Adapted Physical Education Teacher of the Year
Due June 1
California State Council on Adapted Physical Education
Physical educators, who meet the eligibility requirements and exemplify the criteria for this award, may apply or be nominated by a colleague.
Eligibility requirements include:
1. Current membership in CAHPERD;
2. Holds Adapted Physical Education authorization;
3. Minimum of five years teaching experience in Adapted Physical Education
4. Full-time teaching contract, current at the time of nomination and selection;
Minimum of 50% of total teaching responsibility is in Adapted Physical Education.
5. Recommended current SHAPE America membership for potential of moving on for National APE TOY.
For the purposes of this award, an adapted physical educator is defined as an individual assigned at least 50% of his/her teaching responsibility in adapted physical education providing direct and/or consultative services to individuals with disabilities ages’ birth to adult. The applicant must be a teacher who:
1. Conducts an appropriate physical education program as reflected in the students’ IEP's and generally accepted standards of practice for APE;
2. Utilizes various teaching methodologies and plans innovative learning experiences to meet the needs of all students;
3. Serves as a positive role model epitomizing personal health and fitness, enjoyment of activity, and sensitivity to the physical and emotional needs of all students;
4. Participates in professional development opportunities;
5. Provides service to individuals with disabilities through advocacy, consultation, in-service training presentations and/or active membership in related professional organizations.
Teachers may have responsibility for teaching general PE, but applications can be submitted only for the APE part of the teaching assignment. A staff member who can attest that the applicant’s teaching assignment consists of teaching APE at least 50% of the time must complete a form included in the packet.
Full Mailing Address
E-Mail Address (year-round)
Present Place of Employment
Full-time teaching contract, current at the time of nomination and selection;Minimum of 50% of total teaching responsibility is in Adapted Physical Education.
Address of Employment
Start Date of Employment
Name, Title, email address, phone number of immediate supervisor
Work History (minimum of 5 years in the field of APE required)
Education Information (Universities, Degrees/Majors, credentials, authorizations) - must hold APE credential/authorization)
Career Information (position, location, length of service)
Significant Achievements in the field of Adapted Physical Education:
Community Service (types and dates)
Outline participation in providing service to individuals with disabilities through advocacy, consultation, in-service training presentations and/or active membership in related professional organizations.
Verification of Teaching Assignment
Provide a letter from a school administrator/supervisor or payroll personnel who can verify the applicant teaches Adapted Physical Education for at least 50% of her/her contractual assignment.
A statement from a school administrator should contain -
"I attest to the fact that this applicant __________________________ currently teaches Adapted Physical
Education _____________________ percent of his/her teaching assignment. (A minimum of 50% is required to be eligible for this award )
List the names, titles, email address, phone number of 3 authors of letters of recommendation. LETTERS SHOULD BE DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE AWARD CRITERIA (submit the 3 letters of recommendation to
Form completed by name, email address, phone
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This content is neither created nor endorsed by Google.
Terms of Service