Taught by the Students Book Study (Mondays at 4:00) November 2-23, 2020
Complete this form if you are interested in joining a book study with other music educators. The featured book is TAUGHT BY THE STUDENTS: CULTURALLY RELEVANT PEDAGOGY AND DEEP ENGAGEMENT IN MUSIC EDUCATION by Ruth Gurgel (Rowman & Littlefield, 2016).
WHAT: You are invited to join other music educators to read and study Gurgel’s popular book.
OUTCOMES: Through participation in this book study, participants will:
• Increase their understanding of Culturally Relevant Pedagogy relative to music teaching and learning
• Increase their understanding of engagement and disengagement related to music classes
• Develop stronger connections with other music educators across the state.
WHO: All Minnesota music educators are welcome. Registration is limited to 14.
FACILITATOR: Wendy Barden, Music Education Specialist in Professional Development and Resource Programs at Perpich Center for Arts Education.
• Now – Secure your copy of TAUGHT BY THE STUDENTS by Ruth Gurgel
• Mon, Nov 2 (4:00-5:00 pm) – Video meeting on pp. xv-40 (Link provided prior to this date)
• Mon, Nov 9 (4:00-5:00 pm) – Video meeting on pp. 41-67
• Mon, Nov 16 (4:00-5:00 pm) – Virtual meeting on pp. 71-97
• Mon, Nov 23 (4:00-5:00 pm) – Virtual meeting on pp. 98-135
TOTAL TIME COMMITMENT: Approximately 10 hours including personal reading/reflection and four Monday discussions. A certificate of CEUs will be provided.
COST: There is no cost to participate (other than securing the book on your own).