On October 25, Yeshiva University leadership announced the creation of a new initiative, Kol Yisrael Areivim, intended for LGBTQ+ students. This initiative was created without the knowledge of any LGBTQ+ students at YU, student leaders, and the Office of Student Life, despite following shortly after the initiation of open, good-faith dialogue between YU leadership and LGBTQ+ students. As supporters of YU, we respectfully ask YU leadership to listen to its LGBTQ+ students so this conflict can be resolved peacefully and privately and so LGBTQ+ Jews will get the full recognition and support they deserve in their Jewish communities. Specifically, we ask for the following:
- Dissolve the new Kol Yisrael Areivim initiative, as no LGBTQ+ students were involved in or consulted about its creation.
- Re-enter dialogue with the Pride Alliance.
- Commit to full transparency and cooperation with the Pride Alliance in finding a new solution, including the following:
- Naming specific objections to the Pride Alliance’s proposals.
- Clearly and specifically delineating the requirements the Pride Alliance needs to meet to earn approval from YU administration and the Office of Student Life.
- Clearly and specifically delineating the requirements any potential Pride Alliance events and initiatives need to meet in order to earn approval.
If you are a student, alumna/us, faculty, or staff member of YU and wish to sign the letter in that capacity as well, you may sign again using this form: bit.ly/SignYULetter
Guidelines for signing:
1. Please only fill out this form if you are a current or former donor to Yeshiva University in any amount.
2. If you are an individual, please use your full name. If you are representing a foundation or trust, use the First Name and Last Name fields to enter the name of the foundation/trust you are representing.
3. If you are filling this form on behalf of yourself and your spouse or significant other: if you share a last name please include both of your first names in the First Name field, and your shared last name in the Last Name field. If you do not share a last name, write your full name in the First Name field and your spouse's/significant other's full name, preceded by "and" in the Last Name field.
3. Please do not use pseudonyms.
4. Please include all YU schools you have donated to. If you have given to multiple schools, select the school that is your primary beneficiary, followed by other schools. If you are a donor to the university in general, select "Yeshiva University".
5. Please bear in mind that this letter will be able to be viewed by the public, and that we are collecting emails for spam prevention purposes only.