2020 President's Award
Honors school librarians making an impact on student learning in their early careers.
DESCRIPTION: This award honors an MSLA member who is a “rising star” a career of one to five years, has made a significant impact on student learning through a quality school library program.
The nomination should include specific information of how the nominee demonstrates emerging excellence in school librarianship in one or more of the following categories:
* Inquiry: Explores engaging students in inquiry-based learning experiences.
* Inclusion: Explores providing an environment that is inviting, safe, flexible, and equitable and explores providing access to information that represents diverse points of view.
* Collaboration: Explores providing an environment in which collaboration, innovation, and creative problem solving thrive.
* Curation: Strives to provide a diverse collection of resources and explores how to remove barriers that may prohibit access to library resources.
* Exploration: Explores different instructional methods and technology.
* Engagement: Explores opportunities to promote the ethical use of information, respect of copyright, and ethical online behavior.
CRITERIA / ELIGIBILITY: The nominee must meet all of these requirements:
For at least one full school year and not more than five years:
* has held a professional position as a school librarian
* has completed at least a full school year (Sept-June) but no more than five years at the present school as a school librarian
* has held a professional library degree or state certification as a library teacher
* has been a member of MSLA for a minimum of one year
* has made a significant impact on student learning through a quality school library program. The nomination will detail specific examples of how the nominee has made positive differences in the school through the school library.
NOMINATION PROCESS: Nominations may be made by a member of MSLA or a nonmember. Self-nominations are accepted and encouraged. E-mail all supporting documents by the deadline to
* A complete online nomination form.
* A detailed list of specific program accomplishments.
* A letter of support from the principal or other administrator submitted with the application.
SELECTION: A Task Group will review and rate the nominations. They will make recommendations to the Awards Committee who will make the final recommendations to the MSLA Executive Board for approval.
There may be up to six (6) awards per year.
AWARD: Certificate. The Awards Committee will notify administrators and send press releases to state and local newspapers.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Write an article for the MSLA Forum (coordinated with the MSLA Forum editors) and submit a photo for use on the MSLA webpage. Award winners will create a tabletop display for the IdeaLab at the annual conference.
DUE DATE: January 15, 2020
Email of person making this nomination.
Name of person making this nomination and position. (May be self-nominated.)
Nominee contact info: email, telephone, school, address
Administrator(s) who should be notified about the award. Include names, position and school. S/he will be asked to write a letter of support for the nominee. (S/he may submit a letter using this online form.)
Letter of Nomination
Explain why this nominee deserves the President's Award. Please be specific giving examples of how the nominee has made a significant impact on student learning through a quality school library program. If applicable, include information on how s/he is making a positive contribution to MSLA activities in the region or state.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Massachusetts School Library Association.