Advance registration for the 2018 Trans Equity Summit has closed. Individuals who have not registered are still encouraged to attend, and we will do our best to ensure adequate food and seating. Please email Nicky.Leingang@minneapolismn.gov
with any questions, concerns, or requests. Thank you for your interest in attending the Trans Equity Summit!
The Fifth annual Minneapolis Trans Equity Summit will take place on Thursday, October 4th at Hennepin Theater Trust, 900 Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis. Registration begins with coffee and tea at 9 a.m., and the first session begins at 10 a.m. The event is hosted by the City of Minneapolis in collaboration with the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board and Minneapolis Public Schools. Community members and organizations interested in furthering transgender equity are encouraged to attend.
You can also join the discussion & share information about the event on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/1227050454099707/
This year’s focus is on health and wellness, with breakout sessions on the services available in Minnesota, overcoming barriers to care, and strategies for mental health resiliency. Following the Summit, the Minneapolis Transgender Equity Council will host a social event at Hennepin Theater Trust.
On Friday, October 5, there will be a Career and Health Fair at Minneapolis City Hall hosted by the Minnesota Transgender Health Coalition, Twin Cities Quorum, and Twin Cities Pride. The event includes professional resume review, and leading employers will accept resumes and discuss available positions. Registration for resume review is strongly encouraged due to limited appointment times, which can be done at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/gFKWQcZn7MqRFMvi2
Employers who wish to table at the Career and Health Fair can register online at https://quorum.wildapricot.org/event-3069384
The Summit will include:
• A keynote panel by Kye Allums, the first African American openly transgender athlete in sports history
• An update about trans equity work happening within the City of Minneapolis
• Presentations by local organizations leading the charge on transgender health equity
• An opportunity to meet members of the City’s newly appointed advisory board, the Transgender Equity Council.
• This event is free and open to the public, and lunch will be provided.
Thursday, October 4, 2018
• 9 a.m. – doors open
• 10 a.m. – opening plenary session
• 11:15 a.m. – concurrent breakout sessions (choose one)
o Services in Minnesota: What do local clinics offer? What can experts share about getting the care you need?
o Mental Health Resiliency: What resources and tools are available to promote mental health?
o Overcoming Barriers to Care: How can you access the care you need? What community supports can help you?
• 12:30 p.m. – lunch
• 1:30 p.m. – concurrent breakout sessions (choose one)
• 2:45 p.m. – second plenary session
• 4:00 p.m. – event ends
• 5:00 p.m. – social event hosted by the Minneapolis Transgender Equity Council
• 7:30 p.m. – social event ends
Friday, October 5, 2018
• 10 a.m. – career and health fair at Minneapolis City Hall
• 2 p.m. – event ends
Please indicate if you will need an ASL interpreter during the Summit. For ASL interpretation and all other reasonable accommodations or alternative formats please contact Nicky Leingang at 612-673-2509 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
. People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626. Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. A private, calm & quiet space will be available at this event.