Older LGBTQI People Call to Action Pledge - Organizational Sign-On
Due to a lifetime of experiencing different forms of oppressions including homophobia, heterosexism, transphobia, sexism, and ageism, older LGBTQI persons are less likely than heterosexual and/or cisgender (non-trans) older persons to access support from non-LGBTQI health service providers, and other types of social support programs because they fear discrimination and sexual harassment.
By submitting my name I, on behalf of my organization, in respect of older Persons of Diverse Sexualities, Gender Identities, and Bodies (LGBTQI), pledge:
- To recognize the full enjoyment of all human rights of older LGBTQI persons without any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, diverse bodies, sex characteristics, and HIV status.
- To respect the right to freedom of expression and opinion of older LGBTQI persons as well as their right to personal liberty and a full, independent and autonomous life;
- To ensure LGBTQI older persons’ right to privacy and intimacy;
- To assess and address the specific care and service needs of older LGBTQI persons and to implement measures to respond to those needs by ensuring qualified employees are trained about the rights and needs of older LGBTQI persons;
- To safeguard the rights of older LGBTQI persons to general and sexual health as well as financial, housing, social and legal supports which attend and respond to their individual needs;
- To stop physical, sexual, emotional and/or psychological abuse and to empower older LGBTQI persons to safeguard their physical, emotional, psychological and sexual wellbeing;
- To pursue practices that prevent the abandonment, negligence, and isolation of older LGBTQI persons and encourage their full social inclusion and participation within an enabling environment;
- To promote older LGBTQI persons participation in intergenerational activities that strengthen solidarity and mutual support; and
- To pursue collaboration with agencies and organizations that serve and address the needs of communities that intersect with the older LGBTQI person population.
The International Federation on Ageing (IFA) and the Working Group on Older LGBTQI People are seeking to improve awareness through new learnings of the inequalities experienced by older LGBTQI persons and build expertise to create solutions. Part of this awareness campaign is a formal Call to Action, which has been developed in partnership with SAGE and Egale Canada Human Rights Trust. This Call to Action is grounded on the principles on the Inter-American Declaration of Human Rights for Older Persons and was formally presented at the IFA 2018 14th Global Conference on Ageing 8-10 August 2018, Toronto, Canada. Governments, academia, not-for-profit and industry members are being asked to to sign on to the Call to Action and be part of a global movement to bring visibility and change to the inequities experienced by older LGBTQI people.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service