Volunteer Contract and Code of Conduct
Welcome to the Paws for Life Rescue! Thank you for giving your time and energy to help those who cannot help themselves and to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves. Volunteers are the backbone of this organization. We cannot help animals without volunteers. Your passion and commitment is invaluable. They need you and we need you.
Paws for Life will honor your volunteer commitment by providing, as appropriate, volunteer orientation, training, on-the-job supervision and support. We want volunteering to always be a rewarding experience.
Paws for Life reserves the right to change or terminate this contract at any time without notice.
As a Paws for Life volunteer, I agree to:
- Support the mission, goals and efforts of Paws for Life Rescue with a positive attitude.
- Approach my volunteer job responsibilities with professionalism.
- Perform my duties as assigned and directed by my supervisor or director.
- Commit to volunteering a minimum of 20 hours during the entire term of my relationship with Paws for Life.
- Commit to volunteering at least once every six months
- Notify the Volunteer Services Director immediately if I am unable to fulfill these minimum terms.
- Attend volunteer orientation at least once in the next 12 months.
- Provide appropriate notice of unavoidable absence or lateness.
- Treat all animals with respect and kindness.
- Never physically or verbally attack or abuse a person or animal, including but not limited to other volunteers, adopters, board members or any animal of any kind. Such abuse will result in immediate termination of volunteering.
- Promote goodwill by handling contacts with board members, other volunteers, patrons and the general public in a spirit of courtesy and cooperation.
- Report to my volunteer job physically and mentally fit for duty. Paws for Life is a drug-free, alcohol-free* and smoke-free workplace. (*Unless prior approval is granted by the board of directors for alcohol to be present at events and/or functions etc.)
- Deal fairly with all Paws for Life co-workers, supervisors, customers, visitors, volunteers, board members, etc., without regard to their gender, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, military status, veteran status, handicap, or disability.
- Contact the Volunteer Coordinator immediately if I feel discriminated against or harassed by someone in connection with my volunteering.
- Correct, whenever possible, misleading or inaccurate information and representations made by others concerning Paws for Life policies, practices, and procedures, or bring such issues to a staff member’s attention.
- Maintain and safeguard the confidentiality of all business, donor, employee, volunteer, and animal records, credit and financial information and/or any information relating to the operation of the agency that is not known or readily accessible to the public.
- Observe all safety and security rules in the performance of my volunteer job duties. Report all accidents, injuries, fire, theft, or unusual incidents immediately after occurrence or discovery.
- Avoid engaging in any conduct that is or could be perceived as a conflict of interest. Refrain from using Paws for Life property, services or supplies for personal reasons unless given prior permission by the appropriate staff member.
- Contact the Volunteer Coordinator if I have any questions or concerns about Paws for Life’s policies, procedures, interpersonal communications or my volunteer responsibilities.
In order to remain in good standing, I understand I am required to consistently adhere to the Volunteer Code of Conduct.
I have read and understand this contract, and do hereby agree to its terms. I am devoting my time to Paws for Life on a purely voluntary basis and primarily for my own benefit.
I recognize that in handling animals and performing other volunteer tasks, there exists a risk of injury including physical harm caused by the animals. On behalf of myself, my heirs, personal representatives, and executors, I hereby release, discharge indemnify, and hold harmless Paws for Life, its agents, servants, and employees from any and all claims, causes of action, or demands, of any nature or cause, including costs and attorney’s fees incurred, or sustained by me in any way connected with my services for Paws for Life, including, but not limited to, animal bites, scratches, accidents, or injuries.
I agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold Paws for Life, its directors and other volunteers harmless for any and all damage or loss to my personal property while performing my volunteer services for Paws for Life Rescue in a voluntary capacity.