aMaSSiT is your next deep step in identifying and articulating your unique choreographic voice. First introduced in 2013, The Dance Complex’s aMaSSiT program is a four-month long course of class "labs" focusing on choreographic skills and tool building. This unique program - open to choreographers of all dance genres - is structured both to foster those early in their choreographic ventures and and to deeply challenge artists with years of experience.
In the past, The Dance Complex has invited a variety of dance makers to join the lab, including those specializing in tap, burlesque, musical theater, contemporary ballet, and modern. The aMaSSiT program has received recognition and praise from dance professionals both locally and nationally, including Dance Magazine. aMaSSiT is funded, in part, by Cambridge Arts.
The 2018 season of aMaSSiT will emphasize artistic and administrative process. How does our creative process contribute to the success of our work in the scope of generating, structuring, and resolving movement? How does our administrative process, or lack thereof, contribute to the success of our work in terms of funding, promoting, and presenting our project? This session of aMaSSiT will pay equal mind to both of these questions by providing participants with two series of workshops, THINKING and MOVING, as well as ample opportunity to show and witness work for the purposes of peer response and critique. Special consideration will be given to any applicant who demonstrates a clear and strong desire to shake up their creative process and reprioritizing their administrative process.
Please be aware of the following dates:
Friday 12/1/2017: Applications OpenWednesday 1/17/2018: Applications CloseThursday 1/25/2018: Acceptance Notices Out
WORKSHOPS:Monday 2/5/2018, 7:30-10pm: Thinking Workshop: "Witness & Respond"Sunday 2/11/2018, 3-5pm: Thinking Workshop: "Marketing & Communications"Monday 2/12/2018, 7:30-8:30pm: Moving Workshop: "Movement Generation"Sunday 3/11/2018, 3-5pm: Thinking Workshop: "Grant Writing"Monday 3/12/2018, 7:30-10pm: Moving Workshop: "Structuring Movement"Sunday 4/8/2018, 3-5pm: Thinking Workshop: "Producer Relations"Monday 4/23/2018, 7:30-10pm: Moving Workshop: "Finding Resolution"
SHOWINGS:Monday 2/12/2018, 8:30-10pmMonday 2/26/2018, 7:30-10pmMonday 3/26/2018, 7:30-10pmMonday 4/9/2018, 7:30-10pmMonday 5/7/2018, 7:30-10pmMonday 5/21/2018, 7:30-10pm * Final showing, free and open to the public
2) Applicants must currently be making work and exploring their choreographic voice within the dance community.
3) Proposed works are expected to be no more than 10 minutes in length.
4) Collaborations are welcome on a case-by-case basis, however each individual will be required to pay the full fee. Special consideration will be given to collaborations that cross medium or genre (i.e. tap/modern collaboration; film/dance collaboration; etc).
5) Those accepted to the program are expected to be working and creating actively and independently throughout the course of the program.
6) During the course of the program, each aMaSSiT participant is expected to hold one rehearsal that is open to guest mentors and other aMaSSiT participants, with the option to open the rehearsal up to the general community as well. This rehearsal must be submitted to Kristin for scheduling by 2/15/2018.
7) Chosen artists are expected to present work at each aMaSSiT lab session. Artists are expected to be present for the entirety of each lab, and attendance at all aMaSSiT labs is considered mandatory.
8) For any future presentations of works created or revisited during the aMaSSiT lab course, we ask that you credit The Dance Complex in future programs along with the credits for the piece (example: This dance was first created for/developed in part during the 2018 aMaSSiT Choreography Lab at The Dance Complex, Cambridge, MA).
9) Each aMaSSiT artist will be awarded $120 of studio space credit via MindBody at The Dance Complex upon completion of the program as encouragement to continue to develop and explore works made throughout the program. This award is contingent on adherence to the expectations outlined above.
10) Each work created during the aMaSSiT Choreography Lab will be considered for placement in future Dance Complex produced shows, and aMaSSiT artists will be granted a 20% discount on performance rental at The Dance Complex, valid through August 31, 2019, contingent on adherence to the expectations outlined above.