Sign Up to Help to Pass House Bills 4393 and 4389/4390!
The People's Water Board is working to get a hearing on the following bills in the House of Representatives:
Shut-off Protections - House Bill 4393 (Chang)
- Institutes water shut-off protections for seniors, families with minor children, and those who are disabled.
- Provides for clearer notices for households at risk of being shut-off.
- Creates a low-income water assistance fund (similar to Michigan's statute to protect households from utility shut-offs).
Decriminalization - House Bills 4389/4390 (Chang/Garrett)
- Reduces penalty for individuals who reconnect their water service after being shut-off for an inability to pay.
- Currently the recommended sentence for re-connecting service is a five-year felony. The bills would change sentencing to a civil infraction for the first or second offense and a misdemeanor for the third offense.
The two bills above have been referred to the House Committee on Local Government. Please select all of the committee members who represent you or someone you know, or with whom you have a personal or professional relationship.
Chair: State Rep. James Lower, 70th District (R) - Montcalm County and Gratiot County
Julie Alexander, 64th District (R) - Jackson County
Roger Hauck, 99th District (R) - Isabella County and Midland County
Ben Frederick, 85th District (R) - Shiawasse County and Saginaw County
Gary Howell, 82nd District (R) - Lapeer County
Jim Runestad, 44th District (R) - Highland, White Lake, Springfield, Milford, Waterford
Kathy Crawford, 38th District (R) - Lyon, Northville, Novi, South Lyon, Walled Lake
Terry Sabo, 92nd District (D) - Muskegon
Jim Ellison, 26th District (D) - Royal Oak and Madison Heights
Patrick Green, 28th District (D) - Center Line and City of Warren
Jeremy Moss, 35th District (D) - Southfield, Lathrup Village, Beverly Hills, Bingham Farms, Franklin
Please elaborate on the nature of your connections to the representatives you selected above.
The following representatives introduced one or both of the bills. Is your representative listed? If not, can you contact them?
House Bill 4393 (Chang): Chang, Love, Hammond, Pagan, Yanez, Neeley, Wittenberg, Moss, Sneller, Phelps, Geiss, Hoadley, Gay-Dagnogo, Rabhi, LaGrand, Ellison House Bills 4389/4390: Chang, Garrett (4389 only), Hammond (4390 only), Pagan, Yanez, Neeley, Wittenberg, Moss, Sneller, Howrylak, Phelps, Geiss, Hoadley, Gay-Dagnogo, Rabhi, LaGrand, Ellison
They are listed!
They are not listed and I will commit to asking them to co-sponsor the bill(s)
They are not listed and I won't ask them to co-sponsor
If they are not listed and you are committing to having them co-sponsor the bill(s), please indicate which representative you'll contact, their district and which bill(s) you want them to co-sponsor.
Are you affiliated with a particular organization in or outside of the People's Water Board? If so, what is it (e.g. Unitarian Universalists, Detroit Jews for Justice, etc.)?
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service