2021 GIDAS Genes & Health Contest
UM GIDAS and miRcore will hold its ninth annual GIDAS (Genes in Diseases and Symptoms) Genes and Health Contest with the support of Michigan Institute for Computational Discovery and Engineering (MICDE) of the University of Michigan. The event aims to promote study and interest in bioscience and personalized medicine among high school students and to recognize their hard work through enjoyable challenges and rewards. The main contest participants are GIDAS members, but any high school students are welcome to join the contest.
Date: January 30, 2021 (2 pm - 5 pm, Eastern time; 11 am - 2 pm, Pacific time)
Location: All online
The Genes and Health contest consists of two subjects:
1. Basic genomics and bioinformatics
2. This year's disease of focus: COVID-19 (2020-2021)
More information about the contest:
• Students will participate in teams from each school and as individuals; there are small cash prizes for winners (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) in both the team and individual sessions.
• GIDAS group and/or individual student talent show and award ceremony follow the competition. Participants have the opportunity to showcase their various talents to the attendees while they await contest results. Last year they played music, performed skits, stand-up comedy, and magic tricks.
• Families are invited to student performances. The contest will showcase our high school students’ talents and reward their hard work, as well as serve as a fun gathering.
• There is no fee to participate in but registration is required.
• Students’ photographs may be taken during the event for miRcore’s activity record. If you don't consent to release these photographs for GIDAS related activities, please contact us at
You can find study materials from
School City, State (example: Ann Arbor, MI)
American Indian or Alaska Native
Black or African American
Hispanic or Latino
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
Can you use a laptop?
No, I cannot.
Are you a GIDAS member?
Online participation poses diverse problems. Your positive attitude can make this event a success.
I will honor best testing practice (honestly follow rules).
I understand that technical problems (including internet) may occur and my score may not fully reflect my test results.
I will enjoy this event as a friendly gathering one with like-minded people who likes to expand knowledge.
Which section will you participate in? (If not enough registration for offer advanced session, we will divide the section by the grade level)
Advanced Research Contest
Where did you learn about this event?
If you like to perform at the talent show, what is yours?
Priority - group performance of each GIDAS chapter
Please donate to support this program:
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service