SEO in under 10 minutes
Developer Programs Tech Lead
Startups better qualified for this talk
- Have their main content below 50ish pages
- Hope to rank only for a handful of related terms
- Provide the basics in an efficient manner
- Rest assured that you're not doing something totally wrong related to Search
- Provide pointers for more information
Select www or non-www
Then 301 accordingly to consolidate indexing signals.
Verify ownership in Webmaster Tools
Enable email forwarding to receive critical messages from Google (e.g. hacked, malware, crawling issues)
"Using Webmaster Tools like an SEO"
Domain background check
Previously a spammy domain? Submit a reconsideration request through Webmaster Tools
- "Keywords" listed in Webmaster Tools
- Indexed with a [site:foo.com] search
- Rank when searching for domain name
Webmaster Guidelines: http://goo.gl/5cCLw
Penalties and reconsideration requests:
Webmaster Tools: Fetch as Googlebot
Crawl then submit to index
Include analytics code
Start collecting data even if you're not ready to use it.
Strategy in site design
Consider users/personas for your site
- First-time vs. loyal customer
Site strategy ideas
- Utility: Does our site design meet the needs of each persona?
- Navigation: If searcher lands on child page...
- Can they figure out where they are?
- Can they easily navigate to where they want to be?
- Focused: Does each page contain one logical topic obvious to visitors?
Define your conversion
I want my <group foo> visitors to:
- Sign up for the newsletter
- Contact our bizdev lead
- Buy our product
- Try our product
- Share our service
Make a relevant conversion possible on every page -- don't force users to make extra clicks.
Be smart about your copy
Include relevant keywords naturally in your text.
- Include query terms normal people would use to find your product/business (e.g., "running shoes," not "athletic footwear")
- Research common terms through Adwords keywords tool
- Consider tag clouds and misspellings as fairly played out
Smart about copy (cont.)
- Answer your visitors'/personas' questions
- Is the product reputable? Show reviews, let users review.
- What if it doesn't work? Explain customer satisfaction policy.
Every page should include
- Unique topic
- Unique title (displays in search results)
- Unique meta description for the snippet
- For non-dynamic sites: keywords in the filename, lowercase and hyphen separated
- Descriptive anchor text for every link
Anchor text: Room for improvement
For more information on our product specifications, click here.
Anchor text: Good example!
For more information, please read our product specifications.
More info on sitelinks http://goo.gl/OM2Ji
- Hiring a rogue or shady SEO (if they guarantee anything, that's bad news)
- Participating in link schemes or buying links to pass PageRank
- Focusing more on site fanciness than having indexable/searchable text
- Akamai study finds two seconds as customer "acceptability" threshold for e-commerce sites
- Google aims for under a half-second
More info on performance and SEO http://goo.gl/SnIJt
- Check how you rank for your company name. (Hopefully #1 and with sitelinks.)
- Understand how you rank for other terms through Webmaster Tools' Search Queries (again, video at http://goo.gl/VM31L)
- Get involved.
- No one searches for your new kind of product or service? Perhaps prioritize finding a potential audience/community on existing forums, blogs, or social media sites.
To rank well, provide an awesome product or service, then attract buzz: natural links, +1s, likes, follows, shares...
Social media marketing
You likely have limited resources.
- Think holistically: Create an identity on key sites, participate, connect users to entry point of conversion
- Focus your energy where your audience hangs out
- Play to your authentic strengths
- CEO likes to tweet
- Salesperson enjoys Facebook
- Developer already on Google+, Stack Overflow
Even with great marketing
and terrific advertising,
valuable conversion still happens on your site.
Stay focused and make sure you're ready!
Webmaster and SEO resources
Please visit Webmaster Central: