2. Ability to handle any and all situations indigenous to the area of responsibility
3. Medical doctor's statement certifying that you are in satisfactory medical condition to participate in the performance testing and can perform the duties of a lifeguard. Your doctor must complete and sign the physical form included with the application This is required for all lifeguards.
4. Each new applicant will participate in a pre-employment strength, stamina, and swim test. This test will consist of the applicant completing a distance of 500 meters in a time of 10 minutes, a 50 meter cross chest carry of a victim,and a 1 ½ mile run in 12 minutes.
5. All lifeguard applicants will be trained in American Heart Association Professional Care Giver CPR. This will include training/testing in one man adult, two man adult, infant, child CPR, obstructed airway, and breathing devices.
6. All lifeguard applicants will be trained/tested in American Red Cross or comparable Standard First Aid, cervical and spinal immobilization, emergencies specific to the beachfront, other common first aid emergencies, and interfacing with outside agencies with respect to medical emergencies. The above coursework satisfies the United States Lifesaving Association (USLA) minimum 21 hours of first aid training.
7. All lifeguard applicants hired (in training), will attend “Lifeguard School," which includes a course of a minimum of 40 hours of open water lifeguard training, lifeguard operations skills, ocean awareness, and other information pertinent to the job of a lifeguard - such as review and understanding of Borough policies and procedures, including sexual harassment, workplace violence,whistle-blower protections and the proper procedure to report such incidents.
8. All lifeguards hired will be subject to a background check, which includes a criminal background check and driver's license checks pursuant Borough policy.
I authorize investigation of all statements and information contained in this application and give the Borough the right to investigate the information I have provided. I release the Borough and its representatives from all liability for investigating such information.
I understand and acknowledge that, unless otherwise defined by applicable law, any employment relationship with the Borough is of an “at will” nature, which means that I may resign at any time and the Borough may discharge me at any time with or without cause and with or without notice.
I understand that any offer of employment is subject to me providing the job-related medical information requested. I also understand that my employment is conditioned on me passing a complete background check, which includes a criminal background check and driver’s license check.