originally constructed for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition in order to exhibit works of art presented there.
It was one of ten palaces at the heart of the Panama-Pacific Exhibition.
During the Great Depression W.P.A. artists were commissioned to replace the decayed
murals on the ceiling of the rotunda(Rounded ceiling style).
During WWII it was requisitioned by the military for storage.
It is built around a small artificial lagoon, and is composed of a wide 1,100 ft pergola
(Garden feature) around a central rotunda situated by the water.
Name: Nic
Hosts art galleries, and has hosted a lot of weddings
Letterman District of the Presidio
The eastern end of the Presidio was the location of the Army’s biggest hospital during wars in the Philippines and World War 1 & 2. It was named after an innovative orthopedist, and it treated 73,000 patients in 1945 alone.
Now, the area is part of the �Presidio Trust and is home to�non-profits & cultural businesses�such as LucasFilms. Movie items�can be seen in their office lobby.
Name: Chris H
Subtitle: A public-run park over a former military hospital and base.
Tent camps were set in this area after the 1906 earthquake. Note that the Palace dome does not exist yet -- it was built 8 years after this photo was taken.
Presidio Officer’s Club
Native americans lived there for thousands of years. It then became a base for Spain's northernmost venture into the America's. In 1846 it became a US army base, and in 1994, the army departed. Now, the Presidio Officers club is a national park, offering a look into history and nature. The Presidios officers club was the last stop for outgoing ships and
Name: Graham
A view from the mouth of the bay - and into history.
National Cemetery @ Presidio
Shortly after the United States assumed control of the Presidio, the Army established a post cemetery on the current site of the National Cemetery. The first known American burial at this location occurred in 1854.
To be baired at this cemetery you would have to serve a minimum active duty service requirement and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
There is 400,000 graves in the cemetery
Name: Montana
Anered War Veterans
Fort Point
Built sometime in 1794�Established as a national park in October 16,1970�Signed by Richard Nixon�Official Name is Castillo De San Joaquin�In 1882 was re-named to Fort Winfield Scott
Name: Manpreet
A masonry seacoast fortification
Golden Gate Bridge
Name: Arin
The famous attraction of San Francisco
Upper Golden Gate Park
The Upper Golden Gate Park is everything to the left of Cross Over Drive. Popular locations are the De Young Museum, the Japanese tea garden, Stow Lake, the Conversatory of Flowers, the Academy of Sciences, and the Botanical Garden.
The Koret Children’s Quarters has an awesome playground, �a carousel, giant slides, and climbable sculptures.
�The Botanical Garden has plants from all over the world. �Some collections are: the California Native Garden, �Redwood Grove, Ancient Plants, and the Magnolia Garden.
Name: Yume
The Haight-Ashbury District
The streets were named after Henry and Monroe who were members of the San Francisco board of supervisors. The district was once old farms and isolated sand dunes, but soon became a popular part of town by the year 1887 because of it’s amusement park, and it was one of the last standing districts from the 1906 earthquake. Then it became the place of the free spirits. The hippies settled here as a place of drugs and music in 1966, known as the summer of love. And to top it all off the psychedelic shop was opened, where people could go for a little get away if you know what I mean, which drew the attention of many rock bands. The district was featured in time magazine as a cultural excitement and will forever go down in history, oh and those weird legs sticking out the window are pretty cool too.
Name: Olivia
Land of the hippies and drugs and cool retro threads
Day 3: February 25, 2016
Hyde Street Pier & Maritime Museum�Fisherman’s Wharf� -Harbor, boats, and economy� -Musee de Mechanique� -USS Pampanito submarine�The Dungeon�Pier 39�Alcatraz Island�AutoDesk & Public Pier 7�Lombard�Ghirardelli�
Hyde Street Pier
The pier is at the end of Hyde Street, between Aquatic Park & Fisherman’s Wharf�Held up by tar-coated pilings, which are poles embedded into the bay bottom.�Ships still docked there: Balclutha, Thayer, Eureka, Alma, Eppleton, Eureka, Ark
Name: Chris H
Where cargo ships and ferries docked.
Fisherman’s Wharf
were leteen rigged sailboats called feluccas
Grace & Joslyn
“The center of a marine-oriented industry beloved by native San Franciscans and visitors alike.”
http://www.fishermanswharf.org/dungeness-crab.html
http://www.visitfishermanswharf.com/wharf-history/
Alcatraz Island
Fun Facts
the inmates weren't used to cold water and wouldn’t
swim away
Name: Gavin
The worst kind of time outs.
Day 4: February 26, 2016
Civic Center� -City Hall
-SF Library
-Opera House
United Nations Plaza
Market Street
Circuit Court Building
Old Mint Building
Wells Fargo History Museum
Transamerica Pyramid
Embarcadero Center
Ferry Building
SF Railway Museum
BART
Mission District� -Mission Dolores
-Dolores Park
-Clarion & Balmy Alleys
N-line Streetcar
CalTrain & VTA to Winchester
Civic Center
Van Ness & Market Streets�Government and cultural buildings�United Nations Plaza
Amazing architecture
Contains many of the cities government institutions
Originally built in 1915
This is where the mayor’s office is and where the board of the city has meeting and the public is encouraged to attend these
Name: Molly
Subtitle: A one-line statement about the location
Market Street
between 2 street grids
has cable car lines but no cable cars
Name: Justin
Subtitle: A one-line statement about the location
The Financial District
Name: ???
Subtitle: A one-line statement about the location
Graffiti in the Mission District
-Graffiti is an art form and a type of expression
-It’s everywhere and is constantly changing
Name: Arin & Chris R
Graffiti is a true form of art.
SF Muni (busses, trolleys, ferries)
go all around the city of San Francisco
ferries go throughout the bay
busses go all around the city
all cost money to ride
$1 for youth and $2.25 for adults
Streetcars run on tracks along �the Embarcadero and Market
Trolley’s come from all over the US
there are 6 antique streetcars and 4 are operational
will
The local transportation of SF