Alki Editor Application
The Washington Library Association (WLA) is seeking an Editor for the Alki Journal. A minimum two-year commitment is requested, and the position will begin by March 2020. Editor receives a $3,000 annual honorarium to be delivered in three equal installments, plus approved expenses. Editor must have previous library experience and must be a member of WLA. Applications are due November 19.
Alki Journal is an official publication of WLA published three times a year. It provides WLA members and the statewide library community in-depth information about library issues and concerns, exposure to library research, and an opportunity for writers to publish articles in a library journal.
The Alki Editor is responsible for providing a balanced mixture of relevant and thoughtful articles and features on the interests, responsibilities, and concerns of all library personnel. The journal should be a leader in the field by raising the consciousness of the profession which it serves. Alki should be an aggressive, responsive, and inspirational voice reflecting WLA to a diverse library community.
- Work effectively with the Alki Editorial Committee, WLA staff, Executive Board, Marketing and Communications Committee, contributors, and the library community
- Establish content of Alki in conjunction with Editorial Committee and meet with the Committee at least three times per year
- Identify trends of interest and concern to membership that might be represented in Alki content
- Communicate with and solicit input from the Alki Editorial Committee regarding editorial policy, business, issue themes, content, and procedure items
- Set issue theme and establish tone, substance, and personality of Alki in conjunction with Editorial Committee
- Maintain access to a reliable computer, appropriate software, and internet access
- Ensure that the journal complies with the Publication Guidelines adopted by the WLA Board
- Develop, review, and implement editorial policy, as established by Editorial Committee
- Perform editorial and production work, including proofreading, fact checking, coordinating with WLA's graphic designer on layout and graphics, and coordinating with WLA office on publication via the Association website
- Prepare and coordinate communications related to Alki
- Coordinate advertising and business aspects of Alki, including soliciting and placing advertising and ensuring information is given to WLA office for preparation and distribution of invoices
- Coordinate Alki advertising and other fiscal matters with the WLA office
- Attend and report on Alki at quarterly WLA Board meetings
- Attend WLA Annual Conference
- experience soliciting and preparing content for publication
- copy editing experience, including knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style
Please describe your interest and qualifications.
If you would like to submit a resume or supplemental application materials, please email them to
Send me a copy of my responses.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service