Unchained Melodies: Vocalist Submissions
Unchained Melodies is a virtual cabaret that explores the black roots in popular music genres today! Join us as we journey from the slave spirituals sung on plantations to the early beginnings of blues and jazz. The show will be pre-recorded by the performers and streamed live on February 13, 2021.
Seeking 10-20 Black vocalists of all ages including biracial and mixed-race singers. All applicants need to be confident singers comfortable learning new music by ear, over Zoom and on their own. Ensemble members will be in 6-7 songs. Soloists will be in 2-3 songs. All applicants should reside in the United States.
Please send the materials below to Kirsten Lang at
before January 10, 2021. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. If you want to be considered for a soloist, you must submit all three videos listed below.
- 16-32 bars of a song in any of the following genres acapella: gospel/spiritual, folk, country, swing
- Any 8-16 bar section of Lift Every Voice and Sing (acapella or w/ a track)
- For Soloists Only: 16-32 bars of a jazz, blues, or R&B song w/ a track
COVER LETTER MATERIAL
All applicants must select one question below and record a video cover letter. All responses should be between 1-5 minutes long. Send this response along with your vocal material.
- How has music helped empower you?
- Who is your favorite Black musician and what does their music mean to you?
- What genre is your favorite to sing and why?
- Ensemble members will have 6-12 hours of live rehearsal time over Zoom.
- Soloists will have 6-10 hours of live rehearsal time over Zoom.
- The specific schedule will be determined after casting.
- All performances must be pre-recorded by the performer and submitted according to deadlines.
Introduction of the Cabaret
Narration: Black Music During Slavery
Slave Spirituals - Ensemble with Soloists
Narration: Emancipation, Share Cropping, Prison Gangs
Work Songs - Ensemble
Narration: Jim Crow and the Birth of Blues
Narration: Segregation and Jazz
Narration: The Ongoing Impact of Black Music
Finale: Lift Every Voice and Sing (Ensemble)
All performers will split a majority share of ticket sales and 100% of the NextStage performer tip jar.
Location + Time Zone
I want to be considered for....
Please describe your comfort level with harmonizing.
What equipment do you have available to record your show content?
Generally, describe your schedule between now and February 13th.
I understand I must submit my video cover letter and all required vocal materials to Kirsten Lang at
before January 10, 2021.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Tyler Phillips.