Older LGBTQI People Call to Action Pledge - Organizational Sign-On
Due to a lifetime of experiencing different forms of oppressions including homophobia, heterosexism, transphobia, sexism, and ageism, older LGBTQI persons are less likely than heterosexual and/or cisgender (non-trans) older persons to access support from non-LGBTQI health service providers, and other types of social support programs because they fear discrimination and sexual harassment.
By submitting my name I, on behalf of my organization, in respect of older Persons of Diverse Sexualities, Gender Identities, and Bodies (LGBTQI), pledge:
- To recognize the full enjoyment of all human rights of older LGBTQI persons without any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, diverse bodies, sex characteristics, and HIV status.
- To respect the right to freedom of expression and opinion of older LGBTQI persons as well as their right to personal liberty and a full, independent and autonomous life;
- To ensure LGBTQI older persons’ right to privacy and intimacy;
- To assess and address the specific care and service needs of older LGBTQI persons and to implement measures to respond to those needs by ensuring qualified employees are trained about the rights and needs of older LGBTQI persons;
- To safeguard the rights of older LGBTQI persons to general and sexual health as well as financial, housing, social and legal supports which attend and respond to their individual needs;
- To stop physical, sexual, emotional and/or psychological abuse and to empower older LGBTQI persons to safeguard their physical, emotional, psychological and sexual wellbeing;
- To pursue practices that prevent the abandonment, negligence, and isolation of older LGBTQI persons and encourage their full social inclusion and participation within an enabling environment;
- To promote older LGBTQI persons participation in intergenerational activities that strengthen solidarity and mutual support; and
- To pursue collaboration with agencies and organizations that serve and address the needs of communities that intersect with the older LGBTQI person population.