NSF S-STEM Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
For students considering admission at the University of Washington in Seattle into Chemical Engineering (CHEM E) to start Spring quarter 2020, OR Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) and/or Mechanical Engineering (M E) to start in Autumn quarter 2020
Scholarship Application Deadlines:
• Chemical Engineering: Consult
for current deadline
• April 15, 2020 for Materials Science and Engineering and Mechanical Engineering 11:59pm
To win this scholarship you must complete three steps:
(1) be admitted to the UW, and
(2) be admitted to one of our three departments, and
(3) be awarded this scholarship.
Please consult the links at
for information on steps 1 and 2.
To be eligible to be awarded this scholarship, you must complete and submit this application by the appropriate application deadline, AND you MUST gain Pell Eligibility via the information you provide in your FAFSA application.
Any questions about the UW admission process, admission to our three departments, or application to this scholarship should be directed to:
Sandra Maddox, Program Manager for the UW Seattle Engineering NSF S-STEM Scholarship Program,
1. Your name
2. Your address
3. Your phone number
4. Your email address
5. Your Current Washington State Community College?
If you have attended more that one within the last year of your schooling, please list the school you've attended the majority of the time first, followed by any additional schools
6. Where (or from whom) did you learn about this scholarship program?
7. Have you completed your 2020-2021 FAFSA yet?
8. If YES in #7, Have you been declared Pell Eligible for 2020-2021
9. If NO in #7, do you expect to be declared Pell Eligible for 2020-2021
FAFSA, The Scholarship, & UW Financial Aid
In order to receive this scholarship, you must be declared Pell Eligible for 2020-2021. Please submit your FAFSA as soon as possible and don’t forget to list the UW on your application.
It is to your advantage, in terms of receiving the best quality award package from the UW, to submit your FAFSA by the UW priority deadline of January 15th.
10. Currently, which of the three eligible engineering departments are you considering as your first, second, and third choices?
(it’s ok if you are not considering all three departments. Just indicate which ones and you are considering).
Materials Science and Engineering
Materials Science and Engineering
Regarding the Chemical Engineering application and multiple department consideration
CHEM E’s application process and start date are earlier that MSE’s or M E’s dates, see
for those dates. If you are primarily interested in CHEM E but would be interested in applying to MSE or M E if you are not admitted to CHEM E, please list either one of both of the departments above in question 10, and the Program Manager will make sure you are contacted with information about the MSE or M E application process if you are not admitted to CHEM E.
Regarding the MSE and M E application and multiple department consideration
MSE and M E application deadlines are identical and so applying to both departments is very easy. The UW application deadline is the same, and the College application is the same – if you apply to multiple departments you simply write an admission essay for each department.
In the rare event that you apply and are admitted to CHEM E, join the department in Spring quarter 2020, and decide that MSE or M E would be a better fit for your interests so you apply to MSE or M E for Autumn 2020, please reach out to the Program Manager for more information.
11. In at least 250 words, please discuss why have you selected to study engineering in at least one of our eligible departments?
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of UW.