Midtown Greenway Coalition: Volunteer for our Board of Directors
Board of Directors Application
The Midtown Greenway Coalition seeks diverse volunteers to serve on our board. We will work to identify, recruit, and retain candidates that are reflective of the racial and ethnic diversity of our community.
We are committed to having representation from BIPOC community members on our board of directors, and we reserve 9 seats on our board exclusively for BIPOC board members. We strongly encourage BIPOC members of our community to apply.
Applications for this recruitment period will close on March 31. Please apply ASAP if you are interested.
If you have questions prior to submitting this application, please contact
. Or visit
Thank you for your interest in joining our board!
The Midtown Greenway Coalition is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Our founders had the idea for the Midtown Greenway, then worked for years to get it built by government agencies. Now, we work to protect and enhance it.
We do not own or operate the Greenway, but act as a "Friends" group that advocates for it and works to keep it the best urban bike trail in the nation.
- We are working to extend the Greenway trail over the river and through Saint Paul.
- We work to keep the Greenway clean and green through trash clean-ups and tree plantings.
- We organize a volunteer ambassador group to walk and bike on the Greenway and nearby streets.
- We organize the Greenway Glow Arts Festival and work to get more public art into the Greenway.
- We meet with developers to help ensure they build Greenway-friendly buildings.
Our mission is to empower communities to develop, improve, protect, and enjoy the
Midtown Greenway as a green urban corridor to improve people's lives.
Diversity: embracing all forms of diversity including race, ethnicity, national
origin, ability, class, faith, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, experience,
interests and passion.
Equity: committed to ensuring equitable access to power, opportunities and
resources for those who live along, work around and use the Greenway.
Inclusion: seek learning from and supporting those who represent and reflect
Greenway communities through respectful and welcoming engagements.
Responsibilities of the Midtown Greenway Coalition (MGC) Board:
As the highest leadership body of the organization and to satisfy its fiduciary duties, the
board is responsible for:
• determining the mission and purposes of the organization
• selecting and evaluating the performance of the chief executive
• strategic and organizational planning
• ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
• fundraising and resource development
• approving and monitoring the organization’s programs and services
• enhancing the organization’s public image
• assessing its own performance as the governing body of the organization
Responsibilities of Individual Board Members:
• know and support the organization’s mission, values, programs, and projects
• know and support the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, and
• faithfully read and understand the organization’s financial statements
• serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organization, while ensuring
that diverse community voices are heard by the organization; board members will
seek to create two-way communication between the community and the MGC
• fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships
necessary for the organization to advance its mission
• leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully
achieve the organization’s mission
• there is no minimum or maximum donation required, but we do ask board members to give a personally meaningful annual financial donation; as the volunteers closest to the
organization, board members are asked to consider giving at the "Friends of the
Greenway" level ($10+/month); the expectation is that all board members will be annual donors to the organization, whatever the amount.
• help identify personal connections that can benefit the organization’s fundraising
and reputational standing, and can influence public policy
• prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings
• participate in our largest special event, the Greenway Glow Arts Festival
• Board members are active volunteers. They are expected to donate 1-2 hours per
week supporting the organization.
• This includes 11 monthly board meetings, which are 2 hours long on average.
Some meetings may be virtual. There is also an annual board retreat, which is
usually a half day.
• In addition to attending monthly board meetings, board members are expected to
serve on a sub-committee or formally commit to assisting the organization in
some way, such as recruiting corporate sponsors or donating services such as graphic design.
What is your place of employment? (Foundations require us to list where our board members work. If you are retired and/or do not currently have a job, please feel free to list "community volunteer.")
Please identify your racial, ethnic and/or cultural background, if comfortable. The Midtown Greenway Coalition uses this information to gauge its effectiveness in recruiting a diverse group of volunteers.
Black or African American
Native American or American Indian
Pacific Islander or Native Hawaiian
More than one race
Prefer not to answer
I identify my gender as:
Prefer not to say
Please share your preferred pronouns:
No pronoun or no preference
How did you learn about the board opening at the Midtown Greenway Coalition?
Do you have experience serving on a nonprofit board?
Professional Skills and Experience that you will bring to help support the organization. (Please feel free to click the Other button at the end if you would like to list several/additional areas of expertise.)
Outreach and/or skills in reaching diverse members of our community
Management and Leadership
Program experience, such as working with youth, artists, or the bicycling community
Marketing and Communications
Facilities and Real Estate
Public Policy and Advocacy
Strategic and Business Planning
In one or two sentences, why are you interested in joining our board?
Additional Information about your interests and skills that you would like to share.
Thank you for applying to serve on the board of directors for the Midtown Greenway Coalition! We will be in touch soon regarding your application.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Midtown Greenway Coalition.