MJPS Online 2020-21 Social Media Staff Applications
Application Deadline: Monday, September 14, 2020, at 11:59 pm.
NOTE: Women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, those with disabilities, 2SLGBTQQIA persons and those from marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
Thank you for your interest in the McGill Journal of Political Studies (MJPS) Online, the online publication of the Political Science Students’ Association (PSSA) at McGill University. We are a team of passionate students, dedicated to publishing insightful political analysis on a daily basis.
We cover topics that fall under the four disciplines of political science offered at McGill:
1. International Relations - international bodies and relations between nation-states
2. Comparative Politics - analyzing domestic politics through comparison between countries
3. Political Theory - thoughtful analysis of political theory and, where possible, its application to current events
4. Canadian Politics - all things related to Canadian domestic and international politics
Our team consists of an editor in chief, two managing editors, nine editors, and 24 staff writers as well as a social media director and four social media staff. Applications to become a section editor or staff writer can be found on our website as well as our social media pages.
This application is for prospective social media staff for the 2021/21 academic year. As we are an entirely student-run publication, this is a volunteer position.
Our social media team is an essential part of our team and plays an important role in effectively communicating our brand and expanding our readership. This year, we will have two different types of social media staff:
1) Newsletter Editors - two team members that will work to produce our bi-weekly newsletter ‘Your Week in Politics’.
Responsibilities would include:
- Conceptualizing the theme for our bi-weekly newsletter in collaboration with the editor in chief and social media director
- Reaching out to section editors to collect the most insightful articles in each section that align with the chosen theme
- Identifying and developing the “engagement” section for each newsletter including unique charts, polls or photos
- Formating each aspect of the newsletter including the editor’s note, chosen articles from each section, feature article and engagement section
- Ensuring each newsletter blast is formatted and sent out by the deadline
2) Social Media Editors - two team members that will contribute to the day-to-day management of the MJPS's social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin.
Responsibilities would include:
- Using pulled quotes from each article to schedule social media posts on Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter
- Designing banners and other graphics to be the featured image for special series
- Working with the Social Media Director to determine the overall social media direction of the publication and share ideas for social media projects
All members of the MJPS are obliged to respect our Code of Ethics:
- For newsletter editors, the average time commitment would be approximately 4-7 hours a week.
- For social media editors, the average time commitment would be approximately 3-5 hours a week.
1. Passionate about political analysis with strong analytical skills and attention to detail
2. Broad knowledge of and/or experience in social media management (for social media editors) as well as graphic design and newsletter creation (for newsletter editors).
3. Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and Hubspot is an asset but not required.
4. Reliable time-management skills
5. Strong visual communications skills
The ideal candidates are detail-oriented, innovative with strong visual communication skills and initiative.
To apply, please fill out the following form and attach the visual samples as instructed. Please respect the word limit for each question.
To facilitate a more equitable hiring process, the MJPS Online is implementing a rubric-based application. Each question is designed to holistically assess one of the aforementioned qualifications. The qualification being assessed is disclosed before each question.
NOTE: The MJPS Online is committed to providing an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations during the application process, please contact
If you have any questions, comments and/or concerns please contact Eyitayo Kunle-Oladosu at
. We look forward to reading your application!
Editor-in-Chief, MJPS Online
Page 1 of 3
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service