Sedentary behaviours (activities done while sitting) have been shown to have important relationships with many health outcomes. The purpose of this study is to investigate the reliability of 2 questionnaires; the International Sedentary Assessment Tool (ISAT) and the Screen Disorder Scale (SDS). A secondary purpose is to examine the relationship between these questionnaires, demographic characteristics (e.g. age, sex, etc) other health-related behaviours, and quality of life.
This project has been approved by the UPEI Research Ethics Board.
• What am I being asked to do?
If you choose to participate in this study, you will be asked to complete 2 questionnaires related to your sedentary behaviour and screen use on 2 separate occasions (separated by at least 1 week). We expect the questionnaires to take roughly 15 minutes to complete at each occasion, for a total of 30 minutes.
• Who is eligible for this study?
To participate in this study, participants must be aged 16+ years and able to read and write in English. There are no other inclusion or exclusion criteria.
• How will my data be used?
Your data will be stored using a randomly generated ID number. The published research paper resulting from this study will include only aggregated data (e.g. group averages), and will not include personal information for any individual participants. Your personal data will be stored on a password protected computer/hard drive, and only study personnel will have access.
• What are the risks?
We do not anticipate any risks with this study.
• What are the benefits?
You may learn important information about your screen-based sedentary behaviours.
For every 50 participants who complete the questionnaire between January 1 and May 31 of 2018, the researchers will randomly select 1 participant to receive a $50 Mastercard gift card (up to a maximum of 20 gift cards). Selected participants will be contacted via email.
• Will I find out the results of this research?
Once the data have been analyzed, a summary of our findings will be sent to all participants.
If you have any questions regarding this research study, please contact Travis Saunders at email@example.com, or at phone number (902) 566-0641.
• Checking yes below indicates that you have read this consent form, and agree to participate in this research study.
It also indicates that you understand that:
• You can contact the UPEI Research Ethics Board at (902) 620-5104, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have concerns about the ethical conduct of this study. • You are aware that you are free to withdraw from this study at any time, or not answer any question.• Your data will be kept confidential within the limits of the law.• Your participation in this study does not waive your legal rights.